Menu

Secular Homeschooling Magazine

Greta

I was at my homeschool group's park day today, and one of the other moms had the first two issues of Secular Homeschooling Magazine. I had not heard of it, so I thought I would pass the info along in case anyone else might be interested. It looked really great. It's entirely articles, without any advertisements except for one on the back cover. Very simple, black and white, no colorful glossy pages. But it looks really "meaty" and informative. I ordered the first issue just now and I can't wait to get it so that I can really read the articles rather than just flipping through it.

http://www.secular-homeschooling.com/

I love Home Education magazine, but it's geared towards unschooling.

Yes, same here, which was part of why I was so excited to see this magazine. I should qualify what I'm about to say, though. I only flipped through two issues, I didn't have the opportunity to really read. But I got the impression that a variety of styles and philosophies will be discussed. The second issue kind of "featured" a Charlotte Mason approach. While the first issue seemed to be more an introduction to what secular homeschooling is and how it looks in the real world, that sort of thing. You can view the titles of the articles from those first two issues on the website. That might help you decide if it will be right for you. And you can order issues individually rather than subscribing to get a taste for it. HTH!

Dang, $7 per edition is alot and there's no price break for a subscription.

I get 6 editions of my glossy hs mag for only $20. But I guess without advertising the printing costs might be higher even for b/w?

I think I'll wait to hear a few more reviews, thanks for the tip though!

I subscribe to this magazine. It is expensive because currently there are basically no ads. The publisher intensively examines every potential advertiser ... her "niche" is that all materials must be non-religious. NOTE: "Secular" in the context of this magazine means "not religious in approach/content." It does NOT mean anti-religious. As in Merriam-Webster's definition: "1 a: of or relating to the worldly or temporal <secular concerns> b: not overtly or specifically religious <secular music> " The publisher has taken a lot of flak from people who assume the latter. There aren't many non-religious curricula sources that would want to advertise in a home schooling magazine of that type ... so advertising will likely remain at a low level.

There have been two issues printed. One was general/introductory type stuff, the second featured a Charlotte Mason section. The publisher seems to want to provide useful info for home schoolers using all approaches.

I committed my money to a subscription because I feel a great need for this type of magazine. We are a religious family, but we do not home school for religious reasons. And I find it irritating that so many people assume that it's all about religion ... including many home schoolers. That is one reason I don't read other home schooling magazines. So I hope Secular Homeschooling can find more subscribers and/or advertisers and keep on going.

Karen

P.S. I'm also looking for a magazine about home schooling high school. Does anyone know of such an animal?

Karen, thanks so much for your explanation. I agree that this magazine seems to fill a niche, one that is important to me, which was previously vacant. I'm willing to pay for that too -- hey, Mother's Day is coming up, maybe I'll luck out and get a gift subscription! Also, I feel much more ripped off when I pay $5 or $6 for a magazine that is 2/3 advertisements, than one which is $7 but has virtually no advertisements. I mean, I understand we can only do what we can do; not everyone's budget will permit this. My budget isn't exactly overflowing with excess funds (ha!) but I think I can swing it.

I wish I could help you regarding the homeschooling high school magazine. I'll keep my ears open.

Here is the editor of that magazine's blog, and the last two entries are about her advertising policies. She even seems to be referencing this thread! Oh my.

Still, she convinced me... things are tight right now but I think I'll be getting a subscription with my economy stimulation non-refund check. I just asked the other day on here how one finds good, secular programs and didn't really receive any answers that totally made me happy. This magazine sounds like a good resource.

Here is the editor of that magazine's blog, and the last two entries are about her advertising policies. She even seems to be referencing this thread! Oh my.

Is just me, or does the tone of this editor's blog seem rather snarky? First she identifies herself as a feminist, then she proceeds to condescend to homeschooling mothers by hinting that they cannot balance their budgets enough to purchase her precious magazine. I was ready to order a copy, but if her blog reflects the tone of the magazine, no thanks!

Edited to add: This was not meant as a jab at the OP. I truly was interested... until I read the blog!

-Robin

Is just me, or does the tone of this editor's blog seem rather snarky? First she identifies herself as a feminist, then she proceeds to condescend to homeschooling mothers by hinting that they cannot balance their budgets enough to purchase her precious magazine. I was ready to order a copy, but if her blog reflects the tone of the magazine, no thanks!

I agree that the tone was a little... abrupt, but I think she was mainly exasperated by the catch-22 of it costing so much that it's driving away customers, and that at the same time lack of customers is preventing ad sales (which is why it costs so much). And when she actually lays out the math, it's not so much.

Edited to add: This was not meant as a jab at the OP. I truly was interested... until I read the blog!

-Robin

The tone of her blog didn't come across that way to me, but I have read her blog in the past and am used to reading her posts and style in which she writes. I have also followed the journey of her starting the magazine and what she has gone through to get the magazine going. I think that may make a difference.

I know money is tight for many people (myself included), but really how many of us buy a *insert favorite drink here* from Starbucks or an ice cream from DQ or McD's or a nice card for someone or the weekly paper or whatever. To me, what she is saying is that if you can find $2.50 a month to put towards the cost of the magazine, is it really that much? I didn't take it as a jab at hs mom's budgeting abilities. I know I can piddle money away on little things (pack of gum, newspaper, bag of m&m's, etc.) and that if I made it a point to put that money (which I would be willing to bet is usually a few $ a month) towards something I want to support, it would be easy to do so.

I really don't think this magazine is any more expensive than any other out there especially if you take into consideration what you are getting (I am not talking about hs magazines only). There are many magazines on the newsstands that cost $7 and are not as meaty.

I guess I just find it funny when people make a big deal out of $7 for a magazine being so expensive, but then turn around and think nothing of paying $25-$30 for a hair cut or $5 for a specialty coffee drink or whatever. I am not saying you do this, this is a general statement and I know people irl who do do this. Heck, I have done this with certain things (like I won't pay $4.00+ for a fancy pair of underwear and think it is silly to do so, but I think nothing of paying $8-$9 for a yard of quality quilting fabric) and I often tell my dh how funny it is to me that I do this.

I guess it comes down to what we feel is important and what we want to support. I have wanted a magazine like this for a long time. I am more than happy to change my spending in one area in order to have the money to pay for a magazine that I want to support.

Anyway, I feel the magazine is worth the money. Everyone has to determine that for themselves though, so take what I say with a grain (or shaker if necessary) of salt. :)

I agree that the tone was a little... abrupt, but I think she was mainly exasperated

:iagree:

Well, she did use the d-word there one time. That is not usual for her. She's reallly been through the wringer on this PAC (or whatever). She is doing a Good Thing and getting the usual reward for good deeds ... y'all know what I mean?

Karen

Deece,

Thank you for articulating your point so well. I completely agree!

Before today I had no idea such a mag exsisted. Thank you to the OP for putting this out there. I read her blog and an article in the 1st issue and sub right away. As a secular hs I completely want to support this kind of endeavor. I understand her tone because she is frustrated by the many roadblocks in her path. I hope with my sub that I can help get a few stones out of the way.