Menu

Not finishing Prednisone

My husband went to the doctor on Thursday with a sinus infection. He gets them pretty often, so he knows when he has one.

The doctor (a new doctor for him) confirmed it and sent him home with an anti-biotic, afrin, and prednisone. I am assuming the Prednisone was to bring down the inflammatory response in his sinus/chest. Not sure.

DH started feeling better by Friday night.

Saturday night he was almost entirely sleepless - up until 4:00 am.

He didn't take the Prednisone Sunday night. He says he's not taking it again, lol. He did sleep well. Snored like a madman, but he slept well even if I didn't.

Today he feels pretty bad again, though. No fever, but lots of complaining. I convinced him to call the nurse at the clinic to at least ask if quitting the Prednisone was a bad idea, and if so, whether he can just start up where he left off. Apparently they had a water main break and a flood, and are closed for business today.

So what says the hive? Should he start the Prednisone where he left off? Could he take it in the mornings rather than evenings? Stay off of it and give the antibiotics time to work? This seems like sort of a long time to be so sick, but I can't always tell with him. When I ask him what part of him feels the worse, he just says he feels exhausted and his chest is raw. His throat hurts.

My Dr only gives me a steroid if I sound like complete hell.

I usually end up *really* sick and on steroids once a year. I wouldn't stop the prednisone but I know all to well what that kind of sick is like.

My Dr will even threaten me, "if you end up here again you are getting a shot in the butt..." So...I would take it for fear I would end up with a shot in the butt.

Was it the five day pack? He could probably start again, but if you're not sure, call your pharmacist. If he needs a new scrip, have your doc call it in on Tuesday. Sorry, I don't work with adults, so I can't be more certain for you. Kids and adults respond to meds so differently. Your pharmacist will know.

What were his original instructions for taking the prednisone? Steroids are often tapered, rather than stopped abruptly, because your adrenal system needs to readjust.

But stopping abruptly isn't likely to be a problem in the same way that abruptly stopping antibiotics would be.

Steroids suppress immune activity, so it's possible that, while they were decreasing inflammation and helping him feel better that way, they also extended the course of the illness.

Has he tried using a neti pot or similar nasal rinse? They are really surprisingly effective at preventing and treating sinus infections. Around here, doctors don't even want to prescribe antibiotics for routine sinusitis unless you've at least tried the neti pot first.

My husband went to the doctor on Thursday with a sinus infection. He gets them pretty often, so he knows when he has one.

The doctor (a new doctor for him) confirmed it and sent him home with an anti-biotic, afrin, and prednisone. I am assuming the Prednisone was to bring down the inflammatory response in his sinus/chest. Not sure.

DH started feeling better by Friday night.

Saturday night he was almost entirely sleepless - up until 4:00 am.

He didn't take the Prednisone Sunday night. He says he's not taking it again, lol. He did sleep well. Snored like a madman, but he slept well even if I didn't.

Today he feels pretty bad again, though. No fever, but lots of complaining. I convinced him to call the nurse at the clinic to at least ask if quitting the Prednisone was a bad idea, and if so, whether he can just start up where he left off. Apparently they had a water main break and a flood, and are closed for business today.

So what says the hive? Should he start the Prednisone where he left off? Could he take it in the mornings rather than evenings? Stay off of it and give the antibiotics time to work? This seems like sort of a long time to be so sick, but I can't always tell with him. When I ask him what part of him feels the worse, he just says he feels exhausted and his chest is raw. His throat hurts.

The same thing happens to my dh all. the. time.:glare: He absolutely cannot sleep while on prednisone. Then he quits taking it. Sometimes the doc has given him Ambien to take so he can sleep, but he still quits the prednisone. I'm not sure what the alternative is since dh never speaks up and asks for a different med. :confused:

It really depends on how the doctor prescribed it: how many, how long.

Since he already stopped....I wouldn't go back on, assuming he has only a couple days of meds left. (Treatment for sinus infections are usually only a few days long, but can be up to 10 days).

Do you know what his instructions were and how many pills he has left? Unless he still has 5 days of therapy left, I wouldn't bother. If the doctor decides to put him back on the med, he will most likely want him to get a complete refill and start again.

Sinus infections can be hard to treat, as they are deep inside a cavity. Did he continue with the antibiotic or did he stop that too?

Appreciate the input. He went back on the Prednisone and is going to try to call the doctor tomorrow. Perry, I taught him how to use a Neti Pot today. He had been advised to do it, but hadn't done it. So he tried it and said maybe it helped. A good meal didn't hurt either.

Poor baby. He's not used to being sick for this long!