Menu

Decluttering/Minimalisim and Zero Waste

Now you've got me going.

Dh actually said this morning "I was woke up this morning thinking that maybe it would be a good idea if I followed the sort of diet you eat a bit more- it woudl be better for me ." What, than ice cream and Coke? Dya think? :lol: Anyway, I mean, its been years, and he's slowly coming around.

He hasn't come around to decluttering yet.

I think he would totally freak if I started living like that woman. I am hard enough to live with as it is.

But...I find it vey attractive and...I am going back to read some more :)

Well, I love the idea of it all, but with the size of my family, I'd rather have 50 plates on hand than buying paper or foam IYKWIM. My house is the central gathering spot of both Dhs and my extended families-and I wouldn't have it any other way. But I DO think about not bringing trash in. We only put out one can a week (and for our large family I think that's great) but I know I can do better. And where would I keep my sewing material and my art supplies? You know?

But keeping to a minimum the trash that comes in...

Edited by justamouse

I really feel every little bit helps and it helps if we all just *think* about the issue of waste rather than behave as if we live on a planet with unlimited resources, IYKWIM. Good on her. One doesn't have to go all the way as far as she has to still make a difference.

I really feel every little bit helps and it helps if we all just *think* about the issue of waste rather than behave as if we live on a planet with unlimited resources, IYKWIM. Good on her. One doesn't have to go all the way as far as she has to still make a difference.

Very true. All of us doing something makes up a whole.

This is exactly what I thought: she is quite inspiring. I really have to rethink how many clothes my family needs. Clearly, it's not as much as we all think.:glare: Also, I would just like to sit in her kitchen and... just sit. :) It's so peaceful...

This all seems great, but the reality part....... I just cant figure out.

For instance, I haven't seen a place to buy flour, rice, or any staple in bulk in my entire life. I have been to a historical grits mill that is 2 hours away from me, where you can buy grits in bulk. The drive time, gas, emissions hardly seem worth it. In fact, I know it isnt worth it.

I have never seen mushrooms in the produce department that arent in a styrofoam container. And have never seen mushrooms at a farmer's market either. Among other produce issues.

I have thought about this kind of stuff before, but cant seem to find where others are buying stuff like this. Anyone??

I am all about the reduction of clothing and toys though. Now would someone please tell this to dh about his garage!!

For instance, I haven't seen a place to buy flour, rice, or any staple in bulk in my entire life. I have been to a historical grits mill that is 2 hours away from me, where you can buy grits in bulk. The drive time, gas, emissions hardly seem worth it. In fact, I know it isnt worth it.

I have never seen mushrooms in the produce department that arent in a styrofoam container. And have never seen mushrooms at a farmer's market either. Among other produce issues.

I have thought about this kind of stuff before, but cant seem to find where others are buying stuff like this. Anyone??

I am all about the reduction of clothing and toys though. Now would someone please tell this to dh about his garage!!

I dont know where you live but ever supermarkets here have loose produce as well as prepacked. So does the farmer's markets. There are places here that sell bulk but I agree its not worth a 2 hour drive. But she says so many little things that can help if you go to her blog- such as buying laundry or dishwasher detergent in cardboard boxes, using home made cleaning products, those sorts of things. I am sure we could all think of one thing at least that we could change for the better in our patterns of buying- and I tend to find I notice things much more when I am on the lookout for them, such as places to buy bulk.

Although I think it might be time consuming to change over- I can barely remember to take my own bags to the supermarket- in the long run, I bet it isn't, once you have made the changes and formed the new habits. And it would save money too, as she says. We have become very lazy as a culture and expect everything to be so easy.

I think we will all end up there eventually.

I dont know where you live but ever supermarkets here have loose produce as well as prepacked. So does the farmer's markets. There are places here that sell bulk but I agree its not worth a 2 hour drive. But she says so many little things that can help if you go to her blog- such as buying laundry or dishwasher detergent in cardboard boxes, using home made cleaning products, those sorts of things. I am sure we could all think of one thing at least that we could change for the better in our patterns of buying- and I tend to find I notice things much more when I am on the lookout for them, such as places to buy bulk.

Although I think it might be time consuming to change over- I can barely remember to take my own bags to the supermarket- in the long run, I bet it isn't, once you have made the changes and formed the new habits. And it would save money too, as she says. We have become very lazy as a culture and expect everything to be so easy.

I think we will all end up there eventually.

I belong to a food coop and we often buy food in bulk. Of course, then it wouldn't fit in one cute little jar. Is what she is doing possible with a larger family? I'd go through 1 jar in less than a week when feeding 6 people.

We strive for minimalism but with 9 people here our minimum is more than others. We also live in a rural area with little choice in what we purchase. We usually have 1 bag of trash and 6 of recycling so even though we are using those items we hope to take them out of the landfill stream. I can attest to the clothes though. Since I reduced everyone's clothing our house has just seemed 'lighter'. I am not in her league though.

Really?

Do you have a food co-op in your community? Mine has a variety of grains as well as things like peanut butter and almond butter that you can grind into your own jar. They even sell locally made soap which you can buy by the slice or the liquid version that you can place in your own containers.

Every grocery store near me (not sure about Walmart because I don't go there) has loose produce. Another idea is to see if there are CSAs (Community Supported Agriculture) in your area. I pay a farmer upfront and then for sixteen weeks receive a box of produce. I have sewn a bunch of muslin sacks into which I transfer my produce from the box and into the fridge.

Ask around. There may be some shops that you have missed in your travels.

Really?

Do you have a food co-op in your community? Mine has a variety of grains as well as things like peanut butter and almond butter that you can grind into your own jar. They even sell locally made soap which you can buy by the slice or the liquid version that you can place in your own containers.

Every grocery store near me (not sure about Walmart because I don't go there) has loose produce. Another idea is to see if there are CSAs (Community Supported Agriculture) in your area. I pay a farmer upfront and then for sixteen weeks receive a box of produce. I have sewn a bunch of muslin sacks into which I transfer my produce from the box and into the fridge.

Ask around. There may be some shops that you have missed in your travels.

That sounds wonderful.

And yes, it is true. When I go to the farmers markets, it is very limited on diversity, the soaps are in packaging, there is no peanut butter, or cheese, just basics like potatoes and onions that I can get at the groc. that aren't packaged there either. There is a lot of canned goods, baked goods, honey, and the like (in packaging).

I have been to pick your own places, when in season. Even then it was only 4 different produce (strawberries, peaches, blueberries, satsumas (type of orange). That is it. That is all the u pick in our 2 hr driving radius.

I do remember to take my bags to the groc. most of the time (dh does not). BTW, I didnt mean to confuse anyone. The groc, has some things you can buy without packaging like apples, oranges, pot., onions. You know basics that you would find every where. But there are certain things I have never seen out of packaging: mushrooms, lettuces, all of the berries, grapes, cauliflower, carrots, celery, flours, cornmeal, sugars, basically all of the stables, never seen seasonings or extracts out of packaging. There are others I am just listing them off the top of my head, to give examples.

I will look at her website more thoroughly to see what she suggests about cleaning agents (although I am down to just vinegar, baking soda, hydrogen peroxide, and bar keepers friend) Maybe she has some suggestions about those packages or how to get them with your own bags and jars?

What about razors? I am bothered by these too. I know they are small, but between dh and I we go through so many of them. I have bought 3 electric ones in my life. 1st one was in 80's it worked great, it got lost in one of my moves. 2nd was a dud, 3rd was a dud (and it had good reviews). I wasn't so sure about them anyway, because of the batteries. Any suggestions on how to shave and be environmentally considerate? Not shaving to coin her terms would make life miserable for me (just between us, ;) I did think about lazer hair removal, but it is just too much $$ for us) :bigear:

Wow, that's truly impressive. I tend to have sort of a minimalist aesthetic, whereas my DH does not. It definitely impacts our home and what we own. I often wonder how much of our childhood influences play a part in our willingness to live in a certain way. DH grew up surrounded by stuff. He used to actually get nervous when he saw me getting rid of things. After 20 years, he's better, but we still have such different ideas of what's necessary.

Seeing her blog is really inspiring.