Menu

Help, looking to enroll

cjbeach

in a program versus doing it myself, as I've always done.

I don't know if I need the sense of accountability, the push, or the sense of security since we may be moving out-of-state, but I think enrolling somewhere is where we need to be.

Any advice? Recommendations?

So far I've looked into K12, but is too pricey and we do not qualify for the FL Virtual School program.

I like VP Scholars program but we're Catholic. Not sure I could work around that.

I've also looked at Kolbe and MODG. I'm leaning toward Kolbe but for my younger two I am not interested in MCP Math. I'm also unsure about Voyages in English. (Thinking aloud-I guess I could make it work by changing out the Math and doing IEW on our own and some Grammar on our own in addition to Voyages???)

I'm interested in strong Grammar and Composition. We're also partial to Math Mammoth.

Ack. I'm all over the place and like so many of you, I have my own curriculum preferences.

I keep telling myself that the key is finding a program we like and doing it WELL versus jumping all over the place.

Thanks in advance!

in a program versus doing it myself, as I've always done.

I don't know if I need the sense of accountability, the push, or the sense of security since we may be moving out-of-state, but I think enrolling somewhere is where we need to be.

Any advice? Recommendations?

So far I've looked into K12, but is too pricey and we do not qualify for the FL Virtual School program.

I like VP Scholars program but we're Catholic. Not sure I could work around that.

I've also looked at Kolbe and MODG. I'm leaning toward Kolbe but for my younger two I am not interested in MCP Math. I'm also unsure about Voyages in English. (Thinking aloud-I guess I could make it work by changing out the Math and doing IEW on our own and some Grammar on our own in addition to Voyages???)

I'm interested in strong Grammar and Composition. We're also partial to Math Mammoth.

Ack. I'm all over the place and like so many of you, I have my own curriculum preferences.

I keep telling myself that the key is finding a program we like and doing it WELL versus jumping all over the place.

Thanks in advance!

I've never heard of Kolbe or MODG. I am considering K12 for my daughter through a virtual school in our state. The only thing I can suggest that you didn't list is Calvert. I was just looking at their site last night (because another virtual school in our state uses it) and it looks good too. I'm sure it's still pricey, but I bet it's not as pricey as K12.

What about a Classical Conversations group? Every community across the nation does the same cycle each year so if/when you move, that won't be an issue. Depending on the ages of your kids, it wouldn't be a full curriculum, though.

What about Catholic Heritage Curricula? You can swap stuff around very easily with them.

What about a Classical Conversations group? Every community across the nation does the same cycle each year so if/when you move, that won't be an issue. Depending on the ages of your kids, it wouldn't be a full curriculum, though.

What about Catholic Heritage Curricula? You can swap stuff around very easily with them.

Funny you mentioned CC. That's my other option. Maybe a better option?

I think more than anything I need a support system.

Thanks so much for everyone's recommendations. I'm all over the place. It's entirely due to my own insecurities as a homeschool teacher. I want "back up" I think.

I've also looked at Kolbe and MODG. I'm leaning toward Kolbe but for my younger two I am not interested in MCP Math. I'm also unsure about Voyages in English.

Kolbe doesn't make you use their materials. They're very accomodating of substitutions. You can still request their course plans with your enrollment, which you might want to look at for the quarterly exams, etc., but you aren't held to using them.

At the start of the year with Kolbe, you'll send in a course of study that lists the books you've chosen to use for each subject. You can use whatever you prefer.

We are in our second year of Classical Conversations and didn't realize how much we would love this program. Worth looking into since, like it was mentioned above, all of the campuses across the country will be doing the same thing so it would be easy to transfer and keep up. We love the support and accountability as well as the friendships for both the kids and myself. It is nice to be surrounded with like minded people, even for one day a week.

I am enrolling in Kolbe with my kindergartener and will use it throughout our homeschooling experience. I am Catholic, but you definitely don't need to be. You don't have to do the religious stuff. I am not doing MCP math either. I am substituting McRuffy Color Math. I am undecided on their science as well. You can subsitute or add whatever you want. You just still need to send in the samples of work. They are very OK with substitutions. They follow the rule that the parents are the best teachers of their children and are there to support you. Good luck in making your decision! I am with you...somehow the accountability thing is important to me. Plus, I have heard that Kolbe is very academically challenging which I definitely like a lot! I would suggest that if you are considering enrolling, you call them or email them. They are extremely helpful and nice to work with!

You might see if there are any parent partnership programs/ALE in your area. We belong to one and find it to be the best of both worlds.

We have accountability (through turning in student learning plans and monthly reviews); we have access to district resources and funding (funding cannot be used to purchase "religious" materials and those cannot be included in the monthly review, but that doesn't mean you can't use them - ds and I have bible study everyday and discuss how God fits into our studies, etc. it just doesn't get included in the review) I have the freedom to choose what curriculum we use and ds can take weekly "workshops" with other hs students and with teachers other than "mom".

We go on field trips with other students/families. Ds loves it and it's good for me too. I can tell you more about our program at least, if you'd like more info.