Menu

Have you seen the HBO movie "Temple Grandin"? Big Thumbs Up!

My wife rented this over the weekend from the Red Box. I was blown away!!!

I had not heard of this film, or the real-life person's story it tells but boy was I engaged, moved, and inspired by this story.

Many of us are frustrated by the crass nature of all together too much of the output of Hollywood (I am), well this film is the other side of that equation.

If you want to see a beautiful, intelligent, uplifting, and inspiring film, put Temple Grandin on your Netflix list.

This one is DO NOT MISS!!!

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

I was lucky enough to have Temple Grandin for several classes when I was in undergrad at Colorado State. She made us go out to the farm and walk the chutes for cattle, load ourselves up in a truck, and crawl in the squeeze chute too. We even had to walk down into the dip tank (no dip, thankfully!) to see how the ramp made it easier for cattle to walk and kept them calm.

Her classes were always fun! Very hands on...and she is EXACTLY like the character in person and she really does wear her "uniform" everywhere. Total cowgirl! :001_smile:

I was lucky enough to have Temple Grandin for several classes when I was in undergrad at Colorado State. She made us go out to the farm and walk the chutes for cattle, load ourselves up in a truck, and crawl in the squeeze chute too. We even had to walk down into the dip tank (no dip, thankfully!) to see how the ramp made it easier for cattle to walk and kept them calm.

Her classes were always fun! Very hands on...and she is EXACTLY like the character in person and she really does wear her "uniform" everywhere. Total cowgirl! :001_smile:

Wow! What an extraordinary experience to have had. Thank you for sharing.

Bill

My wife rented this over the weekend from the Red Box. I was blown away!!!

I had not heard of this film, or the real-life person's story it tells but boy was I engaged, moved, and inspired by this story.

Many of us are frustrated by the crass nature of all together too much of the output of Hollywood (I am), well this film is the other side of that equation.

If you want to see a beautiful, intelligent, uplifting, and inspiring film, put Temple Grandin on your Netflix list.

This one is DO NOT MISS!!!

Bill

:iagree:

Well, popping out from under my rock to say...Temple Wha?

Got it (praise Google). Thanks for the heads up - I'll add it to my queue.

:D

I actually liked that I knew zero, zip, nada about Temple Grandin when the movie started. It was a total surprise to me.

Bill

As the mother of a quirky child with Asperger's syndrome, I loved the movie. And what I thought was most cool was that Temple designed and created a humane tool for animal husbandry as a result of her ability to really focus on one thing...gives me hope for my daughter. I wonder what she will invent?

I am so envious Colorado Mom!!!!!

Can you tell us more? I'd love to hear more about her classes!

My son 6.5 said the sweetest things about Temple Grandin at dinner tonight.

He was adamant that she needed her hug machine to make her feel better and that people were wrong to make fun of her for being "artistic" :lol:

A slight confusion there, but his heart (and the film's) is in the right place. I really like films that make us and our children more understanding people. This film succeed mightily.

Bill

If you liked the movie, you should read her book "Thinking in Pictures". It has a lot more detail and is a fascinating read! :)

:iagree:

Her more recent book, "The Way I See It," was also interesting.

In one of her books, she talked about how hard middle school was for her. She had a line about middle school girls that went something like, "In middle school girls turned into aliens who talked about strange things that didn't interest me." (Not the actual quote.) I was laughing so hard that my husband asked me what was so funny. When I read her quote to him, he replied that he was pretty sure that middle school girls were aliens and that they were not understandable. :lol::lol:

My children also enjoyed the movie. My daughter still asks questions about autism. She also said, "But anyone could crawl around a cow chute and try to think like a cow, you don't have to have autism to do that." I replied, "Yes, they could have done it, but no one else seemed to think of it, she thought of it. Her brain thinks a bit differently than most people's and she used that to develop something helpful."