Menu

Food science prerequisites?

DD is interested in food science and nutrition. We see that Glencoe has textbooks on both. Does anyone know what the prerequisites would be or how I can find out? The books are

Food Science: The Biochemistry of Food and Nutrition

and

Food, Nutrition & Wellness

Bumping you.....I'm interested also.

I've been collecting info and resources on designing a course maybe titled "Science of Cooking" or "Kitchen Chemistry".....I think different from what you are looking for, though. Ours may lead to more study of culinary arts.

Hope you get a reply from someone who is on your track and can share what you need.

LBS

That does sound different than what I am looking at but interesting too. DD's interest develops from a combination of loving to cook, doing a regular "foods" class, and now finding food allergies, etc. that could drastically change cooking at our house. It has made her consider food science and/or nutrition as career ideas.

Our cc has a nutrition class with no prereqs but I'm wondering more about the Food Science. Since it says "biochemistry" it makes me wonder if she will have to wait until after chemistry class to take it. :confused:

What I think is basic to food science, college-level nutrition, and many other courses, is a basic understanding of chemistry. I don't necessarily think high school chemistry formulas are necessary, but an understanding of the elements, periodic table, how they combine into compounds, etc., would go far in making such courses more understandable and more interesting.

I'm basing this only on personal experience and observation of various programs we've used over the years :)

Julie

What I think is basic to food science, college-level nutrition, and many other courses, is a basic understanding of chemistry. I don't necessarily think high school chemistry formulas are necessary, but an understanding of the elements, periodic table, how they combine into compounds, etc., would go far in making such courses more understandable and more interesting.

I'm basing this only on personal experience and observation of various programs we've used over the years :)

Julie

Thanks! Which programs have you used? I'm interested in learning about more than just Glencoe. I lean towards them because I have used some of their other books, but I'm always interested in what else is out there.

This year, my son's done some of the Julicher's program mentioned here. There are some other good things on the thread:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201285

We did various things for nutrition but I'd have to scan my memory banks for specifics :tongue_smilie: I clearly remember my college nutrition course sounding like Charlie Brown's teacher, woh woh woh, because I didn't have any understanding of (or INTEREST in) basic chemistry.

Julie

MIT Opencourseware has a free course called "Kitchen Chemistry" and "Advanced Kitchen Chemistry".

You can get all the materials at:

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/special-programs/sp-287-kitchen-chemistry-spring-2009/

and advanced class is at:

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/chemistry/5-s16-advanced-kitchen-chemistry-spring-2002/

We're doing the first course right now. It has been very informative! The text reading and class questions are a must. It is a really good book. Some of the recipes are super yummy too! The pancakes are especially fab!