Menu

Writing with Ease or Writing Tales?

I am trying to decide if we should finish up WWE 2 and move on to WWE 3, or if I should order Writing Tales. I am really interested in the Writing Tales program, but I do not know which one would lay a better writing foundation. Should I stick with WWE, or try Writing Tales (and WT 3 *might* be out in two years when my ds needs it)?

We've used WWE 1 and 2 and are doing WWE 3 this year. I like WWE and I think it's been great on its own up until this point. Next year, I think I will continue with WWE 4, but also add in Writing Tales or The Paragraph Book series. I'm starting to feel as though my daughter isn't getting enough practice writing. Others have recommended continuing with WWE alone and then just adding in additional narrations/dictation from our history and science readings, which sounds great, but I want something more structured.

Lisa

I like them both. You could do WT during the school year and WWE during the summer. No matter what, you should be writing across the curriculum, as WTM describes. No writing curriculum replaces subject writing (history narrations, book summaries, etc.).

WT has extensive samples on their website. If you print and try them, they'll give you a good feel for whether you want to pursue the program or not.

My older dd did WT (WWE was not out then). My younger dd has been doing WWE 1 and will finish 2 this year. I tried a few weeks of WWE 3 with my older dd when some samples were up as the new book was coming out. I am giving my younger dd a choice as to which program she uses next year--I'm okay with either. She is familiar with WWE and can easily settle into its pattern. I personally am not crazy about the amount of dictation, or rather the length of the passages to dictate. I think it would be hard for me, and yet I think I was a decent writer back in my prime. I'm not convinced that it is a necessary skill, though I'm sure that those who go through it will become good writers. I just think that there are other ways to become a good writer. Dd is also thinking she doesn't want so much dictation, though she has been doing fine with it in level 2.

WT has a larger volume of writing. There is a rough draft or final draft every week, and they will be many paragraphs long. It is more writing than WWE. This dd is fine with a larger quantity of writing (she likes to write her own books), and her vivid imagination will be a good fit for the creative details option in WT. WT also has more variety in the daily activities. It will reinforce the grammar lessons we will be doing elsewhere (R&S 3). Knowing the pros and cons of each program, my dd wants to do WT next year as the best fit for her.

They need to be able to write a narration independently for WT. In WWE3, you are still doing an intermediate step (dictating to mom and then dictating it back). The goals are different. WT is a retelling, with later revisions. WWE3 goal is usually a 3-4 sentence summary. WT does a sentence of copywork every week. WWE3 does dictation.

That said, WT says the child can even have mom write down the whole fable for the child. And you could also do the intermediate step as WWE says.

I am using some of both. Knowing what WT1 is, though, I probably would not purchase it again, considering what other things we already do. The grammar, copywork, and vocabulary words in WT1 aren't of much use to us because we have a grammar program and use dication and copywork from other things. Also, the grammar in WT1 is very basic. I use other vocabulary words when we want to work on looking up words. When it comes down to it we use it for rewriting short fables, fairy tales, and stories from Baldwin's Fifty famous stories. The teacher's manual does have some games and fun ideas in it, but for us it is basically narration practice.

Edited by Penelope