Menu

So confused on how to start EIW!

HeidiKC

I have read so many of the EIW threads on this subject and am still confused. I really appreciate people taking the time to respond to all of them!

I am thinking about EIW, but am just not convinced I'm going to love it and am also on a tight budget right now, so wonder if I can get by without the TWSS. I am guessing most people responding probably love EIW, but I have seen enough people that didn't feel that way that I don't feel comfortable spending the money on the TWSS.

So I guess my question is, can I get by without it and get either just the syllabus or just the SWI? Or should I get both of those? I was also thinking of getting a Theme-Based book. Would we need to go through SWI before we did that or do them simultaneously? Or is it possible to just get the theme-based book without the SWI?

Or if you have any other questions about how to do this without buying TWSS, I'd love to hear it. I think at this point that if it is really necessary to get the TWSS, I'm going to have to skip it right now.

I'm considering signing him up for CC Essentials, where they'd do EIW history-based writing lessons, which would solve this problem for me! But I'm not sure that is going to work out for us, mainly due to the cost.

Thanks so much!

So I guess my question is, can I get by without it and get either just the syllabus or just the SWI? Or should I get both of those? You won't be able to get by purchasing just the notebook. You'll need to get the TWSS. You could get the SWI and watch it with your kids. You won't understand the program unless you either take the time to watch TWSS or SWI.

I was also thinking of getting a Theme-Based book. Would we need to go through SWI before we did that or do them simultaneously? You don't have to do SWI or TWSS at the same time. You do need to understand the program before you attempt a theme based book so I'd recommend doing one or the other.. Some people try the theme books without getting the basics of the program down and are ususally frustrated.

Or is it possible to just get the theme-based book without the SWI? I don't recommend it.

Or if you have any other questions about how to do this without buying TWSS, I'd love to hear it. Find someone who owns it and offer to bake them cookies for an afternoon if they'll loan it to you. The first time I watched it my friend and I did it together while the kids played. I think at this point that if it is really necessary to get the TWSS, I'm going to have to skip it right now. If you really want to "get" the program, you need to invest the time and money in TWSS. I did 12 years ago. Paid $129. I've taught my 5 kids IEW, tens of kids in co-ops and loaned my TWSS out 1/2 a dozen times. When I ran a CC group I hosted IEW parties and showed TWSS to 15 moms at a time. I've also grown as a writer myself through teaching this program. It's been a worthy investment. It's one of those things you buy once and you have the curriclum for your kids 3rd grade through college, and beyond.

I'm considering signing him up for CC Essentials, where they'd do EIW history-based writing lessons, which would solve this problem for me! Not really. You still need to know the program or your kids will be able to shlock through the program. But your Program Director or Essentials tutor should have a TWSS set you can borrow or schedule a time to show it to Essentials families.

FWIW: It's IEW ;)

Thanks, Lisa! And yes, I get it that it would be money well-spent...if we loved it and used it for years. I'm just a bit worried since I have read that lots of people don't like it.

As far as doing the CC Essentials - they have a practicum course for the parents at the beginning of the year where the parents are taught about EIW. I believe it is either all day or maybe even multiple days? So I'm guessing it might be the TWSS DVDs. Not sure on that.

Well, I suppose I could look at it as a gamble. If we don't like it, we're out $200 or whatever it is. Which totally stinks. If we love it and I use it for all three of my kids for the next 10-12 years, it is a pretty darn good investment.

Unfortunately I don't know anyone who owns the tapes, otherwise that would be a wonderful option.

But am I understanding that I can buy just the SWI instead of TWSS? I like that option, because then both my son and I can use it.

Thanks again!

I also would recommend the TWSS first. If you try to implement other parts of the program without it, you are not truly giving the program a fair shake. I know that some have had success without it, but the TWSS will help you to understand how it all works and why students are taught the various elements.

FWIW, I found the TWSS used on VHS tapes for $50, and I consider it one of the best investments I've made in homeschooling. I used them to become a registered instructor, and I'm now teaching 4 classes. Two class meetings paid for the tapes!

Well, I suppose I could look at it as a gamble. If we don't like it, we're out $200 or whatever it is. Which totally stinks. If we love it and I use it for all three of my kids for the next 10-12 years, it is a pretty darn good investment.

QUOTE]

IEW has a money back guarantee. I was a rep for IEW for quite a while and they honor that agreement. Also, the re-sale value on the IEW yahoo group is great. If you don't like it you won't have any problem re-selling it here or there.

The main about I hear about IEW is that it produced "formulaic" writers.

IEW does teach a formulaic system. But it's like anything- the learning curve at the beginning is steep and externalized. Once the kids "get" the stylistic techniques and master them, they become internalized and their writing reflects that maturity. There are other really good programs out there but most of the great programs eventually teach the exact same stuff- just through different methods. So it boils down to finding a method that you are comfortable with.