Menu

Who is using or has used McRuffy Color Math for K??

golfcartmama

We used it in K and are still using at 2nd grade for ds. This is a great program for this age group. It's colorful, uses manipulatives to teach, games to reinforce, and it is spiral in its approach, so there is plenty of review. And the lessons are short. It is open and teach with very little preparation work for us teachers.:001_smile: My ds has learned a ton and is very confident in his math skills. The con would be no fact drills, which we have supplemented with flash cards. DS is requesting to continue for 3rd grade. Throughout the years, this is by far his favorite subject. Definitely worth serious consideration.

Hope this helps.

I haven't used it yet, but I did receive it in the mail a couple of weeks ago. I absolutely love it! I am going to use it for K. The manipulatives are great. There is no way for a child to get bored since you use different things every day. I am very excited about starting to use it. I am planning on sticking with it until at least 3rd. I really want math to be fun and use manipulatives in K-3 since I am mixing Classical and CM.

We used it in K and are still using at 2nd grade for ds. This is a great program for this age group. It's colorful, uses manipulatives to teach, games to reinforce, and it is spiral in its approach, so there is plenty of review. And the lessons are short. It is open and teach with very little preparation work for us teachers.:001_smile: My ds has learned a ton and is very confident in his math skills. The con would be no fact drills, which we have supplemented with flash cards. DS is requesting to continue for 3rd grade. Throughout the years, this is by far his favorite subject. Definitely worth serious consideration.

Hope this helps.

:iagree:

We started using McRuffy in December. My son loves it and I intend to keep using it. He enjoys the manipulatives, there is something different each day so it doesn't get boring and it's easy, peasy to teach!

Younger DD just finished K, and is a couple of weeks into gr. 1. Older DD is almost done with gr 1. Gr 2 is waiting on a shelf for her. :)

What I like about McRuffy math is that it's a fun, colorful, hands-on, "math without tears" program. The lessons are short but meaty. There is a ton of built-in review, including timed tests for add/sub. facts starting in gr. 1.

It's also very easy to teach. We *love* it.

The result is that the girls are getting a rock solid math foundation. I'm very pleased with the results. My plan is to continue through the 3rd grade (or 4th if it's ready when we need it... *hope*).

The only real "con" for us is that the spiral/constant review drives me a little batty. But, my kids aren't complaining, and that's what really matters.

I am about 80 lessons into it with my five year old son, and I pretty much am happy with it. It is definitely short and to the point, and my son does not get overwhelmed by the amount of work required each day. I am liking the spiral approach, and it requires the perfect amount of work for my easily frustrated son. Very open and go, which I appreciate since we have a new baby in the house.

The games, which I thought would be boring, have been a huge hit with my boys (even my 3 yo). I also love how he works all kinds of skills into each page. Sometimes it directs you to write the answer next to the purple rhombus, or the orange rectangle. So many times you get 2 lessons in one. For some kids, though, I can see how that could be overwhelming.

I *occasionally* wonder if it is not moving fast enough. But I think that is just my crazy need to push, push, push! :)

I am using it for my daughter in kindergarten. We love it for her! I'm a CLE fan but since they don't have K (and wasn't sure she was ready for 1st yet), I went with McRuffy. We have been very happy with it. She often asks to do multiple lessons in a day.

I will say that we are using the 3rd grade for my DS. He likes it (the colors and the games) but I just don't feel it's enough for him. Maybe it wasn't the right level for him. He finds all of it to be easy except for the multiplication (he was in PS for 2nd grade and didn't learn multiplication, but McRuffy apparently taught it in 2nd). I tried using it in conjuction with MM, but he hated MM. I ordered CLE 300 for him and he loves it so far. I will have him finish the McRuffy along with the CLE (the McRuffy only takes about 15 minutes for him to do and I hate to think about wasting all that money; plus the games are fun for him).