Menu

Update on dh's conferences/dress for success story.

Thanks to all of the good advice, we did splurge on two new suits and MelanieM sent us one her husband wasn't using anymore. IT WAS THE MOST AMAZING SUIT! Seriously, beyond our means and absolutely lovely. It fit dh as if it had been made for him.

So he wore a black suit and power tie on Tuesday last week, MelanieM dh's suit on Wednesday with a blue striped tie, the new navy suit on Thursday with a yellow and blue tie, and on Friday, casual day, he wore his Ralph Lauren black dress pants, white shirt, and a burgundy tie. Everyone else wore chinos/khakis and polo shirts or casual button ups. One of the guys sitting next to him in the conference said, "M...it's casual day. Didn't you get the memo?" Dh replied, "Sure...notice I'm not wearing a suit coat!" Several of the team members grinned at him, but the team lead and the V.P., smiled and nodded to him so I think they were impressed.

At the end of the seminars, this was a certification class actually, a written exam was given. Of the 35 people in attendence including all of the team, the team lead, and another person also being courted for the position in the group, dh had the second highest score and it was a huge score. But, here is the impressive thing, the instructor announce that this was NOT an open book exam, however, there was a lot of noise in the room at the time because everyone was getting up for a little break before the exam began. Apparentely, Dh was the only one who heard this. so, when everyone came back for the test, he was the only one who took the exam without the book. The exams were graded in class and when the scores were announced, the instructor made the point of commending dh to the group for listening and following instructions and for getting the second highest score without consulting the text. He then said that he was not going to withhold certification from any of the other participants because he realized he should have announced it again when the room was quieter. Dh only had two questions wrong, one less than the team lead, who had cracked his book!

The team lead is VERY interested and one of dh's two bosses is very amenable. The group would not need him until June which gives dh time to train a replacement and do some consulting on a high visibility project that his other boss had already hinted at. It looks really positive but we won't know until April....OH THE SUSPENSE!

Dh's two bosses will need to agree. Boss one, the amenable one, is dh's "people care" manager. He is the one that is supposed to look out for the needs of the employee. He has been wanting to get dh out of this project he's on because he doesn't see it going any further and he doesn't want dh in a dead end position. This guy is okay. He's always taken good care of dh. But, he's uhmmmmm WEIRD and no matter how positive he tries to sound, everything always ends with a negative with him. So, though he's trying to do a good job for dh, in the end, he's a real downer to deal with. Dh would not miss him if he moved into a new management chain.

The other boss is the wild card and in this area we need some prayer. This boss is the one that oversees a huge set of contracts, technically, for the company. He was the one that hired Dh into the company and he is close with dh. This is the same boss whose 32 year old son died unexpectedly over Christmas. We attended the funeral and though I have never met this man, after he was done hugging and leaning on dh (and this was a lot of needing dh), he then clung to me for a while. His words were, "Faith, your old man is good man. The best man...don't ever lose sight of that. Go home and love your kids too!" and then leaned on me for a while longer. At the funeral, everybody came up to dh, "What do we do? How do we help B?" etc. So there is a friendship and a dependence there right now as he goes through this horrible grieving. Dh knows he needs to make the move to the new group, but he also wants to be very, very careful with B's feelings. It may not be well received and B could dig his heels in and refuse to let Dh go. So, over the next two months, if you are of the praying type and think of it, please remember the situation to God.

Dh has another high level meeting tomorrow. We've got to dig the car out of ten inches of snow! UGH. I was prepared for Old Man Winter to retire himself to a comfortable nursing home run by "heat miser" and leave Michigan alone!

Faith

Faith, what a great post, thank you for the wonderful update! I am praying for you/your dh right now.

Friday, casual day, he wore his Ralph Lauren black dress pants, white shirt, and a burgundy tie. Everyone else wore chinos/khakis and polo shirts or casual button ups. One of the guys sitting next to him in the conference said, "M...it's casual day. Didn't you get the memo?" Dh replied, "Sure...notice I'm not wearing a suit coat!"

Brilliant! I love it!

Hey, I was just wondering about this! Thanks for the update. Sounds like your dh had a stellar experience!

Any more info on your possible big spouses-included shindig?

Sorry about the snow... I am also soooooo over with winter. Hope that groundhog was right this year.