Menu

BJU Academy...did anyone use this?

Down_the_Rabbit_Hole

I am thinking of using BJU's Bridgeway Academy and am wondering if anyone has used one of the BJU Academy system for their HSer? Did you get a HS diploma and was it recognized by the college your child applied for? I am trying to avoid any future problems my ds might have when applying to the military or college. My first ds did not need anything but a transcript when joining the Navy, that and his ASVAB score got him in with no problems. My second son tried to get into the military but by then they changed the rules of entry...if you have a GED you need 15 hrs of college. I want to avoid any problems with my 3rd ds. I am looking at BJU Academy (they call it Bridgeway now). Is it worth the money to get the Diploma or has anyone been turned down with one of these?

Just wondering: if your 2nd son needed 15 hours of college credit, was that because he had a GED? Are homeschooled students not allowed into the military without a GED? I know that here in Florida a student with a GED is at a DISadvantage over a homeschooled student; in the hierarchy of things, a student in the public school system with a diploma is the same as one with a diploma from a private school which is the same as one with completion certification from a homeschooler. A student with a GED is considered "less than" the above three. A homeschooled student can apply to a 4 year university; a GED student has to go through a community college first to prove him/herself. When I first began homeschooling my daughter I was told to NEVER allow her to get a GED; the homeschool "diploma" was far better. Even more so, I was told to have her take at least once college class so then she could always classify herself as having "some" college education.

If the latter, might I suggest you just skip the BJU Bridgeway program. Instead, have your son take college classes as a Dual Enrollment student. This way he would be killing 2 birds with 1 stone; acquiring the high school credits AND acquiring college credits simultaneously. He can take the GED test on the side.

Most states offer DE credits through their local community colleges for free; all you have to pay for is textbooks. Another option is for your son to enroll online in a community college as an "enrichment student" and do the work that way. My daughter has been an online student at Clovis Community College in New Mexico; it serves an AFB and the instructors are very good and highly experienced in doing online instruction, as the majority of their students are distance education, some serving overseas. In addition, 6 credit hours (2 classes) is only $125- for the entire 6 hours--much cheaper than my comm colleges here in Florida! http://www.clovis.edu/

Edited by distancia

Just wondering: if your 2nd son needed 15 hours of college credit, was that because he had a GED? Are homeschooled students not allowed into the military without a GED? I know that here in Florida a student with a GED is at a DISadvantage over a homeschooled student; in the hierarchy of things, a student in the public school system with a diploma is the same as one with a diploma from a private school which is the same as one with completion certification from a homeschooler. A student with a GED is considered "less than" the above three. A homeschooled student can apply to a 4 year university; a GED student has to go through a community college first to prove him/herself. When I first began homeschooling my daughter I was told to NEVER allow her to get a GED; the homeschool "diploma" was far better. Even more so, I was told to have her take at least once college class so then she could always classify herself as having "some" college education.

If the latter, might I suggest you just skip the BJU Bridgeway program. Instead, have your son take college classes as a Dual Enrollment student. This way he would be killing 2 birds with 1 stone; acquiring the high school credits AND acquiring college credits simultaneously. He can take the GED test on the side.

Most states offer DE credits through their local community colleges for free; all you have to pay for is textbooks. Another option is for your son to enroll online in a community college as an "enrichment student" and do the work that way. My daughter has been an online student at Clovis Community College in New Mexico; it serves an AFB and the instructors are very good and highly experienced in doing online instruction, as the majority of their students are distance education, some serving overseas. In addition, 6 credit hours (2 classes) is only $125- for the entire 6 hours--much cheaper than my comm colleges here in Florida! http://www.clovis.edu/

When my first son joined the Navy, since he was homeschooled, a slightly higher score then the minimum was needed. But last January the military changed it's minimums for acceptance. If you have a GED you need the minimum score and 15 hours college. I am not sure what their policy now is with homeschoolers or even regular diploma graduates. I also was told many years ago that a GED was not good, but this son got his GED from a military branch (the National Guard) so we figured it would be accepted by the military....silly us. I am looking into college duel enrollment but I honestly don't think ds is quite ready for that just yet. Another reason I am looking at the BJU option.

Thanks for the advice.