Menu

help me out ....history or geography for 1st grade/preschool...

specialkmom

I will have a young, but mature, 1st grader (6 this fall) and a 4 yr old for preschool. I would like to keep them together as much as I can, as I have 2 younger kids who also need my time. My oldest reads pretty well (3/4 through PP) and enjoys writing.

So... I was debating whether to take this next year and do some geography via Galloping the Globe or something similar, or start in with SOTW and the AG, or try out TOG. I've read about as much as I can about TOG and SOTW. It sounds like it might be better for me to hold off on TOG until my kids are a bit older. Though I really, really like it. :tongue_smilie:

So, with a 4 and 6 year old- would it be better to do a geography study for a year or just jump into history?

I would like to keep my kids together as much as possible and if SOTW is going to be way over my 4yr old's head, I am wondering if geography would be more interesting to him, and we can start that 4 year cycle with my kids the year after. My younger son loves to be read books and loves to do things with his hands- the only time he sits still is for a book or to color.

I have a 6 year old and 4 year old. I am tailoring the history to the 6 year old and not worrying about the 4 year old (who is not ready for history or geography). When the 4 year old starts K or first, he'll just jump into the time period my older son is in. I plan to do history together in my house. We're starting with SOTW, but will likely switch to TOG later (when I don't have read aloud issues with a toddler).

Just throwing out another option. :)

My daughter turned six this fall. I opted to do geography with her, partly because I thought her brother would enjoy the activities that go with SOTW more next year.

I've been letting her pick countries/continents she wants to learn about, with guidance from me to make sure we moved around on the globe. We've read folk tales, used "Children Just Like Me" and "A School Like Mine" to learn about kids today around the world, used maps/globes/atlases, watched videos, read about animals in different parts of the world, etc.

It's been a great year, and I'm sure it will serve her well when we start history next year.

Oh, and we've also had time to do some basic US history, which seems like a good thing.

Thanks for the helps. Would it be too much to do both at the same time? Or maybe work on geography with both and SOTW with my oldest and let the younger decide if he wants to sit in?

Ancient History is so much fun, it was my favorite in school. I could see my boys enjoying either option though.

I'm in the SAME BOAT. I'm wanting to start SOTW next year with my (will be) 6yo First grader. BUT I have a 3 turning 4 in Oct. DD that I want to keep on the same rotation, she will be WAY too young for SOTW. I think I am going to do geography first. Maybe even for 2 years, I want to focus a large chunk on America, state capitals etc. Hitting some light history with my First grader (just in read alouds, etc). I enjoy geography more than history so I will admit it's partly selfish...but I also don't want to go over it twice...I don't thin a 1st or 2nd grader will miss out if they don't do formal history plus I think Geography can be beneficial in learning about history later because they will have some concept of where stuff is. Just my opinion.

You could do prehistory (if that's your thing). We did a very quick intro to geography and prehistory for kindergarten. For first grade we're doing SOTW Ancients, but also continuing geography more in-depth. Right now we're on a US States kick, so we're going to start learning American History also this year.

We are focusing more on geography and past versus present for first grade to make sailing into history for 2nd+ a little easier.

We are going to use Evan Moor's Beginning Geography K-2 and Expedition Earth by Confessions of a Homeschooler along with Highlight's Top Secret Adventures and a lot, lot, lot of read alouds and finding things on the map and making dishes from around the world. What I like about Expedition Earth is that it is a fun way to introduce 31 countries around the world but it is fun, a lot of coloring and good books and songs and so on so it is hands on for little ones.