Menu

Parents arrested for failing to register home schooled children

A friend of mine moved to a new state and didn't file with the school district. She homeschooled peacefully for 3 years and then her husband decided to leave her. He wanted the kids and used her failure to file as a way to get them. She wasn't even allowed to see them for almost a year because her husband had presented her has an abusive mother and the county saw the failure to file as an indication of the fact. She was a devoted mother, but now has a very strained relationship with her children because of the distance that was created.

A friend of mine moved to a new state and didn't file with the school district. She homeschooled peacefully for 3 years and then her husband decided to leave her. He wanted the kids and used her failure to file as a way to get them. She wasn't even allowed to see them for almost a year because her husband had presented her has an abusive mother and the county saw the failure to file as an indication of the fact. She was a devoted mother, but now has a very strained relationship with her children because of the distance that was created.

7 or more years ago, I would not have believed this story or that it could happen.

Arrested seems a bit much.

There was a time when I would have considered civil disobedience against some homeschool requirements.

Today, I would do what it takes to homeschool without the risk of breaking the law.

I don't think they are rotting in jail. They were given appearance tickets to report to court. I bet they will be fined. It did say that their curriculum was accepted once it was handed in.

I can tell you that there are many flying under the radar up there.

Because of where we moved, it would have been EASY for us to not turn in any paperwork and remain undetected. And it did cross my mind.;) Dh didn't want to have to bail me out of jail, though.

It was odd that the state required more of my children than it did of the students in ps. :glare:

Arrested seems a bit much.

There was a time when I would have considered civil disobedience against some homeschool requirements.

Today, I would do what it takes to homeschool without the risk of breaking the law.

:iagree: I definitely think being arrested is too much! I have filed for both my children every year. Starting a couple of years ago, we started submitting our registration online. This year, I got a call from a truancy officer because my son had not been registered!

Even though I have registered both my kids as required every year for the last 7 years, have voluntarily submitted to testing through the school system for the last 4 years, and the school had my daughter's registration for this year, they were adamant that I had not registered my son. I was shocked at how nasty they were about it, so I am very thankful I had the autoreply still on my computer proving that I had registered him.

I know this couple didn't register any of their children for many years, but the way I was treated because of a glitch in their system truly left me shaking. I was afraid I wasn't going to be able to homeschool or have to go to court and pay a huge fine. I never even thought about being arrested!

Lisa

Sounds reasonable to me. You need to obey the law where you live.

"arrested on child endangerment charges"

Reasonable to arrest them on THAT? :001_huh:

They didn't file some paperwork. That's hardly putting their kids in danger!

Personally, I don't think there should be any sort of required filing, reporting, testing, or whatever when it comes to homeschooling - but apparently the big powers disagree with me. :tongue_smilie:

I have so many mixed feelings about the registration process. On one hand, I feel I should be free to educate my children in any manner I see fit, without interference from the state. On the other hand, I hear stories from two friends who are case workers with DCFS and they have seen many families where the children are "homeschooled", which means sitting around doing nothing all day or watching TV all day, with no parent even at home. In these cases I can see why someone would want some accountability for the education of the general public if parents are keeping their kids at home. I don't want to have to support someone via my tax dollars who would otherwise be able to work, just because they were not given any education.

I'll just give the other side of the argument: my MIL allowed her oldest to rarely attend school and eventually drop out all together after the 8th grade.

Her son is in his 50's now -- and finally learning to read. He was dyslexic back before much attention was given to the issue. He's had a very hard time holding jobs and hasn't had a good life.

My point is that the school district/gov't doesn't know if you have a negligent mother -- my MIL -- or honest-to-goodness homeschoolers.

In today's world, my MIL would have filed paper work at the very last minute, under duress, just to save her own hide. She had no real "point" to make, she was just lazy and unmotivated. She just didn't care.

So, if you take the political out of it (hard to do, I realize) and just think that someone at the school district might honestly worry that the kids are being neglected, then this article is easier to swallow.

But please don't flame me: I wish I lived in a state that had no silly requirements too. The things I have to file seem flimsy, but I do it.

And, yes, I realize too that the debate is huge: do we work with the law and eventually have all of our hs rights slowly taken away? Or do we resist the law and demand our rights?

Okay, going for my first cup of coffee. Much needed. (We need a "coffee" smiley face.) I'm just saying.

Alley

ITA with Joanne: it's too much.

Wonder why the author of the article felt the need to say that the parents didn't "register" their "curriculum"? There's like 47 things NYers have to do, including providing a "list of the syllabi, curriculum materials, textbooks, or a plan of instruction." The media almost never get it right when they talk about what the homeschool law is in any given state.:glare:

I'm surprised that in seven years they were never sent a notice from the town. I've been a couple of months late with my LOI in my day--shocking, I know--and I get a little slap in my mailbox, "We have not yet recieved your Letter of Intent for this school year. Our office requires (snort) your letter be on file by Sept 1."

The kids were truant. I've known ps parents to get the same treatment when their children missed too much school without valid excuses.

If this was 'civil disobediance' then they should have been prepared to face the consequences. However, they seemed to turn everything in pretty quick once they were charged, so it would suprise me if they had been 'taking a stand.'

This happened over a year ago.

What should the ps admin have done? .

A phone call stating that documentation is required and that the ps wanted the family to know that fact, perhaps even a threat to call the police.

Calling the police is rolling the dice, some stupid politician decides to make an issue of it and we have a serious situation that impacts all hsers.

This may have been solved without getting the police involved, without wasting the court's time, without the cost of (probably thousands) of taxpayer dollars.

A phone call stating that documentation is required and that the ps wanted the family to know that fact, perhaps even a threat to call the police.

Calling the police is rolling the dice, some stupid politician decides to make an issue of it and we have a serious situation that impacts all hsers.

This may have been solved without getting the police involved, without wasting the court's time, without the cost of (probably thousands) of taxpayer dollars.

Yes, they could have filed with the school district to begin with.

Arresting the parents is way over the top. Those kids were never endangered. The negligent parents who have no intention to homeschool, and are abusing their kids will never comply with homeschool laws anyway. Testing and reporting do not improve the quality of home education. I am so glad that I live in a state which doesn't require any contact. I can apply my full effort to teaching, and not waste my time on reporting.

If you never notify the school, how would they know? I moved here 4 years ago. If I never told the school I had children, they wouldn't know. It was tempting, but I don't want to jeopardize my right to homeschool.

Then I wonder how they found out at all.

My Dr, fi, always asks me how the kids are doing 'in school'. Well, she knows we hs, but she always asks how it's going, and if I have any concerns (I do think this is her biz. We would need a referal from her if we wanted any neuro/LD stuff done, fi). I like that my Dr gets us, and if one of my babies had a bruise on her butt or something, I know I could call her for help if CPS knocked on my door. ;) Consequently, if she saw signs of abuse, she might wonder if we've complied with the hsing law in our town.

I think it's good to have people in the community who can vouch for you.

I don't think it makes sense to not register if your area requires it. Work to get the law changed if that matters to you, or move.

Hsers who abuse their kids have been in the news, so maybe one would want to cover their arse.

Edited by LibraryLover

They broke the law, they fixed it, it's old news. No real drama, honestly. We were encouraged by someone from a well known homeschooling group (take a guess!) to fly under the radar upon our move to PA (something about a potential class action later, the more people that fly under type deal). I laughed it off and told them that I did not need any trouble and would simply obey the law.

The negligent parents who have no intention to homeschool, and are abusing their kids will never comply with homeschool laws anyway.

She wasn't even allowed to see them for almost a year because her husband had presented her has an abusive mother and the county saw the failure to file as an indication of the fact.

This is exactly why I register. Everyone knows that abusive, negligent parents are not going to obey the law. So what message does it send if I don't obey the law? Why risk it? It just seems that anyone who makes the choice to disobey the law is helping the state build a case against them. I want to make it as difficult as possible for the state to ever prosecute me, so I follow the law to the letter.

Obviously, others will disagree! :) I'm just explaining my reasons for doing what I do.

This is exactly why I register. Everyone knows that abusive, negligent parents are not going to obey the law. So what message does it send if I don't obey the law? Why risk it? It just seems that anyone who makes the choice to disobey the law is helping the state build a case against them. I want to make it as difficult as possible for the state to ever prosecute me, so I follow the law to the letter.

Obviously, others will disagree! :) I'm just explaining my reasons for doing what I do.

:iagree: It won't solve the issue of a vindictive spouse, but it won't hurt.

"arrested on child endangerment charges"

Reasonable to arrest them on THAT? :001_huh:

They didn't file some paperwork. That's hardly putting their kids in danger!

Well, sure, we know that now that all the information about the case is out. But what did the police know going in? That there were kids who weren't registered in any school and weren't registered as homeschoolers either.

They didn't know, as we do, that the parents were educating the children. And there would be no way for them to find out other than by filing charges, because, quite properly, the parents would probably have turned them away if they'd just showed up at the door nosing around out of sheer curiosity.