Menu

If 3rd grader Late Ren, what does 1st grader do?

aggie96

I am just completely dense. Seriously. I think I am trying to make this tooooooo hard!

DD#1 will start the Ancients next year (1st). By the time she is on Late Renaissance (3rd), DD#2 will be starting. I suppose to keep things simple, DD#2 would start with Lan Ren also since that is what DD#1 will be doing. But doesn't that go against the "start telling the story of history at the beginning" if DD#2 doesn't start with the Ancients? If she starts with Late Ren, then she'll see Ancients in 3rd, 7th, and 11th grades. Right? Does it matter that Ancients and Medieval will come AFTER Late Ren and Modern?

Why, oh, why do I make this SO hard? Agh!!!!! :tongue_smilie:

I swear I tried to search on this topic, but I could not hit on the right search words. Grrrrrrr...

I guess I was thinking that I will do what Celia posted.

I wanted to know if this was what WTM suggested. I just finished WTM for the second time and never fully understood how to integrate the second child on the first child's history schedule given the "start history story at beginning" philosophy.

I'm going to bed for the night and will check back in the morn. I'm tired!

I listened to SWB's talk on Science in the Classical curriculum recently, and I think I remember that in the Q and A period at the end, she mentioned that keeping the kids together for Science and History was the way to go (keeping the science linked to the history).

I know it's nicer to start history at the beginning, and do a nice, clean 4 year cycle. But practically, the planning would be too much, and I think that it'll be easy enough for the children to figure it out where what they learned fit in when they start the cycle at the beginning again.

If you search for SotW with multiple ages, you might have better luck. This comes up often as many of us freak out about it. :D

The majority go ahead and start the 1st grader right in with the 3rd grader, wherever you already are. That's going to be my plan. I know there's a lot of amazing materials out there for early elementary American history, so we'll probably slow that year of history down and have fun together. I want to go a bit slower so that my then-2nd grader isn't too overwhelmed by modern history. But she (so far) doesn't seem to be that sensitive a child, so we might be fine.

Another option that occasionally comes up is to return to ancients with both. It throws your 3rd grader off the neat 4-year cycle (but then, so does starting on year 3); however, you can go a little deeper with the 3rd and do all the fun ancient and medieval stuff with your second. I think most decide against this simply because it feels too soon to do all that again, and also because at that point, your oldest will reach 5th grade without ever really having American history.

HTH! Good luck deciding, but try not to stress to much.

I guess I was thinking that I will do what Celia posted.

I wanted to know if this was what WTM suggested. I just finished WTM for the second time and never fully understood how to integrate the second child on the first child's history schedule given the "start history story at beginning" philosophy.

I'm going to bed for the night and will check back in the morn. I'm tired!

Yes, WTM recommends folding the younger child into the history and science of the older child, but keeping the required work at each childs level. (WTM 3rd ed. pg 110) You would expect the older child to do more reading, outlines, etc. as the logic stage history level requires, and the younger to work at the grammar level. I plan on doing this with my oldest dd--she'll be joining ds in late Ren. history next year, and also in chemistry. I will likely skip modern history with both kids--too many complicated and scary topics for them. We'll do late Ren. over 2 years with an emphasis on US history and then jump back into the ancients in 3rd/5th.

Also wanted to add that you might like to use your reading time to cover some of the earlier history that dc2 will not cover--read versions of Beowulf, the Illiad and Odyssey, Arthurian legend etc and whatever. That way they still get some of the "pegs" and the fun Thud and Blunder of the early years, but you aren't running two history streams.

Unless you're planning to ban your younger child from the room, she will have exposure to ancients & medieval history alongside your DD#1.

This.

Right now my daughter is in 1st Grade and my son is in PreK. He listens in to everything we do for History and participates as he has interest. Frankly, he remembers almost as much as my daughter does! There would be no reason to start all over for him in two years with Ancients, after all, he IS starting at the beginning of history, just not at the same personal age.