Menu

Can't seem to find the answer to this PR question

plain jane

I've been doing searches on old threads here, watching sample videos on the website and reading reviews about the program.

For the life of me, I can't really figure what the ideal age is to start this program. It seems that most people here started it with "older" kids- around age 7? That seems to be what came up in all my searches.

Is it meant for grade 1 and up or Kindy and up? Can it be used in Kindy by a child who is not really reading? Should a child be reading (atleast a bit) prior to starting? The first teacher video says it can be used for Kindy but it's a passing statement and I didn't really find the rest of the video to be overly informative as to how the program works. I would have liked to be able to watch a sample lesson vs. her talking about the benefits of the program.

Is there a lot of written work at the beginning? I'll be starting with a boy and honestly, I'd prefer going the route of something like OPGTTR to get him reading because there's no pencils involved. Am I better off doing some OPGTTR first or to start with PR from the get-go? I know eventually he'll have to pick up a pencil but that's a battle I'd like to put off for as long as possible. ;)

I've used WRTR for going on 6 years now and I've done OPGTTR to get my kids reading before I reinforce phonics skills and introduce spelling with WRTR in grade 1. I also don't like pushing writing at too young an age and my kids thus far have not enjoyed forming letters in K. This seems to work well for my kids but I'm not sure if this goes against what PR is really about. And of course, it probably brings up the question as to whether my kids would do better with penmanship if I forced them to start earlier? :o

So- there you have it- pencil phobic, not really reading well boy- what age to start him in PR?

Edited by plain jane

I am using it with dd4 and ds6 at a SLOW pace. I am also using it at an accelerated pace with dd9 and ds11.

If I were you, I would just start working the phonics in the first 4 weeks. Work as slow as he needs to. There is only as much writing as you would like him to do during that time.

I started dd6 a couple of months before she turned six. She's been working at the scheduled pace since week 8 or so.

I started dd4 last week at her insistence. We do a lesson every other day using only the marker and clipboard (not pencil and paper). I'm not sure she will be ready to go past week 4, but we will see.

Anyway, PR 1 is good for a mature 5 or average 6yo. So K/1st is a great time to start.

I started dd6 a couple of months before she turned six. She's been working at the scheduled pace since week 8 or so.

I started dd4 last week at her insistence. We do a lesson every other day using only the marker and clipboard (not pencil and paper). I'm not sure she will be ready to go past week 4, but we will see.

Anyway, PR 1 is good for a mature 5 or average 6yo. So K/1st is a great time to start.

:iagree:

I've been doing searches on old threads here, watching sample videos on the website and reading reviews about the program.

For the life of me, I can't really figure what the ideal age is to start this program. It seems that most people here started it with "older" kids- around age 7? That seems to be what came up in all my searches. It is intended for 1st grade, or age 6-7. Many people have a problem waiting for 1st grade to teach reading, so you can start in K, but only if you are prepared to go slower than planned when necessary.

Is it meant for grade 1 and up or Kindy and up? Can it be used in Kindy by a child who is not really reading? The program teaches how to read, by teaching spelling, first. If you can spell it, you can read it using the phonemes and the Rule Tunes (spelling rules put to song). Should a child be reading (atleast a bit) prior to starting? I am teaching my 5yo how to read with this program now, so No, they don't need to know how to read. It is similar to Writing Road to Reading or the Spaulding method. The first teacher video says it can be used for Kindy but it's a passing statement and I didn't really find the rest of the video to be overly informative as to how the program works. I would have liked to be able to watch a sample lesson vs. her talking about the benefits of the program. Basically, you teach sounds, then put sounds together to create words. My blog has some examples under "Letter of the Week". It will show you how I'm using the method at a very slow pace to teach reading, spelling and writing.

Is there a lot of written work at the beginning? I'll be starting with a boy and honestly, I'd prefer going the route of something like OPGTTR to get him reading because there's no pencils involved. Am I better off doing some OPGTTR first or to start with PR from the get-go? I know eventually he'll have to pick up a pencil but that's a battle I'd like to put off for as long as possible. ;) I don't think you'd be better off. You can easily use this program w/o a pencil. Check out my blog. We use lots of other methods (rice, shaving cream, white board, etc.)

I've used WRTR for going on 6 years now and I've done OPGTTR to get my kids reading before I reinforce phonics skills and introduce spelling with WRTR in grade 1. I also don't like pushing writing at too young an age and my kids thus far have not enjoyed forming letters in K. This seems to work well for my kids but I'm not sure if this goes against what PR is really about. And of course, it probably brings up the question as to whether my kids would do better with penmanship if I forced them to start earlier? :o

So- there you have it- pencil phobic, not really reading well boy- what age to start him in PR?

Welcome to my world :) That was my son before we started PR. He was 7 when we started, not reading well, hated writing and is ultra-wiggly. After learning the sounds, you only write 5 words a day to get started. That's not bad, huh? The hands on application of writing I mentioned above can make a difference. This is similar to WRTR, but laid out for you in a more "prepared for teacher" way. We have had nothing less than success with our efforts in PR and I find my son is reading far better than my other children did after finishing PR2, certainly spelling better and even generating better sentences and paragraphs. It truly has been a win-win for us.