Menu

N.Carolina Homeschoolers

My husband and I are looking at jobs in N.Carolina and I was curious about what the state requires for homeschooling?

Thanks.

Easy!

Requirements

Parents/guardians residing in North Carolina and desiring, in lieu of conventional school attendance, to home school their children who are at least age 7 but not yet age 16 must:

* Hold at least a high school diploma or its equivalent;

* Send to DNPE a Notice of Intent to Operate a Home School. The notice must include the name and address of the school along with the name of the school's owner and chief administrator;

* Elect to operate under either Part 1 or Part 2 of Article 39 of the North Carolina General Statutes as a religious or as a non-religious school;

* Operate the school "on a regular schedule, excluding reasonable holidays and vacations, during at least nine calendar months of the year'';

* Maintain at the school disease immunization and annual attendance records for each student;

* Have a nationally standardized achievement test administered annually to each student. The test must involve the subject areas of English grammar, reading, spelling, and mathematics. Records of the test results must be retained at the home school for at least one year and made available to DNPE when requested. Also, see testing FAQS;

* Notify DNPE when the school is no longer in operation.

They also have several recommendations, but those are the requirements. See http://www.ncdnpe.org/hhh103.aspx for a full list.

ETA: where are you looking?

Easy!

They also have several recommendations, but those are the requirements. See http://www.ncdnpe.org/hhh103.aspx for a full list.

ETA: where are you looking?

oops... NOW I see the testing info :lol:

We are looking around Charlotte. My husband is looking for a construction superintendent position. They are few but we are praying that we will find one. I have family around there. We are looking specifically around Gaston County. good area for hsing?

Gastonia, the city is much more accessible now to parts of Charlotte since the 485 loop opened up. IF you don't mind driving there are many h'school opportunities on just about every side of Charlotte and multiple ones at that (co-ops either formal or informal), events, support groups, etc, etc.

I also pm'd you. HTH.

I'm in the CLT area too... Union County. From what I see on the local homeschool e-groups, there are always many things posted for Gaston County. As Sheryl said, with 485 opening, you can very easily access Charlotte and surrounding areas.

As for attendance, the state sends you a sheet you can use to mark the days you school. It's an official-looking form, and you just check off the days as you go. Some families use their plan book for attendance, others just use a regular calendar. It's not required that you use the state's sheet. I use it just because it fits easily in the front of my planning binder & that way I don't forget to mark our days.

It's pretty easy to homeschool here... no portfolios, school district meetings, etc. Just register your homeschool (you do this online), test yearly, keep attendance, and have the vac. report on hand. I'm grateful it's so simple!

Good luck with dh's job search! PM if you need any other info.

Thank you.

Question on this:

"Maintain at the school disease immunization and annual attendance records for each student;"

Do you have to keep a paper record of attendence?

Also, do you notify each year? I didn't see anything on testing or assessments; am I missing that?

I keep paper attendance, but it could be on the computer as well.

You only notify the first year. After that you get a card in the mail to return.

Thank you.

Question on this:

"Maintain at the school disease immunization and annual attendance records for each student;"

Do you have to keep a paper record of attendence?

Also, do you notify each year? I didn't see anything on testing or assessments; am I missing that?

No, you do NOT have to notify each year. The law requires you to notify DNPE once, the year you begin. You may also use any means of notification you want, instead of the form DNPE has on its site. I haven't checked it recently, but it used to ask for information not required by law. Of course, you could use that and just write NA where it asks for things not required.

Keep attendance any way you want. The law doesn't require you to provide attendance records to anyone, ever, even though DNPE likes to send out post cards each year asking if you're going to hs again, and oh BTW why don't you just send us those test scores.

You're supposed to test annually, any time from January to December; if contacted, you will provide the most recent test results. And the law doesn't require you to volunteer ahead of time to do so.

As in any state, I recommend being a member of HSLDA.

We live in the Charlotte area (Union County). I have to say, there are SO many hsers in this area, you have to say no to a lot of things because you just can't fit it all in!

If you have boys, we have an all homeschool cub and boyscout troop that we LOVE!

We filled out our intent and that was it! I do have files in case anyone were to show up, but I haven't ever heard anything in my 6 years here from the state.

I do hate that we have to test! I moved here from CA and we didn't have to test there. I have NO attendance records on file, so I would have to quickly get those together if someone were to audit me.....I think it is ridiculous!

Dawn