Menu

Anyone using Khan Academy as core math curriculum?

MelissaMom

I'm planning what to do for my 8th grade ds next year. Math is not his strong suit. I'm really hoping to do many classes online. I absolutely LOVE the lessons on Khan Academy and believe they'd be quite thorough, but wondered if anyone has tied these into any specific textbook at the pre-algebra level.

I was also looking at The Potters School or Derek Owens or even Landry, but sure would be nice to get the free ones on Khan if I could tie these into a math text.

Would love to hear how anyone has incorporated these into your homeschool.

:bigear:

Khan Academy is AMAZING. I'm not incorporating it into my homeschool, but I kinda got addicted to the point system and badges you can earn. So the past week I've been watching videos and doing exercises each day! I was a math major my first year in college, and I can't wait to get refreshers in calculus and physics and thousands more!

I have to admit the earning points thing is amazing. As a gamer addict, hehe, I have become addicted to his website. As a programmer, I'd love for his site to make a widget where we can share our status with others on our blog.

On another point, it shows me what a great math understanding my daughter is receiving with RightStart. Watching only his videos, she'd miss that, so we'll only use Khan as a supplement now and then. My daughter only watched the multiplication one and she enjoyed watching it. We haven't covered multiplication yet, but she "got" it right away.

Angela, I'll have to look at thAt more closely and see how it would motivate my son. I have an English degree and am SO not into math, but I really like watching these and truly can understand it.

Surely some creative mama out there has used this as a main part of math instruction for middle or high school! Anyone?:bigear:

if you really look at the setup of this, it would be quite feasible to do your entire math education via Kahn academy. It is extremely thorough, though I don't know how easy it is to do higher level math without a human instructor to interact with.

I am using it to self-educate and hopefully to reinforce my son's math.

Yeah, after watching hours and hours of videos, I don't think we could use it from Grade 1 through college as a sole math program. Not my daughter anyway. If it was me that was being homeschooled, I would be all over it and would try to be teaching myself all the way through with Khan.

I mean, they have only one hour of instruction for Addition. Add another hour of the practice examples, and that's only two hours for what most programs take an entire year. Maybe the middle and upper grade levels would be more appropriate (which is what you were asking for anyway, hehe).

If you want an inexpensive math program, maybe use Math Mammoth and supplement with the Khan Academy videos?

Now that I've started working through it, I am thinking there isn't quite enough for my little one to get all that she needs from Khan, but I will most certainly have both my kids supplementing with it.

I am totally addicted to this, and find myself using it to "unwind" in the evenings! Isn't that weird? Or did I have a math brain all along and just really stinky teachers? I love it! I have even done the long division problems without complaint, and I used to cry over those. I want to rework through algebra and geometry and teach myself all the way through calculus. I started all the way back at the very first set of exercises and have been earning those little badges all the way...it's a whole other world when you are learning for fun (or out of fear that my kids will catch up and find me like a deer in the headlights wondering what to do next!)

You guys got me excited to try this out for myself. I have such a fear of math. Maybe I can literally have a do-over of my public schooling math experience.

I'm nervous about how I will approach math with my daughters. Actually- maybe I will make a post asking for some advice on this subject. Love to hear your thoughts.

Yes, I think from 3rd grade up would be the youngest to use it with. I have my 3 oldest working on it and it's great! Such an amazing program and the fact that it's free is just the BEST.

@hedgehogs4....I don't have time to do it for fun YET, but I thought the same thing, would I have figured math out with the right teacher?

Kelly, I've been still using Khan Academy for myself every night too! I think it's been setting a great example for my daughter to see her mom so focused on math. She's even trying to listen in on the lessons and trying her hardest to understand, it's super cute!

I agree, for lower elementary at least, we could not use it as a sole math program. I will still use it as a supplement though! And maybe it will become more useful as she gets into the harder math topics.

I myself "graduated" from arithmetic and Pre-Algebra, and am now working through Algebra, hooray! I now have 142,587 energy points. I blogged about Khan Academy last week. It's totally gotten me very excited about math once again, as well as more confident in my skills to teach it. I encourage everyone who wants a math refresher or improve their math skills to check it out. I've

• 1 year later...
Guest chas1973

I've been looking at Khan Academy for my 13 year old for pre-algebra/algebra and ran across these posts here.

I wondered if you had seen www.beestar.org ?? I have been using it as a supplement for my oldest son for several years (actually he has outgrown the free programs and now I've moved on to using it with my 8 yr old dd). It's a free "course" of two lessons per week. I believe these problems have helped my son with logic skills and word problems on his standardized testing. Just thought you might want to check it out!

Also have you ever tried Five in a Row? It incorporates reading, math, science, language, social studies, art, etc all into one. The math would need to be supplemented (or at least I do) but some people use this as their CORE

We just started using it and my daughter loves it.