Menu

Predicting Outcomes?

bbmom

Rather than ask him, model it. Say "I wonder if Frances is going to go to bed now. Her father is getting angry with her, so I predict she will go to sleep now." (then read a page)...."Oh, my prediction was wrong...she is still not going to go to sleep" or "Look! My prediction was right."

Just do this casually for a while, then invite dc to help you make your prediction. Then pretty soon he should be able to do it on his own (It's the I do, we do, you do idea. If you just ask him to predict, you are not really showing him how to do it.) HTH.

Rather than ask him, model it. Say "I wonder if Frances is going to go to bed now. Her father is getting angry with her, so I predict she will go to sleep now." (then read a page)...."Oh, my prediction was wrong...she is still not going to go to sleep" or "Look! My prediction was right."

Just do this casually for a while, then invite dc to help you make your prediction. Then pretty soon he should be able to do it on his own (It's the I do, we do, you do idea. If you just ask him to predict, you are not really showing him how to do it.) HTH.

I agree. You have to first show them how to do it, then do it with them, then ask them to do it alone. I think the best way would be to cover it as a natural part of your reading time, rather than looking for outside resources.