Menu

Do you do Calendar everyday?

3littlemonkeys

http://www.rainbowresource.com/pictures/027745/1298226962-1822248

That's the one we have. It appears to be no longer available. We haven't been really consistent with it lately because both my school age boys know the calendar pretty well already. This fall when my K'er joins, I'm going to make it his job to complete the calendar each day. As you can see it includes the days of the week, the weather, seasons and holidays. Nothing very fancy!

I did for my dd when she was in prek through k. I bought a blank calendar and had it laminated (Blue for Winter, pink for spring, green for summer, and orange for fall) and weather bulletin board indicator . Each morning she would place a number (I bought the seasonal numbers from Trend company, I think this is the company). She then told me what day of the week it was and the actual date, and we would then quiz about other things: What would tomorrow be, what was the date of last Sunday, what season is this month and so on. We then looked at the weather and turned the hands on the weather picture to the exact picture (sunny cloudy, partly cloudy...).

Just a side note on calendars

I also bought the calendar from SL. It was a calendar that had a country picture the child colors for each month. We used this as our jumping off point to study a country and the people. We discussed any holidays they might celebrate that month and compare them to any we had that month. It also aided in our geography study. Great product.

We do calendar on any day we do school - very similar to Down the Rabbit Hole's routine. DS will sometimes update the calendar as soon as he wakes up!

post-17070-13535084527894_thumb.jpg I think this attaches my photo :001_smile:

I bought this dry erase, magnetic calendar at Target and made the tiger paws myself ('laminated' with packing tape). It is handy for writing down upcoming events!

post-17070-13535084527894_thumb.jpg

We do calendar a few days a week.

Here is our calendar/weather area (although this will be changing, because we are moving soon):

IMG_2259.jpg

I used to use a calendar similar to this one, and it was perfect for what we needed:

http://www.amazon.com/Learning-Resources-LER0504-Magnetic-Calendar/dp/B00000IVNF/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1298229698&sr=8-10

But I wanted something with more detail and I wanted to do weather and seasons separately this year, so we got the Melissa and Doug calendar. I keep it on the wall and take it down to use with the kids, otherwise they would make a mess of the magnets. I also keep the magnets off that we are not using and I use the bottom half of the calendar for our weather set.

We sing a song for the months of the year and the days of the week, talk about what day today is, yesterday and tomorrow. We talk about any upcoming plans and put the appropriate magnets on the calendar. I made a seasons wheel with the months of the year to show how they coordinate to the seasons, and we turn that while we are singing our months song. I wanted them to have a visual of how the months and seasons repeat in a cycle. This is a close-up of our seasons wheel:

SeasonsMonthscopy.jpg

We use this set for weather, I got it at Lakeshore Learning in the store but I can't find it on their site:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0017O23Z8/ref=nosim/chrisficti-20

This set is perfect for us--just the right size to stick on the fridge or on the bottom part of our calendar. I laminated everything and put magnetic strips on the back.

Edited to add - this weather set also comes with pictures of different types of clouds. My DD loves to pick out what type of clouds are in the sky and at 5yo knows the difference between cumulus, stratus, cirrus, and cumulonimbus clouds. It also has pictures for blizzard, hurricane, tornado, etc. It's a very cool and complete set with great pictures.

Edited by kristin0713

I plan on involving both kids (5 & 3). If you do calendar daily, can you tell me some of the things your incorporate?

Weather, Place value, patterns, etc

And if you want to show me Pics of your calendar I'd love to see them. I'm wanting to make my own and I would love some ideas!!

We do a Morning board such as this.

http://homeschoolcreations.blogspot.com/2010/03/homeschool-calendar-morning-board.html

Anyone do this with slightly older kids? I have a couple of 7 year olds that would enjoy this (and I think I'm going to go ahead and do this with them), but I'm just wondering if anyone did anything differently for the older kids. Humidity, types of clouds, etc. Just trying to brainstorm...

We used Saxon K-3, in grades prek-2, and had a daily calendar time incorporated into the Meeting portion.

I had a posterboard calendar like many shown here, and used sticky notes to have dd write the numerical date. I used a strip of wipeable/eraseable sentence paper for the daily date.

We did the months of the year, days of the week, counted to the day (when quite young), and then did some skip counting and other "fun" things, like questions about "what date will it be next week Tuesday" and things like that. We did patterns as part of the Saxon curriculum, but I put them on sentence strips and bound them with a notebook ring.

We said our memory verses and poems then, too. We also graphed the weather for a while, using little symbols out of posterboard and velcro (clouds had cotton on them, etc.).

I continued the poster calendar until dd was about 9.

We don't use the calendar during school time, but I have taught the months of the year and days of the week with songs (very handy when you're driving and still want to get some "school" done). We talk about seasons as part of everyday life.

For the songs, I found these online here. The months of the year is set to the tune of Battle Hymn of the Republic:

January, February, March, April, May,

June, July and August, and September's on its way.

October and November and December's at the end,

Then we start all over again. (sing this as many times in a row as you want)

Today's Date song is set to the tune of Frere Jacques (Are You Sleeping). Depending on the month and day, you sometimes have to make it fit the tune. Parent sings the first line, and child repeats.

Today is Sunday

Today is Sunday

February 20

February 20

Two thousand eleven

Two thousand eleven

That's the date.

That's the date.

Days of the Week song is also set to the tune of Frere Jacques (Are You Sleeping):

Every week has seven days,

See how many you can say:

Sunday, Monday, Tuesday,

Wednesday, Thursday, Friday,

Saturday. What's today?

We have this calendar:

http://www.rainbowresource.com/product/Calendar+%26amp%3B+Weather+Pocket+Chart/036061/1298226962-1822248

It is huge - much bigger than I thought it would be! My younger ds has a chore to update the calendar every day, and we try to do the weather but not as consistent on that. I didn't do much else with it and he now pretty much gets the whole thing, he loves it and having it as his responsibility.

We are working on earth/space science and planning to create some weather tracking tools and start to do that every day for a month.

We love, love, love this http://www.clp.org/product/calendar_book_2209.

It has some very neat things to track, like precipitation, wind direction, phases of the moon. It is so much more than just writing the date. I use this and read "The Year on Maple Hill Farm" and try to look up poems that relate to the season, or the month, or the holiday. My K'er and 1st have enjoyed it.

Before that we used some of the activities from Hubbard's Cupboard--where I found this link http://www.jmeacham.com/calendar/calendar.binder.htm

It was fun. We didn't do the birthday or tooth chart because they were more for classroom use. We really had fun with it for K and PreK.

Edited by Laurel T.

I wanted this calendar so much last year, but never got it. It looks like so much fun.

We have this calendar:

http://www.rainbowresource.com/product/Calendar+%26amp%3B+Weather+Pocket+Chart/036061/1298226962-1822248

It is huge - much bigger than I thought it would be! My younger ds has a chore to update the calendar every day, and we try to do the weather but not as consistent on that. I didn't do much else with it and he now pretty much gets the whole thing, he loves it and having it as his responsibility.

We are working on earth/space science and planning to create some weather tracking tools and start to do that every day for a month.

We have this one, too and really like it. It is sturdy and easy to use.

You might look in the tags for "Breakfast Board" here as there are threads with calendar ideas listed.

Edited by ladydusk
Added link.

I just make one in Excel for each month, using pale gray for the lines and numbers. The kiddos trace those to make their own calendars. I buy stickers that are month/seasonal appropriate, and I start the pattern for them each month. Then each day they add a sticker to cover the day's number and continute the pattern (ABAB, AABB, ABC, etc. - we have a new pattern each month).

We sing the months of the years, and the days of the week (Happy Days theme). We sing the date using Frere Jacques (Today is Sunday, (repeat) February 20 (repeat) 2011, (repeat), that is the date (repeat).).

On the back of each kid's calendar I have a graph that they fill out for the weather.

I have severe memory loss issues. I have to work really hard to stay grounded in which season, month, day, hour and sometimes even year it is. I've been trying and discarding all sorts of holiday, seasonal and calendar ideas for the past couple years.

Thank you everyone for all the links!

My new favorite find is the monthy idea books on sale for $1.00 at Scholastic right now. Today I colored in the pencil decorations for Abe and George, cut off the tabs and taped them to my computer to remind me tomorrow is a holiday. January has a full unit on calendars as well as the usual monthly resources.

I'm currently trying to pick a monthly scent and a monthly color to use consistently. My best friend just bought me a little portable cart and stools for my tiny galley kitchen, so I can have something to put a monthly table cloth and candles on.

Calendar isn't just something hanging on the wall. It should be integrated into the entire day and home. That just happens for some families who live on a farm or base their days on a seasonal based religion, but for many of us, the cycles just are not as integrated in our lives, until we make them so.

I've been looking into liturgies and church holidays, seasonal cookbooks. Linnea's almanac has a bird of the month. I stick things to the wall by my computer with poster putty. I'm going to start sticking a picture of the bird up. Over one of the book cases I'm going to make an astonomy display of information about the current zodiac sign and moon info and nay other special events.

I'd like to hang up what fruits and veggies are in season in the kitchen, and some magazine recipes even if I don't cook them.

I don't want to spend much money on organizing right now, so I'm just going to use a folded piece of paper for a "folder" and a paper bag for a "file cabinet" and start a "folder" for each month and start collecting things to hang up and do.

Some worksheets I'm using for ideas to do something more waldorf inspired. I want to do some abstract wet on wet watercolors, and the coloring sheets are good to look at for composition and proportion. So if there is a line drawing of a bird on a branch, my painting will just be a blue blob on a brown line.

I'm working on a lot of ideas lately. This thread was very timely :-)

We are much more simple and use a calender that we printed out from http://www.calendarlabs.com/pdf-calendar.php

However I was looking at other printable calender sites and saw this one that looked like we might give it a try in the future.

http://www.printablecalendar.ca/

I had to laugh when others talk about charting the weather. We live where it is always sandy and sunny, if we literally get 5 min of rain we run to the windows or heck run outside and celebrate, because we just got our years worth or rain fall. So if we charted weather it would be pretty boring except maybe twice a year when we get a sand storm.

Anyone do this with slightly older kids? I have a couple of 7 year olds that would enjoy this (and I think I'm going to go ahead and do this with them), but I'm just wondering if anyone did anything differently for the older kids. Humidity, types of clouds, etc. Just trying to brainstorm...

I do something similar with my 1st grader who is 7. We have a calendar notebook (can't remember where I saw the idea). We use a lot of the printables from Homeschool Creations. The first page is a monthly cal. that he fills in the dates, then there is a tally marks sheet that he counts the days of school using tally marks, then a 100 chart that he fills in with the days of school, hundreds, tens, one chart that he makes using stickers and laminated numbers, make the date with money, and a weather graph. He enjoys it. We haven't used it every day but it has really helped him get an idea about time, days of the week and months.