Menu

FIAR for older children

Sue G in PA

I used FIAR once before and LOVED it. For some reason, I sold it and went with HOD and LOVE that, too! There is simply too many GREAT programs out there! I want to try them all, lol. So, I am back to FIAR for my 5yo and 8yo (adding in my challenging 9yo and just "beefing" it up a bit). We will start tomorrow and I am excited...mostly b/c my dd5 is chomping at the bit to do The Story of Ping. Has anyone used FIAR with an older student? How did you do it? Ds9 is using Preparing Hearts this year, but not the full program (b/c of the issues he has had). I thought about just doing FIAR until the end of the year and using only certain parts of Preparing. Next year, I thought about using FIAR for dd5 (then 6) and ds8. Obviously, we will add in Math and Phonics. Why am I worried? I keep thinking we should be doing chronological history! I thought I was set on MFW Adventures! I've been so excited about it! So why the change? Money. :glare: We HAVE the money but I have this nagging feeling that I could be using it elsewhere. We have sooooo many great books and curriculum, etc. Ugh. So, back to my question...has anyone used FIAR with older students and to what success?

:bigear: I am curious as well Sue. I was at the thrift shop yesterday and found all 4 FIAR manuals for $2 each. I picked them up thinking that I probably wouldn't use them, but perhaps someone in our HS community might. After looking at them I am thinking of using them with my K'r and perhaps my then 8 year old. Although I already had a plan for him.

I used FIAR last year with my then 8 year old and six year old. That worked pretty well, although I was definitely ready to move on this year. In retrospect, it was a bit light for my older child. But it was very enjoyable and I'm not sorry we used it. (We also used it the year before, when they were 5 and 7.)

I was going to go on to Volume 4 this year, but then decided 1) It was "too light" or "not enough" or whatever you want to call it, and 2) I was getting very tired of "bopping around." One week we were discussing owls, the next week we were talking about the Civil Rights movement, then simple machines, then Germany ... I liked that for a while, but I got tired of it. I also think that as the kids get older, they need something more linear, although I know a lot of people would disagree.

I would highly recommend you use the FIAR resources at HomeSchoolShare.com, as well as the Archives at the FIAR forums. That definitely helped beef it up, and make it more interesting.

I was just telling someone the other day that, as much as we enjoyed FIAR, I probably would not like it very much if we just had the FIAR manual and nothing else. The activities and books we used from the above-mentioned sites are really what made it worthwhile.

Also, if I were doing FIAR with a 9 or 10 year old, I would do Volume 4 (which I've never done, but own) and would add in more writing assignments. Actually, I would just add Writing with Ease as well.

I used FIAR with my two years ago when my dd was 8. I didn't go straight through the books, though. I had all four volumes and I did a "pick and choose" type year. I had two close friends who had used these with their dc and so I had some inside knowledge on some of their favorite books. I think dd (2nd grade at the time) was finishing ETC and began AAS that year and we were doing Saxon math and HWT as well as FIAR. I used http://www.homeschoolshare.com for free lapbook ideas and printouts. It was a great year!!

If you decide to sell...I would love Vol. 4! LOL. :D

I guess I don't have Vol 4. It says Chistian Charachter and Bible Study supplements. I think it goes with the others. I know I am going to use them with my K'r, just not sure about using it with the 8 y/o.

I'd just add in some history for your 9yo. If you own CHOW, he might be able to read or you could buddy read a chapter a couple of times a week. If you own any audiobooks of SOTW, just listen in the car (it's amazing what they'll pick up with no effort on your part). If you don't have anything on hand, you can get the Famous Men books free online in text at the Baldwin Project and free audio of Famous Men of Greece and An Island Story (and lots more) at Librivox.

We used FIAR when my kids were smaller. I love it, but it was more prep & work on my part - that's the only real reason we moved on. Having said that though, I think FIAR is perfect for older elementary students, plus you could throw in resources from homeschoolshare.com & voila! LOTS of fun! I say go for it!

Susan

Hi,

I love Fiar and have all of the volumes including Beyond.(I went crazy and purchased them all on ebay) I think it is a wonderful curriculum that really works. At one point I also decided to switch it up and do SOTW instead because I was concerned about history and felt that chronological history was best. Well....that didn't last long. It just was not the same for me. My dd was OK with it but it just didn't flow like I wanted. I ended up going back to fiar and purchasing the mp3 versions of SOTW for us to listen to in our spare time. This gave me peace of mind that we were "covering" history while having our favorite curriculum. I do like some spice though. We will be doing a year of Galloping the Globe and since most Fiar titles are listed I will blend the two together to shake things up a bit before doing Beyond. I have never found anything that flows as well as Fiar so for us we will stick with what works.

HTH,

Penny

All this talk about FIAR made me want to post my FIAR blog posts and photos.

Like I said upthread, almost all these activities were from HomeSchool.com or the FIAR archives on their forums - not from the actual FIAR manual itself.

It was great fun, but I'm glad we're doing something different right now.

One criticism I personally have about FIAR is that the Language Arts are really lacking. Yes, discussing what makes a good title, or acting out scenes from the book, are great things to do ... but to call that the Language Arts lesson for the week doesn't cut it, IMO, especially when you start getting to about third grade.

Like I said upthread, almost all these activities were from HomeSchool.com or the FIAR archives on their forums - not from the actual FIAR manual itself.

One criticism I personally have about FIAR is that the Language Arts are really lacking. Yes, discussing what makes a good title, or acting out scenes from the book, are great things to do ... but to call that the Language Arts lesson for the week doesn't cut it, IMO, especially when you start getting to about third grade.

FIAR doesn't claim to be a grammar program. They actually tell you that you need to use a phonics program. And if you child is done with phonics then they don't claim to cover the next step. Because of FIAR my k-er has learned what personification, alliteration, repetition, and more are. Not a lot of k-ers will know what these things are.

Edited by Susie in MS

Hi,

I love Fiar and have all of the volumes including Beyond.(I went crazy and purchased them all on ebay) I think it is a wonderful curriculum that really works. At one point I also decided to switch it up and do SOTW instead because I was concerned about history and felt that chronological history was best. Well....that didn't last long. It just was not the same for me. My dd was OK with it but it just didn't flow like I wanted. I ended up going back to fiar and purchasing the mp3 versions of SOTW for us to listen to in our spare time. This gave me peace of mind that we were "covering" history while having our favorite curriculum. I do like some spice though. We will be doing a year of Galloping the Globe and since most Fiar titles are listed I will blend the two together to shake things up a bit before doing Beyond. I have never found anything that flows as well as Fiar so for us we will stick with what works.

HTH,

Penny

This is good for me to hear, because I am planning on starting dd's first grade year out with FIAR. I have just bought volume 1 so far. When I read through it I get pretty excited. I see that it will take additional planning, like checking the book and books on related topics out at the library in advance, planning and even researching activities, buying particular foods like baguettes for the week of Madeline, but that all looks fun for me. I'm planning to keep track of all the settings on a world map and a timeline. I think my 3yo will be able to join us for a lot of it too!

Hi,

I love Fiar and have all of the volumes including Beyond.

Penny

I have all of the vols except vol 3 of Beyond. We are on our second rowing of vols 1-3 and it is even better this time around. When my dd turns 7 I will put her in vol 4. I like that Beyond has a lot of research and writing opportunities.

I was getting very tired of "bopping around." One week we were discussing owls, the next week we were talking about the Civil Rights movement, then simple machines, then Germany ... I liked that for a while, but I got tired of it. .

We've been doing FIAR off an on for a while -- I did it with my oldest for preK, then this year I tried something else for the first semester of K but went back to FIAR this winter. It's been great, and we've spun off a couple of very interesting longer unit studies from the books. I love that my 3yo can join in with a lot of what we do, too.

The jumping around business is the one thing I'm not crazy about, I have to say. A really good timeline and more maps would help, but we're between homes this year so it's been a little difficult to get those set up.

I find myself wondering what we're going to do in the future, though. For now the plan is to continue with FIAR next year (1st grade for the oldest), but I'd be open to a more coherent unit study approach (f that isn't an oxymoron!) if I could come up with one. There has to be something in between "first owls, then postwar Europe" and the "if it's Tuesday it must be the Assyrians" approach of SOTW.

Great blog. My thoughts are to use FIAR with our K'r and choose activities I think the older will enjoy. But is FIAR meant to be a full curriculum? Perhaps I am confused. My thoughts were to choose a book, do the reading before we do a lesson from it, and continue with our Saxon math, Phonic Pathways, and HWOT with the K'r. Is that too much?

Great blog. My thoughts are to use FIAR with our K'r and choose activities I think the older will enjoy. But is FIAR meant to be a full curriculum? Perhaps I am confused. My thoughts were to choose a book, do the reading before we do a lesson from it, and continue with our Saxon math, Phonic Pathways, and HWOT with the K'r. Is that too much?

No it is not meant to be a full curriculum. They tell you that you will need phonics and math. You are not confused. Oh and yes you will need handwriting. No your plan is not too much . :)

It claims to be "a complete curriculum" for k-3 that you need add math and phonics to.

Which is kind funny to me. It's kinda like saying, "It's a COMPLETE meal! All you need to do is add meat and vegetables."

I guess that's fine if you understand what it is and is not.

We've done FIAR off and on for years. As my ds got older, I felt he needed some other things. I added SOTW and science for him. I did FIAR separately for my girls, but my ds continued to choose to sit in for the reading and do the activities. For the last couple years, I've tried to match up FIAR units with other things we're studying. For example, when our history chapter was on China, we did The Story About Ping. I try to add lots of extra books and activities. I also use Homeschool Share a lot. This is my unit study page on my blog that lists all the ones we've done in the last few years. You can click on any of them to see how I add stuff in and combine them with other things.