Menu

What triggers a locked thread?

I can understand when people get snarky or mean. But recently 2 threads which were big, but not out of control or mean got locked. Is it because they take up too much bandwitdth? Sad actually because it felt like we were sitting around a table drinking coffee, laughing, teasing, and discussing something, and poof. Oh well......above my pay grade I guess but I am curious.

I think it's when we devolve into pure silliness and it's going nowhere, although personally I find talk about zombies and cannibalism fascinating and informative. ;):D

lol....maybe not informative, but interesting to see others viewpoints. But yeah I can see it, although I think it was in good fun.

A note about posting We want you to carry on all sorts of conversations on this board. Please do remember, though, that we are hosting it (and it does cost money) as a support forum for home educators. Megalong threads with little content cost us bandwidth and extra money. And so far as we can tell, they DO throw the server for a loop more often than shorter threads. So please don't start threads whose topic is post-for-the-sake-of-posting.

from http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/faq.php

I was kidding around about the zombies, but to be honest if the worst does happen not having meds is a very scary thought. I try not to go there, but lately this board has been very scary with talk about gloom and doom.

The doom and gloom stuff isn't so much scary to me as useless and overwrought.

I think that the particular threads you are talking about had the potential to go south quickly based on previous experience. It was more of a preemptive strike than a reaction to something already happening.

Which is kinda sad, really. Why assume that because X group of people couldn't discuss something civilly that Y group of people also can't?

And for some people, it may very well be the first time they've ever asked a specific question or taken part in a discussion about the topic. They may be unaware that their question or comments has been discussed here (or wherever) in the past with not-the-best results.

Which is kinda sad, really. Why assume that because X group of people couldn't discuss something civilly that Y group of people also can't?

And for some people, it may very well be the first time they've ever asked a specific question or taken part in a discussion about the topic. They may be unaware that their question or comments has been discussed here (or wherever) in the past with not-the-best results.

Maybe you could start another thread like it to discuss things, just not the exact post. I promise I won't talk about zombies. :lol:

Maybe you could start another thread like it to discuss things, just not the exact post. I promise I won't talk about zombies. :lol:

I'll try really hard to avoid talking about zombies, but no promises. They just seem to come up so often in casual conversation, you know? :tongue_smilie: