Menu

K12's HO with STOW????

Thanks to these boards (ahem, and my knee jerk tendencies :lol::lol::lol:) I have amassed quite a collection of history resources. We are doing Ancients this year and due to the rave reviews here re:K12's Human Odyssey, I NATURALLY HAD to order it (I promise to better about this). Well I just got it in the mail and I LUUUUUV, LUUUUUUV IT!!!!! I've been reading through it this morning (already learning tons) and am now trying to figure out how to sync it with STOW. I'm pretty confident that dd10 (who's allergic to the mere smell of all things non-fiction) will be drawn in by the fluidity of the HO text. I dont' want to put it down. It truly reads like a story, much akin to STOW but with more depth and detail. Its a near perfect resource for acquiring those all important logic stage skills: "read, think, discuss, write (coined from another boardie, but can't remember who, sorry!)." Sooooooo, I would love some btdt advice on how you have married the two (or not) as I have a grammar stage dd7 who is following STOW. FWIW I'm planning to follow the STOW sequence.

You know, actually, as I type, think, and refer to the text, I'm beginning to answer my own questions. As long as I follow the STOW sequence, they can both follow a separate spine and I won't have to worry much about lining up everything. I'm in no rush to finish by a certain date so we can take our (reasonable amount of) time on each time period.

PS. I don't have neither the student pages or teacher pages that go with the text and I WILL NOT spend another hard earned penny to get one either!!! :D:D I plan to wing it ala WTM.

Thanks for "listening."

I LOVE LOVE LOVE K-12s HUMAN ODYSSEY TOO! And am so glad I bought all three when they were still cheap!

I'm not synchronizing my two kids in history because they are 5 years apart. My dd 6 is using SOTW Ancients. My ds 11 is using Human Odyssey Middle Ages/Renaissance. For him we just listen to the SOTW Middle Ages CDs in the car over and over and over again.

I've seen the teachers materials for Human Odyssey and while better than most, they are still mostly a collection of activities and questions. You can easily come up with your own after skimming the chapter if you want them. Or you can follow WTM like we do and outline the chapters. This provides an excellent product that can be used for review, and makes the child pay close attention to all the main ideas in the chapter.

We enter dates on the timeline and read appropriate books (historical fiction, biography etc.) and watch appropriate documentaries. That's plenty. We are not "crafty" here and find most "projects" (make a model of a castle, draw your own family crest, etc) a waste of time that could be better spent delving deeper into the material.

P.S. When we get to the discovery of the Americas we will supplement the reading with Joy Hakim's The History of US.

Some have tried to correlate K12HO w/ SOTW Ancients. I know that perhaps two of them, said in the end, it wasn't really necessary. The older child just listened in on SOTW w/ the youngers and moved through K12HO at his own pace. I have a 2nd grader in SOTW Ancients and a 5th grader in K12HO. So my 2nd grader has already covered Sargon w/ us in K12HO (he insists on sitting in) and is coming to it in SOTW1. He doesn't mind the repetition and it will be a 2nd pass for him and help to cement the material.

The older child just listened in on SOTW w/ the youngers and moved through K12HO at his own pace.

This is the way we're doing it.

My oldest dd listens in on the SOTW cd's. We also have a once a week history club where we do the AG activities with two other families that both join in.

ETA: I don't try to align the K12HO with SOTW at all.

For him we just listen to the SOTW Middle Ages CDs in the car over and over and over again.

I've read that others here do the same thing with the CDs. I never remember to do it here. It's a great idea and I'll make a note of it.

Or you can follow WTM like we do and outline the chapters. This provides an excellent product that can be used for review, and makes the child pay close attention to all the main ideas in the chapter.

:iagree:I thought it would be great for outlining too!!

Some have tried to correlate K12HO w/ SOTW Ancients. I know that perhaps two of them, said in the end, it wasn't really necessary. The older child just listened in on SOTW w/ the youngers and moved through K12HO at his own pace. I have a 2nd grader in SOTW Ancients and a 5th grader in K12HO. So my 2nd grader has already covered Sargon w/ us in K12HO (he insists on sitting in) and is coming to it in SOTW1. He doesn't mind the repetition and it will be a 2nd pass for him and help to cement the material.

I'm not sure I've noticed to correlation before, but I too have a second grader and a 5th grader, both doing Ancients.

We also have a once a week history club where we do the AG activities with two other families that both join in.

This is a great idea. We are very crafty here but there never seems to be enough time to get to all those juicy activities in the AG.

Thank you ladies! I too came to the conclusion that wracking my brain to align the two would be futile!! You all have great ideas and I hope you don't mind if I "borrow" some of them. :D:D With all the resources we have on hand it makes it quite painful sometimes trying to decide what to do. There are sooooo, rather toooooo many possibilities!

Edited by PenKase

I have one (a just turned 6 year old) doing SOTW 1 and a 10 year old using Human Odyssey. So far there has been no problem lining them up. I don't always use the whole human odyssey chapter.

I use a few history resources for my logic stage kid. He does the '5 or 6 facts' from Kingfisher Book of the Ancient World, then he does a reading and narration from either Human Odyssey or one of the Oxford "world in ancient times' books. He outlines from one of those resources as well.

So far, things have gone very smoothly.

I follow the schedule from SOTW because my boys like to be doing the same thing. They often play games based on their history reading.