Menu

Brag Alert: Spent the day at.......................

an Odyssey of the Mind Spontaneous Invitational here in Va. Our co-op has two OM teams -- Div I - 3rd-4th graders and Div 2 - 6th graders. Last year the Div 2 team from our co-op placed 2nd in OM World Competition.

Anyway, we have been preparing since October. The coach of the Div I team bailed out in December and I stepped in to Coach the Div I team.

Here's the BRAG: The kids participated in 3 events today -- they were at TJ in Alexandria from 7:30am till 4:30pm while both of out co-op teams competed. From the first event (my Div I team) to the end of the day (dinner out with the kids and some parents at a very nice restaurant), these kids were complimented by every adult, every step of the way for their politeness, their excellent behavior, the way they all got along together so amazingly well, their performance at the competition, their manners at dinner, etc.

In one of the Div I events in which my team did particularly well, one of the judges was talking to them after they competed, and he asked them what grade they were and where did they go to school - they answered and he told them they were one of the best prepared teams he had seen that day. And, then he looked at me and the four other parents who were there with me and said: 'Wow! Homeschooled! Nice job.'

DH told me that one of the teachers at TJ took dh aside after one of the award ceremonies to tell dh that our co-op's kids (and we were only one of two homeschool co-ops there today -- there were, though, 130 teams there) were an absolute pleasure to watch, judge, speak with, etc.

So, WTM-ers, keep up the good work. :thumbup:

Does this mean you are Captain again next year? :D Congratulations to you and your team!!

:w00t: :svengo: The answer to that would be no. :thumbdown: And, thank you for your congrats!:D

I cannot get over the amount of WORK this has been. The RULES that must be followed - which is fine, I understand that, the emails that I get with 19 attachments that I have to read; the forms that have to be filled out; -- but I only stepped in so the work that the kids had done at that point would not go to waste as they MUST have a coach. Plus, my kids and I travel 45 min to an hour to get to OM - our co-op is that far from us. We joined to go to co-op once a week, but OM tends to be 2-3X a week and I just really hadn't bargained for that much time and driving.

And while I'm at it, there was way too much 'dump and run' as I call it......kids being dropped off at practice, and the moms are gone in a flash. You know, there's ALOT of work to do on an endeavor such as this and a little volunteering wouldn't hurt now and then.

An amazing worthwhile experience more so for the kids than for me and it IS about the kids, but I would never take on a coaching role again -- but you knew that already!;)

I thought you were going to say the White House.:D (You're in DC, right?)

Fairfax County, Va -- BUT, trust me, I have lost track of the # of times that I think I am driving 'home' and all of a sudden I see the Kennedy Center to my left and the Washington Monument just ahead and slightly to the right and I realize I have headed EAST instead of WEST on Rt 66.:glare: So, yes, I 'could' easily end up at the WH a couple of times a week if I am not paying attention.:auto:

Excellent!

Looking through the sample problems on the Odyssey of the Mind website is overwhelming to me. It seems very difficult. One example I looked at involves Moby Dick. First you have to understand the chapter, and it isn't an easy book. Then they have to create slides, a scrimshaw (I had to look it up just to know what that was), a sculpture, a screen play, and act it out?! Wow!

Sounds like a great thing to get the kids involved in and let another adult coach. LOL I didn't see any local groups though.

Excellent!

Looking through the sample problems on the Odyssey of the Mind website is overwhelming to me. It seems very difficult. One example I looked at involves Moby Dick. First you have to understand the chapter, and it isn't an easy book. Then they have to create slides, a scrimshaw (I had to look it up just to know what that was), a sculpture, a screen play, and act it out?! Wow!

Sounds like a great thing to get the kids involved in and let another adult coach. LOL I didn't see any local groups though.

JoAnn: Listen to me: BLOCK THE WEBSITE! Never look for groups! Forget that the letters OM even exist. You will thank me for this one day!;) And, that little scenario you described - yes siree......act it out in less than 8 minutes!:glare:

JoAnn: Listen to me: BLOCK THE WEBSITE! Never look for groups! Forget that the letters OM even exist. You will thank me for this one day!;) And, that little scenario you described - yes siree......act it out in less than 8 minutes!:glare:

No worries here. It's overwhelming to even read, let alone consider, or do. I mean, I had to look up what a scrimshaw even was. Then to figure out how to get photographic equipment and teach the kids how to use it? Then create 30-80 slides. Carve a billiard ball? How? Without the kids losing half of their fingers! Write a play, create the background and props, and act it out in front of judges.

Nope! Not me. WAY too difficult. Not motivated enough to do even one of those things with my own kids let alone someone else's. Besides, don't you have to actually know what you are doing before you coach kids in doing it?

It fits right in there with robotics, lego league, math clubs/contests, etc. I wouldn't even know where to start.