Menu

Can someone give me the "nutshell" of Cathy Duffy's Learning Styles?

Our library copy of her book is currently checked out and I am not so patient.

I understand varying learning styles, but have 2E dc that are just so darn hard to nail down when assessing-which I am again about to do.

My dd appears to be a Competent Carla and Sociable Sue-how do I narrow down this assessment?

Thanks-and feel free to PM me iyw. :)

Here is the overview:

http://www.cathyduffyreviews.com/learning%20styles%20fpea%2009.pdf

I know. I can't peg mine, either (esp my tricky firstborn). Here's what I did:

1. I copied each of the learning styles from the above document into a wordprocessing doc (Word doc).
  2. Then, I went through and found which items *did not* fit her style. I used the strikethrough font option to strike out those items.
  3. I gave it some time and thought some more. Came back the next day and did some more striking through (I haven't actually finished this task yet)
  4. Hopefully, what I'll be left with is a visual list of what's left. Hopefully one of the 4 will have the most amt of text left intact and this will reveal her style.

Good luck! BTW, I've found that asking my dd what she thinks doesn't work. She tends to pick the style that sounds the coolest and then says that is her. I used to think she was a sociable sue, but now I'm thinking that is really not her style:001_huh: Even though she loves group classes, she seems so exhausted after being in that environment.

I've found that my kids aren't an exact match for Duffy's types but kind of a mish-mash. My oldest is a mix of "Sociable Sue" and "Perfect Paula". My DS is a mix of "Wiggly Willy" and "Competent Carl". So when I'm using Duffy's reviews, I look for programs that are rated as good for those learning types.

Here is the overview:

http://www.cathyduffyreviews.com/learning%20styles%20fpea%2009.pdf

I know. I can't peg mine, either (esp my tricky firstborn). Here's what I did:

1. I copied each of the learning styles from the above document into a wordprocessing doc (Word doc).
  2. Then, I went through and found which items *did not* fit her style. I used the strikethrough font option to strike out those items.
  3. I gave it some time and thought some more. Came back the next day and did some more striking through (I haven't actually finished this task yet)
  4. Hopefully, what I'll be left with is a visual list of what's left. Hopefully one of the 4 will have the most amt of text left intact and this will reveal her style.

Good luck! BTW, I've found that asking my dd what she thinks doesn't work. She tends to pick the style that sounds the coolest and then says that is her. I used to think she was a sociable sue, but now I'm thinking that is really not her style:001_huh: Even though she loves group classes, she seems so exhausted after being in that environment.

Thanks, Sarah! This is very helpful and I am excited to start my updated investigation.:D

I also like how you do your own assessment by way of deduction.

I've found that my kids aren't an exact match for Duffy's types but kind of a mish-mash. My oldest is a mix of "Sociable Sue" and "Perfect Paula". My DS is a mix of "Wiggly Willy" and "Competent Carl". So when I'm using Duffy's reviews, I look for programs that are rated as good for those learning types.

Yep. So true here, too. Doesn't really matter which expert's assessment I use-my dc usually have a lot of cross-overs.

ETA-I meant my dd seemed to be the mix of Sociable Sue and Perfect Paula-NOT Competent Carla.:tongue_smilie:

Good grief, who knows after puberty has finally arrived.:lol: