Menu

If your family has gone dairy-free,

jld

A friend did that for herself and her dh. His skin cleared up such that people who had known him since childhood didn't recognize him; his nickname was "Red," because of his acne, poor guy. She conceived her first child, and then a second; she had been married for almost 10 years with no pregnancies.

I don't know how long it took to notice any changes in their health

We went dairy free as a convenience because our son had problems with milk from the beginning. It was a benefit for dh and me generally because our seasonal allergies, eczema, and "regularity" improved within a few months--but it was something we noticed after the fact. Also, once we stopped eating dairy we became seriously lactose intolerant within a couple of years. Now, if we decide to occasionally eat something with dairy we take lactase tablets...or suffer the consequences for 3-4 days. Ds never outgrew his milk allergy, but he can now tolerate trace amounts. When he was an infant, his gastrointestinal, diaper rash, and crankiness problems improved within days. His eczema improved a little bit within about 6 months, but he was in his teens before it showed real improvement.

A friend did that for herself and her dh. His skin cleared up such that people who had known him since childhood didn't recognize him; his nickname was "Red," because of his acne, poor guy. She conceived her first child, and then a second; she had been married for almost 10 years with no pregnancies.

I don't know how long it took to notice any changes in their health

WOW.

This dairy issue has been on my mind for a lot of reasons, the most recent being that I watched something a few days ago on recurring polychondritis (I think that's it), the "cauliflower ear syndrome", and how it can be arrested by stopping dairy. We saw a man who I think had this on the subway once, and we could hardly keep from staring. I wish more people knew about the possible connection between this problem and dairy (I don't know if any studies have been done on this). The woman interviewed said she had asked her doctor if diet had anything to do with this illness, and he said no. Do doctors not know about this, or do they just think their patients wouldn't be willing to drop dairy?

And of course I'm wondering what other damage dairy may be doing . . .

Do doctors not know about this, or do they just think their patients wouldn't be willing to drop dairy?

And of course I'm wondering what other damage dairy may be doing . . .

I think most doctors get hardly any training on nutrition in medical school so they really just don't know.

Our family is not completely dairy free, but my husband is and I am mostly dairy free. He has severe problems with his digestion that are made worse by eating beef, dairy, and whole kernel corn. He discovered this by doing a strict elimination diet for 3 months after suffering for years and undergoing tons of tests. I have digestion problems too that are aggravated by cheese and tree nuts.

The kids still eat cheese and yogurt and drink about a glass a day of milk because they like it and do not seem to be adversely effected.

My gastro doc says that the foods that most commonly effect people with digestive issues are soda, coffee, citrus, nuts, and dairy.

Nutrition seems to be a controversial field, too, with so many groups with so many different ideas. Maybe the medical schools don't want to wade into that . . .

And I guess I'm wondering what damage dairy may be doing that we don't see right away. Do people with autoimmune diseases have them just pop out of nowhere, or were they actually years in the making?

I don't notice any difference at all and I got a high IgE score for dairy.

They think my dairy allergy caused my IC. I know it makes my immune system haywire but if I eat a big bowl of ice cream I don't actually feel worse. I already have the illness. I won't feel better not eating dairy I just won't get worse.

Edited by Sis

Nutrition seems to be a controversial field, too, with so many groups with so many different ideas. Maybe the medical schools don't want to wade into that . . .

And I guess I'm wondering what damage dairy may be doing that we don't see right away. Do people with autoimmune diseases have them just pop out of nowhere, or were they actually years in the making?

This is totally unscientific, and based on people I've known, but I think auto-immune diseases "simmer" for many years before something triggers definite symptoms. I had a dear friend who passed away from a strange auto-immune syndrome that didn't fit any recognized category. She had started having odd symptoms several years before she became very ill.

I remember my grandmother telling me that before mass produced foods became widely available doctors assumed that some people were better off avoiding foods which gave them problems and food intolerance was not considered to be something to worry about--it was expected that some people avoided some foods. I'm uneasy about the marketing (both by business and government) of foods under the guise of nutrition and the underlying assumption that everyone must eat certain foods.

Years ago, back when I used to read "Parents" magazine and my dd was a newborn, I read an article (and I once found it online while searching) about a mother who cut out all milk and her son's autism virtually was solved.

Also read in "The Anti Cancer Book" about how cutting out milk cleared up acne in Australian studies. Absolutely LOVE that book.

No time to organize all this jumble, but here are my notes:

If milk were really good for our bones, Americans would have some of the strongest bones in the world. Instead, we have some of the weakest!

The best solution for bone health: eating a low-acid diet. A high-acid environment leaches calcium from bones. The American diet tends to be acid-producing.

Too much sugar, fat, carbohydrates, and protein can make you overly acidic.

When that happens, your body pulls calcium from your bones in an effort to control the imbalance.

While dairy does contain ample calcium, it’s also highly acidic. So if you drink milk or eat a lot of animal protein and don’t include plenty of alkalizing foods, your diet will suck more calcium from bone than it provides and eventually cause osteoporosis.

While for years doctors have been recommending dietary calcium as the best way to ward off osteoporosis, many studies cast doubt on this idea. For example, a 2003 Harvard study looked at diet and hip fractures among 72,337 older women for 18 years and concluded that "Neither milk nor a high-calcium diet appears to reduce (fracture) risk." A more recent Harvard study, this one from 2007, analyzed seven trials that followed a total of 170,991 women for several years and found no association between total calcium intake and hip fracture risk.

The truth is that calcium isn't all it's cracked up to be when it comes to bone health. After all, in Africa and Asia, where people generally don't take calcium supplements and they consume little or no dairy (except for breastfed infants), fracture rates are 50 to 70 percent lower than they are in the US. Statistics show that most industrially advanced countries have the highest fracture rates, although they consume more dairy products than other countries.

Excessive amounts of calcium from supplementation and/or dairy intake can suppress the thyroid gland.

More illnesses are caused by a need for magnesium than for calcium.

Arthritis and joint pain are caused by excessive calcium and insufficient magnesium.

Milk is probably the #1 acne culprit. Even organic milk is a problem. Switch to calcium-fortified soy milk, goat milk, almond milk, and other sources of calcium – spinach, collard greens, tofu, plain yogurt.

I really want to get this book.

51a5LZ9LXxL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

I'm coming to believe, although hard to implement, that the top 3 worst things for the diet:

1. White sugar

2. Cow's Milk

3. HFCS

I also want this book.

5148Jqa6mCL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Also remembered this:

Cow’s milk accounts for up to 80% of the estrogens consumed. This may stem from the fact that cows are milked frequently during pregnancy when estrogen levels are their highest. These estrogens end up in the milk supply and can promote growth of fibroid tumors of the uterus and stimulate breast tissue, potentially increasing the risk of certain types of both benign and malignant breast disease.

Most of us know that high breast estrogen levels increase the risk for breast cancer.