Menu

What would you pay to have someone grade a HS paper?

Look above, there is a place here to post the paper for feedback. Next to the college forum in high school.

Just in case you want free feedback.

Yes, thank you, I've been reading there. I am wanting to have in place, an actual person to assign a grade for my future 9th grader.

I am thinking of approaching a neighbor that is a retired HS English teacher and a young woman at my dh's office that has a Masters in Journalism.

I would start with what the average rates for a piano teacher are in your area (amount charged & time spent). Then I might add or subtract according to experience and skill, materials provided, etc.

I know there are some threads on this board about tutoring rates, and there are many private tutors on the boards, so you might hunt around. Remember that even in a teensy-tiny portion, the tutor as your employee must cover her own Social Security tax, sick leave, etc.

Julie

Anything to do with papers - be it proofreading and correcting, translation, or "just" reading and grading - is usually payed per page, rather than per hour. Prices truly do vary greatly, so it's hard to find a rule of the thumb. You might look into what proofreaders charge in your area? This wouldn't be proofreading for publishing that they do, but it would involve criticism and grading, so maybe the amount of "effort" needed would be about even or so. That's where I'd look.

Interesting, I've never thought of just grading without any tutoring feedback, but you're probably right, Ester Maria, that's what the OP was asking.

But charging per page sounds risky to me, since pages can vary so much. It takes me tons more time to grade my 12th grade students compared to my 4th grade ones -- no comparison. But maybe a college editing site would give a good gauge (I wouldn't do a comparison to commercial proofreading, which I've been involved with, and it's a whole different field. And the place I worked paid employees by the hour.)

Julie

Edited by Julie in MN

another company out there, write at home, has a Pay Per Paper option.

here's a link to their prices. maybe that will help you to offer a price to your real life friend.

http://www.writeathome.com/Display.aspx?tabid=169

never used their staff, but the price structure might help you to decide what to pay someone. They don't do per page nor per hour. It's a different ballgame.

One of the services they offer seems to have feedback/tutoring options for that paper, so it isn't unheard of either.

-crystal