Menu

CW Homer and my silly self.

siloam

I have been reading my Homer core book, preparing. I am wonder if I even need to student book and Instructors guide.

I tried the grammar in Aesop, but being grammar handicapped, dd and I mostly spent our time reverse engineering it from the answers in the Teacher's Guide. I bought JAG, and that makes sense to me. Dd is doing better with it. Most of her errors are carelessness because she rushes too much (and I make her do it again). Point being they have a specific method of doing things, so I will probably apply JAG methodology to CW models (parsing and diagramming). I might do Harvey's myself but until dd can do the JAG method with confidence I don't think she should be taking on something as challenging as Harvey's. Nor will we do dictation, she has that skill down cold (did it daily from her K year till Jan), but she needs to work on her handwriting so she will do copywork.

I do have the Student book for Homer A and in looking at it I am just thinking we will not use so much, and what we will use might be better done by creating check lists that she can go through and show her work in a notebook. There are sections which do not have lines, which will cause problems, I am concerned the diagramming isn't allows enough room, often in Aesop there wasn't enough lines to finish her work, at least for my dd, on and on...

All this to say I am TERRIFIED to let go of the security of the workbook. It is ridiculous. Really, I would tell myself to drop it in a heart beat, but given this is my weakest subject I am clinging to this thing with both hands and a death grip.

Can anyone relate? Wanna cry with me laugh with me, or am I just plain nuts? Sigh...

Heather

I used the workbooks for Homer A because I was terrified of going it alone. Homer seemed like such a learning curve after Aesop. But I found we did not do most of the grammar lessons, and by lesson 8, I had the routine down, and added in levels as I felt Storm was ready to handle the material. Although I have Homer B materials on the shelf, we're going to do our own thing & follow the Homer Core guide. I may use the TM as an outline as to when to add in various levels for analysis, but that's about it.

We're studying Greece, Rome, and the Middle Ages next fall, and I found that Imitation in Writing along with the History Based Lessons from IEW will be an excellent fit for our Homer B studies next school term.

Just take the leap, if you need to back track, you already have the materials on hand.

I'm right with the rest of you. I didn't even purchase CW until they came out with the workbooks and IGs. I keep reading the posts which say that the workbook is not needed for Diogenes. I have a year until we get to the level, but I'm still thinking I will purchase the workbooks for my boys. Actually, I'm little worried that there's not an IG available...

• 2 weeks later...
You're brave, Heather! I love having both the IG & student book. I like how the IG plans everything out for me, and I like having the models for each exercise chosen and incorporated into the student book.

Nope, I am not quite ready to go commando with the curriculium. :D I bought it used and it came with the little model book as well, so I would just work straight off the models, then create some checklists/forms with lines for her to work with, have her do copywork into a notebook...I think it would work better and I can still use the student texts as a guide.

The bigger problem is that we won't use the grammar and the forms they do have don't have lines (which means she will write BIG, so there is not enough space). Then consider that they don't have space for the writing portion anyway...well the only section that I think wold work for us is the copywork section, and that can easily be done in a notebook.

What I might do is use the workbook as a guide, but customize things to meet our needs (more lines, and re-do the grammar sections).

Heather

Hmm. Not really sure . I'm with you on not letting go with the security of the workbook. Maybe you can get it and if you get to a point you don't feel you need it anymore you can just drop it . Just a thought :>)

I do have the workbooks already, and you nailed the security thing. I think I will be....peeking at it a lot, but overall it isn't a good fit. There is just too much we wouldn't use.

Heather

I'm right with the rest of you. I didn't even purchase CW until they came out with the workbooks and IGs. I keep reading the posts which say that the workbook is not needed for Diogenes. I have a year until we get to the level, but I'm still thinking I will purchase the workbooks for my boys. Actually, I'm little worried that there's not an IG available...

Yes, I am also thinking that long term I will still buy the workbooks, but not use them for anything but an idea of how to structure things in our own way, LOL!

Heather

I'm looking at Homer Core and Workbook right now. I wish I had had it last year, when we did Greece. Next year, we are moving on to Rome and the first millenium.

Before I spend the summer recreating the wheel, does anyone who has BTDT have any recommendations for models from that era?

It will be for a 12 year-old girl, if that helps.

TIA