Menu

New Zealand- what can anyone tell me about it as a place to live?

First things first. Have you checked their immigration requirements? It would be a shame to build your castle in the sky just to have it knocked down by nasty, mundane requirements like those.

Yes, they are friendly towards foreigners unless the foreigner is a jerk :tongue_smilie:

Rosie- from the landmass next door ;)

My cousins moved there almost 15 years ago. The husband was transferred there for his job and she taught high school for awhile. He quit his job, so did she, and now they live very, very simply off of their investments. They have 2 boys, no car, and live in a 500 square foot apartment. They could not have done the same thing here (according to my cousin.)

I don't know about visas - I assume they are there legally!:lol:

First things first. Have you checked their immigration requirements? It would be a shame to build your castle in the sky just to have it knocked down by nasty, mundane requirements like those.

Yes, they are friendly towards foreigners unless the foreigner is a jerk :tongue_smilie:

:iagree:

We've been in the process of immigrating to NZ for over a year now. The requirements are very high. DH's qualifications for his job are not enough for him to meet the job skills set, and right now we are searching for a place to start a business, if possible. We would sell our small business here and start a new one there. The requirements for that are very strict also.

That said, the people of NZ are absolutely wonderful in our experience. DH went on a fact-finding trip there last July and ended up spending half of his trip in the hospital. He was treated with the utmost care; in and outside of the hospital everyone he met was very friendly (the friendliest people he's ever met, in fact). He spent his whole time on the south island, mainly around Christchurch.

I've heard that the cost of living is high there, but from what DH saw, and what I've researched on the interet, it isn't too much higher than where we live. But there are a few things (books, for example) are quite expensive there, compared to the US.

We've been looking at this as well. DH is getting a teaching degree and they need teachers, so the visa would be fairly easy to get. Newcomers can access medical care very quickly which is critical for us. It does look rather expensive to live there, but the cost of living must be fairly reasonable since something like 70% of New Zealanders own their homes.

I would assume that if someone was born there, they have citizenship and can just move on in. They'll have to get a Visa for the OP, and spouse visas aren't easy, but they are not as hard as a Permanant Resident Visa.

We've been looking at this as well. DH is getting a teaching degree and they need teachers, so the visa would be fairly easy to get. Newcomers can access medical care very quickly which is critical for us. It does look rather expensive to live there, but the cost of living must be fairly reasonable since something like 70% of New Zealanders own their homes.

Yes, cost of living is high, definitely higher than what you guys are used to. Food, energy, gas and all consumer items will all be more expensive. If you are working it out by calculating the exchange rate, then it won't look so bad, but you won't be earning in USD. It's easier when looking at the cost of living in another country to work solely in their currency, so take your salary, subtract tax (IRD website can give you that) and living costs all in their currency. You will have access to the govt Universal Health Care, so at least you won't have astronomical health insurance.

NZers own their own homes because 1/ it's part of the culture, owning your own piece of paradise is seen as very important and 2/ they just have less stuff, I noticed in the US the sheer volume of STUFF that people have/buy. I realise that's because it's so darn cheap, but in NZ it's not, so if you want your own home, you buy less stuff.

I think family values are probably similar to the US, it's a much less religious country, no prayers before major games or other things. I was surprised at how Christianity permeates US culture, it's not like that in NZ (or Australia)

NZ allows Gay couples full rights under law, they can not marry but they can have a civil union, which is an alternative for heterosexual couples too.

The native people have many protections under law, and the Maori language is an official language alongside English. Children learn some Maori language and culture at school.

Politics are a long way further to the left than even your liberal party, Your left wing makes NZs right wing look like lefties.

NZ was hit fairly hard by the GFC, properties lost a lot of value, a lot of businesses went under and a lot of unemployment. It wasn't was bad as the US but from what I have heard, it wasn't great. My brothers business had six employees before the GFC and now has one, but it's still going, which is pretty good! NZ has a different mortgage structure to the US, so there will have been less foreclosures, so that will stop the property market bottoming out.

They are friendly to foreigners as long as the foreigners don't spend the whole time telling them how they should change to be more like X.

Edited by keptwoman

:D

Economy, family values, cost of living, friendly towards foreigners(though hubby was born there, but left at 2yo) etc...

I live in NZ & think it's a great place to live & raise a family, but in saying that NZ is not Utopia.

Economy----NZ's economy is very depressed at the moment. Unemployment rates are high & the low US$ has really hurt our exporters. We've had a number of investment companies go under, the building industry is really hurting, & we are not seeing much growth in other areas. Dh was made redundant last August & both of us have been looking for work since then. DH finally got an interview last friday, but today we found that he wasn't chosen. I haven't even got that far. Being a teacher, I thought I would pick up something fairly easily, even just subbing, but I have had NO luck. Even beginning teachers straight out of uni are having to go to the Far North or the Westcoast to get positions. There have been a lot of positions advertized, but hundreds apply for each.

Family Values----NZ is a great place to raise a family. Social problems are a decade or so behind the States IMHO. If you are very conservative you may have issues with the civil union & anti-smacking laws that were passed a few years ago, but as a HSer, I haven't heard of many places in the world that is as open to HSing as NZ. Work hours in NZ tend to be longer than those in the States, unless you work for a government agency.

Cost of Living---Cost of living is high & most incomes are low. Houses are smaller on average than what I was used to in the States. Many houses, unless they were built in the past 10 years are not fully insulated & don't have double glazing, etc. It doesn't get very cold by world standards here even in the middle of winter, but while 50F outside is pleasant, 50F inside is COLD! Petrol was $1.97/litre when I filled up the car last week. Milk costs $3.60+ for a 2 litre bottle. The cheap white bread is $1.50 / loaf. Eggs are $6.00+ for a tray of 30 eggs. Mince (ground beef) is $8.99/kg. My average grocery bill for my family is $250-300/week. Our power bill is $250-300/month & we have no airconditioner, no electric heating, & use the dryer less than a dozen times a year. The basic phone charge w/o long distance calls is $57/month. Broadband internet runs about $39.99/month for 2 GB. NZ is putting in a fiber network, but it is a few years away yet for most areas. They are rolling it out in the main provincial areas (not Auckland :D ) first. My city is the first to get fiber & it won't reach my street until mid-2012. Income taxes are 33% for the average salary of $48K. GST is 15% & that is on everything, including food & taxes (yes we even pay tax on our tax:confused: ) Public schooling is not free. Uniforms are required in all highschools & many primary schools as well. Other education costs include school "donations", course fees, stationary fees, & even bus fees in some areas. NZ has socialized medicine, but it is only totally free for children under 6. A doctors visit costs my family $10 for my dc & $20 for adults. Prescriptions cost us $3 as we qualify for a community service card, due to low income. Hospitalization is free, but if your condition isn't life threatening you go on a waitlist. To avoid this many chose to take out health insurance. My family has hospitalization-only health insurance at $130/month. Dental care is free for children under 18, but this is through the school dental nurses.

Friendly towards Foreigners----Over all NZ is very friendly towards foreigners, but this does vary from area to area & somewhat depending on where the foreigner is from. If you move here with the idea of adopting the kiwi lifestyle you will find people very open. If you move here but try to recreate your American lifestyle, you will find people don't give you much time. I have many time seen Americans needing big houses, big cars, all the latest gagets, etc.

Where in NZ was your dh born? Does he want to move close to family he has here? Is he Maori or Pakeha? If your dh was born in NZ, you may be able to get your dc NZ citizenship by decent through him. That would mean you would only have to apply for a residence visa for you.

If you have more specific questions, let me know. I was born & raised in the States, while we moved to dh's hometown after years in the Pacific Islands. Most days I love living in NZ, but it isn't easy ATM with the economy.

Blessings,

Edited by Deb in NZ