Menu

Teaching Textbooks

pfamilygal

I am overwhelmed. With 6 kids 10 and under (including 2 dyslexics and one with sensory issues), a nursing baby and a part time job, I am not able to get everything done.

We have been doing Singapore and the kids like it, but I have to sit with them and teach everything for math.

Susannah is second grade and doing 2A/2B this year. Nate is 4th grade and doing 3A/3B.

Would TT be a good fit for us next year? What levels would be good?

We are starting TOG after spring break for our main stuff (we just finished MFW CTG).

It sounds like it might be. We have been using TT4 this year and so far I'm still loving it. I like that my dd can do it by herself, but if she needs help, it is easy for me to sit down with her and help. I love the gradebook where I can check each lesson and problem so I can better understand if she is having a struggle where it is. I also like that it works for so many different types of learners.

You can have your kids try out a sample lesson and get a placement test for them at http://teachingtextbooks.com/ Our placement test was very accurate.

:grouphug: Right there with you on the six kids 9 and under, with sensory issues, etc., though we're long done nursing, and I'm only hs-ing my oldest - the guinea pig :D and most high-maintenance of them all :glare:. And no job.

You may want to consider MM, which is more independent than SM, but still the same Asian-style conceptual math. The lessons are written to the student and it's all-in-one, text and workbook together ("worktext") - there is no separate teacher manual, no separate workbook. I still need to hover near dd and do the occasional hand-holding in accordance with her mood :glare:, but I do very little actual teaching of math.

I've tried about every math program there is to try. My favs are MM and TT. So to help me with my time issues, I am using TT with an online (reminds me of the headsprout phonics and reading program) math program called Math Whizz. Math whizz has the Asian math I love and it's all taught and worked on independently. I found Math Whizz at homeschool coop . com

We're VERY happy with our math combo this year. The best part of all is the kids are loving math for the first time, and it's getting done daily without whining.

TT has been a Godsend for us. It is working beautifully for dd, and because I am not a good math teacher I am happy too! We have used TT for the past two years and plan to stay with it all the way through. I also supplement with LOF once per week just for fun and to add variety. This is a recommendation of TWTM for reasons stated regardless of math program you are using, not because TT needs to be supplemented in order to work.

Not only does the teaching part of TT work successfully, but the parent set up and gradekeeping is excellent. I can go in and check on how dd is doing, even down to problems she has missed so I know what is happening and can follow along. At the end of each school year I print off the grades and put them in my teacher's binder along with our records.

BTW, I am also friends with another family with six dc that are hs'd. Each student has their own laptop loaded with their level of TT. That family loves TT too and has purchased all the levels.

Blessings,

Lucinda