Menu

For laughs: If I knew then - materials dumped - or if I only had a brain?

Thought we could laugh at ourselves for a minute.

I inherited a Lot of home schooling materials when I started. The 2 things that stood out:

WRTR...I looked at it like, "WHAT?" and gave it to the library. I SO wish I would have figured it out! It may have prevented our hellacious remediation in junior high!

The other thing...a KONOS workbook that I sold for $2:svengo:I was like..."Chronological, unit study, for the large family? Huh?"

It's all funny now b/c I use PR and TOG...not exactly the same things, but pretty close :) My how time changes things!

I did keep, which I never use, but just can't throw out...some Basic Math VHS from the Teaching Company. Now, I'm all "OOOHHH the Teaching Company." It's really a dust collector, but I just.can't.part with it.

What's on your...if I only had a brain, list?

I purchased Saxon Phonics to use with my kiddos when I first started homeschooling. Once I received it, I was like, "What, all that coding, it's too hard and wow, lots of mom time." I ended up giving it away, only to repurchase and use with my last two young ones :tongue_smilie:

Wonder how things would be different if I would have used it with all my children.

There are a few more things, but I'll have to come back later ;)

Edited by Homeschooling6

For me it's been the Usborne history books. I really don't like them. :o

I picked up several at a garage sale a while back and after flipping through them, decided that I didn't want to use them in my homeschool. I had History of the Ancient World, Internet-Linked Greeks, etc. TONS of them, actually, and in new condition. I just didn't like them and made the decision to sell them- for cheap too!! :w00t: (normally I'm bad about holding onto books just in case :rolleyes:).

Well, here I sit, going through the year plans for TOG and ordering books I'll need and right there are all the titles that used to be sitting on my shelf. :glare: Taunting me to buy them again so we can use them for TOG. :glare: I refuse to give in. :tongue_smilie: I didn't like them the first time and I'm sure I won't like them now, but why oh why must they all be there in the TOG primary resources lists. :glare:

How about right now??? I used to own a couple of Smarr's lit guides and got rid of them b/c I didn't like them. :tongue_smilie: I am considering switching 9th grade ds to Smarr next yr. :confused: Don't ask me why b/c I just don't know!!!

ETA: Hey, I actually feel better. My 11th grader was looking over my shoulder while I was typing that and she told me I hadn't sold the British Lit; she had just seen it in our storage cabinet. I went and pulled it out and it is actually Stobaugh and not Smarr. You have no idea how much better that makes me feel b/c I couldn't understand why I thought I might like something that I knew I didn't!! That is so not like me. Buying things that I never should have.....yep! I do that a lot!! But I don't normally re-consider things that I know haven't worked in the past!!

Edited by 8FillTheHeart

This is my I should have bought item. Two weeks ago I was at a thrift store and bought Hooked on Phonics Level 1 for $3!! They had all the levels for that price but I didn't buy because I could always come back. IT's been two weeks and I still haven't made it back there, and Lili loves her flash cards with her 80's music cassette tape!!:D

Mine's recent. Two years ago i bought AAS level 1 and thought "oh we'll never use this, too teacher intensive". I sold it (instead of getting a full refund for the company). Then last year I thought, "AAS might actually be what we need". So I bought level 1 and 2. Then I got sick, sent the kids to a private school for a few months while I healed, and sold AAS. I bought it this year and am loving it!!!

The flip side to this is that I don't get rid of anything. :lol: I have several things that we never got to or didn't work as well as I had hoped. I'm paranoid about getting rid of them because I know as soon as I do I'll want them back.

Oh well, another bookcase is still cheaper than rebuying an expensive program. :lol:

The flip side to this is that I don't get rid of anything. :lol: I have several things that we never got to or didn't work as well as I had hoped. I'm paranoid about getting rid of them because I know as soon as I do I'll want them back.

Oh well, another bookcase is still cheaper than rebuying an expensive program. :lol:

:lol:

I hold onto stuff until I need to sell to buy what I currently think is going to be the next best thing and guarantee a harvard grad and order my homeschool days perfectly! I am starting to figure out (I'm a little slow....) that *using* curricula guarantees success...not researching it! :tongue_smilie:

I hold onto stuff until I need to sell to buy what I currently think is going to be the next best thing and guarantee a harvard grad and order my homeschool days perfectly! I am starting to figure out (I'm a little slow....) that *using* curricula guarantees success...not researching it! :tongue_smilie:

:rofl: