Menu

Please rate my 7yo son writing

blessedmom3

We did not do any creative writing , except WWE. He needs to have an evaluation at the PS and they said he will be tested in creative writing ...

How detailed should be his writing?

Here is what he wrote , unedited . Please be honest and tell me what we need to improve. I am a math person and can hardly write a sentence myself :)

-------------------------------------------------------------

What I will do with a million dollars

I will buy some very good Trident layers and some minty candy and a few licorece . And buy my sweet mommy some dark milky choclate and save the rest.

Thank you so much !

I was concerned after seeing what PS requires for Kindergarten! My son should be in 1st grade but I requested him to be put in 2nd because of his age (he is 7) and he has good academic skills. But they said it depends how he does in creative writing. and math .

Wouldn't you worry after seeing this ? :)

http://www.escambia.k12.fl.us/schscnts/mcae/KindergartenMasteryChecklist.pdf

Kindergarten evaluation:

My house is*very special to*

me. It*is*big and has*a

wonderful yard. My*

friends*like to play at*my*

house. These are the*

reasons*my house is*

special.

· 1*or more main ideas

· Multiple strong supporting details

· Uses*descriptive words*deliberately and effectively

· Has*ending sentence that*ties*writing together

5*

I see my blu*house.

I like my house becuz

it*is*big.

My hous*is*new and big.

I like liveing in my hous.

· 1*main idea with 2*supporting details.

· Uses*descriptive words

· No set*number of sentences*

4*

I see a hos*

It*is*big.

I see a big hos.

· 1*main idea with 1*supporting detail (may be one

complex*sentence)

· Consistent*use of spacing between words

· Begin to see descriptive words

· Uses*correct*end punctuation at*end of entire writing*

3*

I liv in a hs*

i like my hws*

I live in a hos

· Simple sentence with spaces

· Temporary spelling

· May have punctuation, but*not*required*

2*

ilivinhs*

Ilvinhs.

ilivinhs.

· Teacher can read but*has*inconsistent*or no spacing*

between words

· May or may not*have punctuation

· One idea

1*

HS*Bg*

hsbg

· Beginning and ending sounds*present

· May have spacing and/or capitalization

· Letters*may run together

· Not*a complete sentence

0*

fkrstwe

Rachel*

c m o

· Does*not*address*the prompt

· Response is*illegible

· Does*not*attempt*to write

· Uses*random letters

· No spacing or

This is even more worrisome for First Grade:

http://old.escambia.k12.fl.us/schscnts/mcae/FirstGradeMasteryChecklist.pdf

First Grade*Rubric

· Addresses prompt consistently

· Demonstrates a beginning, a middle, and*an ending

· Uses advanced*vocabulary, descriptive words, and creative details

· Uses complete sentences with*a variety of sentence patterns

· Uses correct capitalization*and*punctuation*consistently

· Demonstrates knowledge of correct spelling conventions for commonly used*words

· Demonstrates a beginning, a middle, and*an ending

· Consistently uses descriptive words and*supporting*details

· Uses complete sentences with*some variety in*patterns

· Uses correct capitalization*and*punctuation*consistently

· Demonstrates knowledge of correct spelling conventions for commonly used*words

· Demonstrates a beginning and an ending

· Uses descriptive words and details

· Generally uses complete sentences, capitalization*and*punctuation

· Commonly used*words are usually spelled*correctly*

· Addresses prompt generally

· Demonstrates a beginning and may attempt an*ending

· Uses descriptive words minimally

· Uses some complete sentences, capitalization*and*punctuation

· Uses some standard and*temporary spelling*for commonly used*words

· Addresses prompt generally

· Attempts a beginning and/or*ending

· Uses some complete and fragmented*sentences

· Uses temporary spelling

· Uses capitalization*and*punctuation minimally*

· Attempts to address the prompt

· Produces confused*writing

· Uses fragmented*sentences

· Uses temporary spelling

· May attempt to use capitalization and punctuation*

· Response is illegible

· Refuses to write

I grew up in Escambia County! :001_smile:

blessedmom3, I've enjoyed following your posts since you've been here. I hope you don't leave the boards completely once your kids start school. You'll have to check back in with us sometimes. Wishing you well on your journey...

Edited by Amie

I'm no writing expert, but I do know public schools often have different ideas of what is developmentally appropriate work for different ages than homeschoolers might. It really depends on educational philosophy.

BUT I did want to say - awww, he loves you, he wants to give you chocolate :). You have to love that!

That is too sweet! My husband teaches second grade in public school; they spend a lot of time on this kind of writing. They use a very similar rubric as the first grade rubric you posted. DH says that for grades 1 through 3, the teachers are looking for the same things in the kids' writing, just a bit more advanced with each year.

DH really likes the adjectives your son used. The capitalization, punctuation and spelling look very good. He would want to work on sentence structure to minimize run-ons. Many second graders are still working on that in his class. When your son answers the prompt at his evaluation, it will probably be something that can be elaborated a bit more, so that there is a beginning, a middle, and an end - more of a story rather than an answer to a factual question. We are in a different state and system obviously but I thought it might help to hear from somebody who reads a lot of second grade writing.

That is too sweet! My husband teaches second grade in public school; they spend a lot of time on this kind of writing. They use a very similar rubric as the first grade rubric you posted. DH says that for grades 1 through 3, the teachers are looking for the same things in the kids' writing, just a bit more advanced with each year.

DH really likes the adjectives your son used. The capitalization, punctuation and spelling look very good. He would want to work on sentence structure to minimize run-ons. Many second graders are still working on that in his class. When your son answers the prompt at his evaluation, it will probably be something that can be elaborated a bit more, so that there is a beginning, a middle, and an end - more of a story rather than an answer to a factual question. We are in a different state and system obviously but I thought it might help to hear from somebody who reads a lot of second grade writing.

Thank you so much Catherine . I just found a forgotten book in my bookcase "Write Away a handbook for young writers" that states these things (beginning , middle and end ) so I am working on that until he has the evaluation . It's a great book about writing , I wish I'd used it before but I didn't know he will go to PS and I like SWB's philosophy for writing.

I grew up in Escambia County! :001_smile:

blessedmom3, I've enjoyed following your posts since you've been here. I hope you don't leave the boards completely once your kids start school. You'll have to check back in with us sometimes. Wishing you well on your journey...

Thanks Amie. I won't leave , I am addicted to these boards :)

They are my coffee break !

I am planning to afterschool . I feel the PS will last only until May-June (if that). I need a break and a free childcare :glare:

+ I am hoping my dc will have fun too .The are excited to go in the school bus and go in a cafeteria. But yeah, after reading this , who would not be concerned to send their dc to PS?

http://betrayed-whyeducationisfailing.blogspot.com/2011/01/what-i-see-parent-volunteer-tells.html?spref=fb

I think it sounds great.

FWIW, when DS was in ps last year for 1st grade, he was required to have a beginning, middle and ending with a minimum of 4 sentences. Subject sentence, 2 supporting sentences and then a closing sentence....he ALWAYS forgot the closing sentence. They also had to edit their own work...crazy.

Wow! That's crazy! They require that in 1st grade?!? My kids would be seriously behind. Even my third grader has had zero formal writing experience. We are starting IEW next year. It's when I start hearing all these stories that I start to get anxiety that I've done my children a disservice, but I've just got to stay the course and not get caught up in comparisons.

Thank you so much Catherine . I just found a forgotten book in my bookcase "Write Away a handbook for young writers" that states these things (beginning , middle and end ) so I am working on that until he has the evaluation . It's a great book about writing , I wish I'd used it before but I didn't know he will go to PS and I like SWB's philosophy for writing.

You're welcome - I also prefer SWB's approach to writing! I do think there are kids at this age who love to play with creative writing, who really enjoy being an author and creating something for others to read, but as a vocation rather than a developmental need. Out of a class of twenty children, maybe one or two are like this, so it's frustrating that they spend so much time doing it. In our state, it's because standardized testing starts in third grade, and these prompts are exactly how they measure achievement in writing. If it weren't for that, there would be plenty of time to learn how to write to all these standards.

I read the link, and the most aggravating thing is how much time it takes school districts and teacher training to back away from some of the experiments gone horribly wrong, like Everyday Math and refusing to engage all students. I had dinner with three teachers last week, and I think they complained about half of what was on that list, so if you have a problem with how something's done at your new school, it's possible your child's teacher may be an unexpected ally.