Menu

Can you tell me about Lightening Lit? How does it look with with my other choices?

I'm thinking of using it with my upcoming 7th grader. What do you like or dis-like about it? Are you sticking with it long term? Any thought would be helpful.

I did a search here on LL, and based on what I found, this is what I'm thinking (for LA):

LL7- reading

IEW- writing

Cozy Grammar Intermediate Grammar 1- grammar

Phonetic Zoo- spelling

EIC- grammar (she likes this, so I'll squeeze it in once or twice a week)

Poetry study- (quick & easy)

Spencerian- cursive (probably just on Fridays)

Thanks!

I'm a little nervous about making the right choices for 7th grade!!

:tongue_smilie: My gosh, they really do grow up so fast!!

Edited by helena

We used and enjoyed LL7 and LL8. You may read my review here.

Lori D. has a nice review in this thread.

You may also want to look into Figuratively Speaking (check Rainbow Resource) as well. It makes a nice supplement to LL7.

I do not plan on using LL at the high school level. The reviews I have seen say it's rather weak.

I think the rest of your LA plans look fine.

HTH!

I hate when I do that in the title. But, I think you can fix it by using Edit and Go Advanced. That allows you to edit the title. Makes it easier to search out the correct title days, weeks, months, later. Ask me how I know.

Thanks!

ETA: Hmm, does it only change the title on the actual post?

Edited by helena

We have been using LL7 this year for dds in 7th grade, and while I like the selections, I feel that they have overestimated the ages for which these works are appropriate. If I had known, I would have used LL8 this year, and then moved on to my next year's plan, which is still going to be EIL's Intro to Lit. To be clear, I think LL7 is good, but perhaps a better bet for 6th grade. As usual, YMMV.:D

We have been using LL7 this year for dds in 7th grade, and while I like the selections, I feel that they have overestimated the ages for which these works are appropriate. If I had known, I would have used LL8 this year, and then moved on to my next year's plan, which is still going to be EIL's Intro to Lit. To be clear, I think LL7 is good, but perhaps a better bet for 6th grade. As usual, YMMV.:D

We are in fact using it with my sixth grader, although he is strong with language arts. We'll be doing LL8 next year for 7th. I wouldn't have wanted to miss LL7 though, we've gotten so much enjoyment out of it.

I think LL7 is good, but perhaps a better bet for 6th grade. As usual, YMMV.:D

And really, YMDV -- Your Mileage DOES Vary (LOL!)Our experience was that LL7 was a perfect fit for our DS when he was in 7th grade.

JMO, but I think each of LL7 and LL8 is flexible down OR up a grade from the stated grade level, depending on:

- your student's reading comfort level

- your student's maturity level/readiness for the "step up" into classic lit.

- past exposure (or lack of) to formal classic literature

- literary analyzing skills (or no previous exposure)

- even your student's interests in types of genre!

Warmest regards, Lori D. :)