Menu

Planning for 3rd grade

mommy4ever

Here is what I have so far:

Math - Math Mammoth 3(love it ;) ) daily - 45 minutes

Bible - Positive Action curriculum, book 2 - 3. We start everyday now with reading from the bible. My heart positively glows as she loves it. My parents never did it for me. I love that she enjoys it so much. I started her in the first grade book this year, only because it starts from the very beginning, so I'll now continue through the series. Then see where to go from there. daily, but takes about 15 minutes a day, unless we get into heavy discussions..lol.

Science - Local space science center workshops that align with provincial curriculum, and library and what we have on hand for the rest of the topics. Done in just a short time :lol: for the year, which is good for a non science mom. Once a week.

Social - SOTW - 2nd half of SOTW as well as the board curriculum, as this is the only thing I can find for anything about Canada. SOTW is for dd's sheer enjoyment of it we have the CD's and activity guide, we usually do a coloring page and a craft. This is 1 or 2 days a week.

LA - Using AAS 3-4ish depending on progress, CLE LA, she loves the samples we printed and we will still using WWE, as dd loves the literature passages in it, and it gives her penmanship practice at the same time :) Best of both worlds her. And not sure about FLL... her eyes glaze over on me. So going to watch the CLE to really see if it's necessary. If not we'll do FLL. I have these levels already from my older daughters, so if we don't it's not a waste, but if we need it, it is there.

AAS- 2x 20 minutes

WWE - 2x 15 minutes

FLL - 2 x 15 minutes

CLE - daily 15-30 minutes(based on samples)

So even if we do FLL too, it still isn't all that much time for her.

Art - we do workshops 1 to 2 x a month, and all the crafty things in Social, Bible and Science. We had a curriculum this year, and it was unnecessary.

Music - she will continue with Pianimals, at her own pace. We will try to take in a musical and ballet again. Daily fun :) about 15 minutes, sometimes it can be hours in the evening..lol. Good thing we can use a headset..

Health - love the school board curriculum.. best of all, it's free :) And it doesn't take alot of time :) Lots of cut and paste, posters to make. A little girls dream. 2 times a week.

So..... there it is. I know LA is maybe on the heavy side. But this is where we spend most of our time along with Math. Science, Art, Health, Social are covered so quickly, and are for spice and interest. LA and Math are crucial to learn. With those 2 skills, she'll be able to devour any other interest and there is no cap to her learning.

I think I've strayed from the Classical model from WTM being History heavy to Literature heavy.

I've been in the planning stages, too, for 3rd grade and trying to figure out exactly what will challenge her yet engage her. Our biggest and newest adventure is starting VP. We're very visual and I think it's going to work better than SOTW for us.

Bible - VP Genesis-Joshua

Math - Singapore 3A&B

Handwriting - CLP's Writing with Grace (2x/week)

Spelling - Building Spelling Skills 3

Grammar/Writing -MCT Grammar & Sentence Island

Literature - Little House on Prairie books and possibly hosting book club using Prairie Primer

Poetry Memorization - we choose one a month from our reading

History - VP Ancient Egypt

Geography - own Africa unit

Science - own units on health, habitats, and dinosaurs (more interest-led)

Art - undecided - need suggestions

Music - piano lessons plus maybe unit on orchestra (already bought but hadn't gotten to it yet)

We do about 4 - 5 hours a day four days a week, and I think she's ready for more in-depth stuff. Should be a fun year. We LOVE homeschooling.

I agree. LA and Math are crucial. However, if your dd's eyes glaze over with FLL, I can't imagine that both FLL and CLE will be necessary.

I'm in heavy planning mode here as well. My second ds will be a senior next year and I know from my first ds that there will be a lot going on. I am trying to keep this in mind as I plan for my ds who will be a 3rd grader, so he will be doing a number of classes outside the home to keep us on track. This also means that his school year will look very- well, classroom-ish. Fortunately, I am sure that he will be fine with that.:)

Memory Work/ Spine: Classical Conversations Year 3 Foundations and Essentials

Language Arts: CC Foundations memory work, CC Essentials of the English Language, IEW US Based Writing Vol1, Our Mother Tongue, Spelling Plus, and literature coordinated with our history

Math: Kumon, AoPS

History: CC Foundations memory work, America's History by Bernstein as a spine with my own reader and read-aloud selections

Science: CC Foundations memory work, Great Science Adventures Discovering the Ocean (1st sem), Great Science Adventures Atoms, Molecules, Matter (2nd sem)

Latin: I am hopeful that the instructor that taught my oldest will be teaching a beginner class next year.

Arts: CC Foundations, Great American Artists for Kids, violin lessons, art and drama enrichment classes

I will be doing my third pass through homeschooling third grade this fall. My little guy will use the following.

Grammar: First Language Lessons 3

Writing: WTM style made by me, maybe dipping into Classical Writing's Aesop A by the end of the year

Penmanship: Classically Cursive

Spelling: Rod and Staff 3

Reading: Veritas Press literature

Latin: Latin for Children A, and probably into B (he'll be starting A in a few weeks)

Math: Rod and Staff 3, and into 4 (he'll start 3 in a month or so)

History: Veritas Press Explorers to 1815

Science: mostly library books and oodles of experiments, when those lag we pick up Apologia

He'll keep up with his SCM style memory box. My husband does Apologia's new series for Bible on weekends, and he takes care of music. Honor will also be a Bear in Cub Scouts.

I agree. LA and Math are crucial. However, if your dd's eyes glaze over with FLL, I can't imagine that both FLL and CLE will be necessary.

I say this as we are using level 1, which is highly repetitive. I've started skimming as she doesn't need THAT much review. She is, in fact, assisting her older siblings(12, 14 and 16) with deciphering their grammar :lol: They were in the public school system and haven't spent much time on grammar. So we'll see. If the pace picks up in the next levels then she'll be fine. She really liked it initially, but it is very repetitive. VERY thorough, but for her I can compress 4 or 5 lessons some days into one, do a review of it, and she retains it. So I need to assess the next level and go from there.

I started going through what we have from the elder daughter, what we'd purchased ahead of time.....

Here is what I have so far:

Math - Math Mammoth 3 got it

Bible - Positive Action curriculum, book 2 - 3. We have the 2nd

Science - Local space science center workshops that align with provincial curriculum, and library and what we have on hand for the rest of the topics. Done in just a short time :lol: for the year, which is good for a non science mom. Once a week. Will make note of the topics for grade 3, and book the workshops in August($8ea).

Social - SOTW - 2nd half of SOTW(don't have it yet.... does it every go on sale as a download?) as well as the board curriculum(will be sent to us in the summer $30), the CD's and activity guide, we usually do a coloring page and a craft.

LA - Using AAS 3-4ish depending on progress, CLE LA,

AAS 3- got it

WWE 2 - got it

FLL 2/3- got it

CLE - on its way

So even if we do FLL too, it still isn't all that much time for her.

Art -

Music - she will continue with Pianimals, got it

Health - love the school board curriculum.. best of all, it's free :) And it doesn't take alot of time :) Lots of cut and paste, posters to make. A little girls dream. 2 times a week. got it

So..... there it is. I know LA is maybe on the heavy side. But this is where we spend most of our time along with Math. Science, Art, Health, Social are covered so quickly, and are for spice and interest. LA and Math are crucial to learn. With those 2 skills, she'll be able to devour any other interest and there is no cap to her learning.

I think I've strayed from the Classical model from WTM being History heavy to Literature heavy.

So I have nearly everything I need! One thing yet to arrive, one to come from the school board. YES.... That makes fall SO much cheaper, and it's all here and ready if we want to start in the summer.... bored kids make motivated students..lol. So other than consumables, I'm looking at $30, and then the workshops. Science ones are $8, and the art ones are $9.

I'm sooo happy!

DD12 will be $200 for the curriculum from the school board, the same for dd14 is she stays home for grade 9. (still hoping, she hasn't made any decisions on a school yet).

I know dd7 and dd12 will be registered asap when it opens. DD14 might be a little late for registration if she stays home.... We'll see. I'll get the forms filled out and ready, then go from there.

Can't believe I'm ready for next year in so many ways!!! We still need to finish this year..lol

Its February and to beat the slump I am also planning next year.

Math----We are back to Saxon. I switched this year to MUS and supplemented with Math Mammoth. My son needs a spiral math program, and Math Mammoth wasn't clicking, because although I like the program I think it is harder to start mid stream. But is a great program if you start with it from the beginning.

Spelling---AAS. We LOVE this program. For us it isn't just about spelling, but also really kick started my son's reading ability and confidence. He GETS phonics now.

Grammar---Growing with Grammar. We used FLL for 1st and 2nd, but we are both done with it.

Reading----Lots of read alouds with written narrations, and assigned reading. I like the Evan Moor Read and understand literature selections.

Writing---Writing Strands

Science- Evan moor Read and understand Science 3rd grade and I expand it with more detailed experiments.

History- SOTW. We are beginning with Ancients because our cycle is different. This year we did a year long US history cycle.

Extras---Geography. Again Evan moor, and Scrambled States. I also have Dioramas, and different map making activites we will use.

Not sure whether I am going to begin a formal spanish program or not yet.

Art---Weekly class at the local Arts center, Children's theater, and field trips.

PE---falling over laughing. Football team in the Fall, Basketball in the Winter, Soccer in spring and swimming year round. (I insist on no organized sports in the summer, but we camp, fish, and ride bikes)

Still in the planning stages and unsure about some but this is what I'm thinking. I'm open to suggestions and thoughts! :)

Math: MM 2a/2b (still playing catch up from PS)

Grammar: MCT Island? WWE2, FLL3 , AAS 3-4 and ETC 6-8

Penmanship: A Reason for Handwriting C?? (cursive)

Bible: Apologia, "Who is God"?

Reading: Veritas Press list

History: SOTW3

Science: Finish Elemental Science then move to REAL Science Odessey

Geography: MFW ECC

Typing: Typing Instructor

Art: Artistic Pursuits or Atelier

Not sure if we are going to continue Latin.

Music: Violin

PE: Swim team

Logic: Logic Safari

3-4 hours a day, 4 days a week.