Menu

Homeschoolers in US?

How many homeschoolers are there in the US? DH thinks the number is "small". Given how many people I am running into that homeschool (and I had no idea), I think the number could be a healthy percentage of school-age kids (obviously the numbers are more than they used to be). :001_smile:

It would have to be an estimate, due to differing state requirements. There are states where you don't have to register at all, and ones like ours, where you register the school, not the number of students. We had 43,316 schools (not students) registered in 2009-2010. Compulsory education (and registration) is 7-16, so this doesn't include anyone who only has children under the age of 7. It is also legal here to school children from one other family along with your own, so that factors in as well (though I doubt it's a big percentage).

That is the oft quoted number, but no one knows. Some states can report accurately because they require hsers to register. But if there are hsers who don't register, they won't be included in the count. Other states count hsers along with private schools, so those numbers are very difficult to calculate accurately, and other states have no registration at all. So in reality, there is no actual count.