Menu

Long term plan with 4 children: MFW or HOD?

KeriJ

I have 4 children, all 2 years apart in age. My oldest will be in 3rd grade in the fall, and the next one will be in 1st. (I plan to have a 3 year gap before #3, so he won't be in K until the older two are in 5th and 3rd)

In the fall we plan to start either MFW Adventures or HOD for the oldest 2. I know I can't plan totally ahead because so many factors can come into play or change over the years. But my question is: which program would work better for combining children in the future? MFW where they would all be together at some point? or HOD where I would probably do at least 2 guides at a time?

For the record, I was planning on MFW, but got my HOD catalogue in the mail today. :001_smile:

I'd say HOD, because that is what I'm using and love it. I have 4 kids, and as of right now, am not combining any of them. We will see in a few years if I go loopy, but right now it is working great. Next year I will be doing Bigger, Beyond, and Little Hands. MFW is a great program too, so I do not think you can go wrong with either. The nice thing about HOD is that you are working to each kid at their level, and not tweaking a bunch to accommodate large age spans. My oldest will be in 6th grade before my youngest starts K, and I could never see trying to combine them. Also once you hit preparing HOD starts becoming more independent, so when I have 4 doing school my oldest will be very independent. HTH

KeriJ do you post on the MOPS forum also? My name is ChubbyCheeks there, but I have not posted in awhile.

:001_smile: Yes! :001_smile: Hi! I did notice I hadn't seen you on MOPS in awhile, but I haven't been there much lately either. Good to see you here!

You really can't go wrong with either. Both are solid programs. As for combining, it is certainly "easier" to combine using MFW. Advantages are you are only running one program at a time (unless you do MFW K or 1st with any of the youngers). However, it is not difficult to run more than one HOD program. AND, it seems like you might be able to combine at least 2 children in one guide. Advantages to using HOD is that ALL subjects are included in the manual AND as the guides progress, the independence of the child does as well. That frees you up to work with the youngers. I have used both and I lean more toward the HOD philosophy than MFW and enjoy having all subjects covered in the guides. However, I do also like MFW, esp, K. If I could combine my favorite aspects of both, I'd have the perfect curriculum! :D You might want to ask some questions on the HOD board as to combining and check the placement chart to see if combining would even be an option. With the extensions in the older guides (starting with Bigger), it is easier to combine. For example, I just had 3 in Preparing (7th, 5th and 4th) and 2 in LHFHG (K & 2nd). It is possible...just depends on what you want!