Menu

"Something came up"

Ds13 is friends with another 13 year old boy who likes to come over some weekends to play/hang out. Last weekend the boy asked if he could come over. I said "yes" and we set a mutually agreeable time. The boy never came over and my ds was pretty bummed, though he handled it ok. Late that night we got a e-mail from the boy that "something had come up. Could he come over another time?" I want to set some boundaries now so that this doesn't become a habit. I'm thinking that the next time he asks to come over, I'd just say "Sure, but if something comes up we'd appreciate a phone call or an e-mail letting us know." That's ok, right?

Ds13 is friends with another 13 year old boy who likes to come over some weekends to play/hang out. Last weekend the boy asked if he could come over. I said "yes" and we set a mutually agreeable time. The boy never came over and my ds was pretty bummed, though he handled it ok. Late that night we got a e-mail from the boy that "something had come up. Could he come over another time?" I want to set some boundaries now so that this doesn't become a habit. I'm thinking that the next time he asks to come over, I'd just say "Sure, but if something comes up we'd appreciate a phone call or an e-mail letting us know." That's ok, right?

Yes ma'am. Sounds good to me!

Yep.

I'd also say, that if it happens too many times, I'd let this friendship drift apart.

Yes, that is what I would do.

I find I end up educating other kids fairly regularly on basic etiquette. To be fair I guess their parents don't even know whats going on. One of my pet peeves is other kids phoning my kids and when I answer the phone they just ask "can I speak to .....?" without even telling me who they are. I just gently ask- "who is speaking, please? " Most of them learn after a time or two to tell me who they are when they phone.

Sounds like a very polite way to make your point.

Thank you. I don't know why I get so insecure about teen relationships. I think it's because it's a new stage in my parenting.

Starr - I don't know what came up. We haven't seen him all week so there was no opportunity for my ds to ask him.

Teen relationships can make the best of us insecure! :grouphug: