Menu

Would you eat this? (Please say no)

Guest RecumbentHeart
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/world/foodies-to-race-for-stallion-semen/story-e6frg6so-1226008164850

Are you kidding me?

And I know NZ isn't Australia, but wasn't is Rosie who thinks Americans are gross for eating pumpkin pie? LOL

If it was Rosie, I'm not sure what is up with her. As a fellow Australian I can assure the misguided dear that pumpkin pie is worth traveling the seas for. What I don't get is why Americans don't use pumpkin for anything else (besides jack-o-lanterns) :confused:

as for the link ... I refuse to click.:ack2:

If it was Rosie, I'm not sure what is up with her. As a fellow Australian I can assure the misguided dear that pumpkin pie is worth traveling the seas for. What I don't get is why Americans don't use pumpkin for anything else (besides jack-o-lanterns) :confused:

We like pumpkin soup and pumpkin muffins. I have five cans of pumpkin in my pantry. :lol:

One of my Aussie friends commented how they don't sell Thousand Island Dressing down there either...she says it would be a hit if they did (she loves it apparently).

I agree!

But yeah....you don't need to click the link. I assure you it's beyond disgusting.

A lot of the "foodie" restaurants around here use pumpkin in their dishes. The bakery has pumpkin bread, pumpkin muffins as well. I love me some punkin pie though. Yum. :D :drool5:

Guest RecumbentHeart

Y'all need to PM me pumpkin recipes or links to recipes. I need to be able to say I got them from Americans or my efforts to introduce more pumpkin to our lives will be written off as some foreign culinary quirk and suspiciously avoided.:glare:

(I'm ignoring the thread topic intentionally for the sake of my stomach)

Y'all need to PM me pumpkin recipes or links to recipes. I need to be able to say I got them from Americans or my efforts to introduce more pumpkin to our lives will be written off as some foreign culinary quirk and suspiciously avoided.:glare:

(I'm ignoring the thread topic intentionally for the sake of my stomach)

I just make pumpkin soup like I do butternut squash soup.

I chop it up toss with olive oil and roast it in the oven with a big yellow onion and a lot of chopped up rosemary. Once it is cooked I scoop the flesh out (it it kind of hard to peel raw and I am lazy)

I toss it in the blender with coconut milk (amount on how thick you want and depending on size of pumpkin/squash) blend it up and toss it in a pot. I cook it a bit longer and add salt/pepper if needed.

Guest RecumbentHeart
Oh, I use sugar pumpkins for all sorts of things. If a recipe calls for butternut or acorn squash, you can easily sub a cooking pumpkin.

Giant jack o lantern pumpkins are not sweet enough for cooking purposes.

This is good to know. I'm just learning about cooking and am soaking up as much info as I can. These details are awesome BUT .. where does one find a cooking pumpkin? The stores we frequent only sell pumpkin in cans unless it's Halloween. :glare: I would happily visit other stores if I knew they sold pumpkins though.

I just make pumpkin soup like I do butternut squash soup.

I chop it up toss with olive oil and roast it in the oven with a big yellow onion and a lot of chopped up rosemary. Once it is cooked I scoop the flesh out (it it kind of hard to peel raw and I am lazy)

I toss it in the blender with coconut milk (amount on how thick you want and depending on size of pumpkin/squash) blend it up and toss it in a pot. I cook it a bit longer and add salt/pepper if needed.

I will have to write this down so that I don't have to keep coming back to this thread as the ironic source of a good recipe. :lol:

Where do you find your pumpkins and where can one find coconut milk? Do regular stores sell that? (I feel like such a n00b, sorry lol)

Where do you find your pumpkins and where can one find coconut milk? Do regular stores sell that? (I feel like such a n00b, sorry lol)

Regular stores usually have coconut milk in cans by the asian food. You can use cream or milk instead, I use coconut milk due to allergies. I just use sugar pumpkins but pumpkin isn't in season atm.

Edited by Sis
typo

And I know NZ isn't Australia

Remember that...

Hey Keptwoman, this isn't the way to encourage Immigration to be nice to New Zealanders :lol:

Like I can trust you. You live in America! :glare::tongue_smilie::lol:

One of my Aussie friends commented how they don't sell Thousand Island Dressing down there either...she says it would be a hit if they did (she loves it apparently).

:confused: My mum used to buy it. What we don't have is pumpkin in tins :eek:

Rosie

Guest RecumbentHeart
Pumpkin desserts are my husband's favorite. If I want to be sweet to him any time of year other than fall then I have to buy pumpkin in the can. You can't find it out of season.

What is disturbing to me is that in past experience in my neck of the U.S. I can't even find it in cans year round.

I mentioned this to DH and he said well, of cause I wouldn't find the cans of pumpkin, it's not in season. :001_huh::glare:

yeah - unless you find them at a whole foods type store, pumpkin generally isn't carried in US stores except during the fall, because it's in season then (one of the few foods we don't ship from the other side of the world to have year'round.

Pumpkin in tins is about the only way to find it here, unless you look in my freezer and see the 50 bags of it I have frozen from the pumpkins I could get this fall LOL.

The states actually have had a shortage of pumpkin the last few years, and it's been hard to find canned pumpkin in a lot of places. When I mentioned it to my MIL last year, she found a case of it at Walmart, and bought the whole case to give me for my birthday LOL So I have a lot of canned pumpkin now, too!

And yes, some of us eat it in all sorts of stuff!!

Guest RecumbentHeart
Herm..I buy mine from Whole Foods and I didn't see it there. I boycott Nestle so I don't buy the Libby kind. I will double check next time I go.

Tangent from a tangent ... why the Nestle boycott?

Guest RecumbentHeart
I use applesauce or canned pumpkin in place of oil in baking recipes. Makes the Hershey's brownie mix extra yummy.

I hope you're not pulling my leg because I will totally try this.