Menu

SOTW with Kingfisher and Usborne?

aggie96

Did you use The Kingfisher Illustrated History of the World, The Kingfisher History Encyclopedia, The Usborne Book of World History, and The Usborne Internet-Linked Encyclopedia of World History for SOTW 1 and 2 (1st-2nd grade)?

Which one (or more) of these should I invest in for SOTW 1 for 1st grade?

TIA

For 1st grade, I'd use one of the Usborne titles (doesn't much matter which -- I use the old one because I inherited it). For 2nd grade, you could stick to Usborne, or add in Kingfisher for very strong students who are already reading well on their own. Otherwise, save Kingfisher for later on. I have both Kingfisher books and *slightly* prefer the old white one (Illustrated History), though some pages are identical. The new red one is easier to find, and it's perfectly adequate.

Hi

I bought the Kingfisher Illustrated one, the red one. I'm using it with SOTW 1 with a 3rd and 4th grader. It hasn't been an interesting reference for them. I try to pull it out at the end of each chapter, but I just read a few snippets to them and that's it. They don't care to look at the pictures, really. Hmm.

I had the red and the white Kingfishers, the older Usborne, and the DP one. (I just kept hoping for the 'best' one, and finding them used.)

Of those, by far the best was the white Kingfisher. The older Usborne had drawings, not photos. Both Kingfishers had photos as well as drawings. Since I primarily wanted to use these for illustration at that age, with the SOTW being the spine, I thought that the two Kingfishers were about the same in value, with the Usborne not as good but fine. I got the Dempsey Parr one fairly late, and never really used it very much.

The white Kingfisher really shone, though, for beginning outlining. It was the only book I owned that really served that purpose at all well. So I'm very glad that I kept on buying until I finally broke down and bought that one, despite some expense, as it was indespensible. They are cheaper, now, too, than they were when I was looking.

Edited by Carol in Cal.

I was wondering what you guys think of this. I purchased 2008 version of Encyclopedia Brittanica on CD for kids for 1.00 last year. It has quite a few interesting things. I have not had the chance to really review it. but I was wondering should I use the resource I already have or should I purchase the Usborne and Kingfisher encyclopedias.

I was wondering what you guys think of this. I purchased 2008 version of Encyclopedia Brittanica on CD for kids for 1.00 last year. It has quite a few interesting things. I have not had the chance to really review it. but I was wondering should I use the resource I already have or should I purchase the Usborne and Kingfisher encyclopedias.

Oooh. Where'd you find that, if you don't mind me asking? My boys would eat that up. Combining their two favorite things - computers and encyclopedias. LOL

We like the Usborne for 1st grade. I remember my dd as a pretty new reader latching right on to that book...I have pictures of her reading it first thing in the morning in her pajamas just for fun reading. We're using Kingfisher now in logic stage (found it cheap at Costco) and we may start using the DK Definitive History (found it cheap at Borders).