Menu

Where the Brook and River Meet: Anne of Green Gables study

I have only thought about using it. It looks wonderful. But I'd be interested to know how it handles religion because I think that is part of the course.

I'm posting because you haven't gotten any other responses, but I have not actually used the study -- though I have looked at reviews and samples. Here is what I've concluded, for what it's worth.

From the samples I have seen, the religious views of L.M. Montgomery and influences apparent in Anne of Green Gables are thoroughly studied and discussed from a Christian perspective. I believe you study the beliefs of the various religious views and then compare to Christianity and what the Bible has to say about them. If you can get a copy of the Annotated Anne and read the intro you will get a good idea of what would be included. Our library has it. It does a nice job of examining the many ideas that influenced L.M.M. It makes you look at the book in an entirely different way.

As far as using it with a middle schooler, I think it is doable. A family I know is using it with an 8th grader. The mother did say she adjusts some of the assignments. They also participate in a group that is using it. Each girl in the group takes one of the assignments and comes back to the group to report on it during class time. She said that helps to lighten the load. I'm not sure I would want to use it that way b/c I think DD would not be interacting with the info enough to be truly learning it. It's also such a personal study, I would want to use it to bond with DD and develop our relationship. It looks like a very rich study. I am considering it for 8th grade and I would just eliminate whatever else I need to to make it possible for us.

I think it could be used for an older middle schooler, but it is probably too much for 6th, unless you want to cut out a lot of the (very worthwhile IMO) material.

Shannon

I'm posting because you haven't gotten any other responses, but I have not actually used the study -- though I have looked at reviews and samples. Here is what I've concluded, for what it's worth.

From the samples I have seen, the religious views of L.M. Montgomery and influences apparent in Anne of Green Gables are thoroughly studied and discussed from a Christian perspective. I believe you study the beliefs of the various religious views and then compare to Christianity and what the Bible has to say about them. If you can get a copy of the Annotated Anne and read the intro you will get a good idea of what would be included. Our library has it. It does a nice job of examining the many ideas that influenced L.M.M. It makes you look at the book in an entirely different way.

As far as using it with a middle schooler, I think it is doable. A family I know is using it with an 8th grader. The mother did say she adjusts some of the assignments. They also participate in a group that is using it. Each girl in the group takes one of the assignments and comes back to the group to report on it during class time. She said that helps to lighten the load. I'm not sure I would want to use it that way b/c I think DD would not be interacting with the info enough to be truly learning it. It's also such a personal study, I would want to use it to bond with DD and develop our relationship. It looks like a very rich study. I am considering it for 8th grade and I would just eliminate whatever else I need to to make it possible for us.

I think it could be used for an older middle schooler, but it is probably too much for 6th, unless you want to cut out a lot of the (very worthwhile IMO) material.

Shannon

Thank you for replying, Shannon. I am considering it for my dd for 7th grader next yr. She is advanced and could easily have been in 7th or 8th this yr, so I think maturity-wise it will be ok.

We are just about finished Further Up Further In. (just a few more chpts in The Last Battle.) I have enjoyed using it with her, but I have changed the program a lot. I see things in the stories as a Catholic that are completely overlooked by the authors of FUFI. Lewis wasn't Catholic, but he was definitely intimate with Catholicism. Really obvious things like Peter being the High King and sitting on the throne are never mentioned in FUFI. I think that FUFI is missing a lot that could be in there and has way too much time dedicated to scripture memorization at the expense of literary discussion.

Anyway, that is just to say that I feel comfortable dealing w/whatever Christian perspective is presented and altering it.

I am not comfortable taking this approach for high school though. :tongue_smilie: I feel more freedom tweaking a unit study approach when I am not trying to count it as high school credit. I am hoping that since they say you can give high school credits that is has more content info and less of a bible focus. Do you know how much of each lesson is strictly bible focused?

Dd really enjoys the books, so I am hoping it might be a good fit for her b/c I will have a senior next yr and I will be doing a lot of transcript/app work and will have less time for planning.

Thank you for replying, Shannon. I am considering it for my dd for 7th grader next yr. She is advanced and could easily have been in 7th or 8th this yr, so I think maturity-wise it will be ok.

Anyway, that is just to say that I feel comfortable dealing w/whatever Christian perspective is presented and altering it.

I am not comfortable taking this approach for high school though. :tongue_smilie: I feel more freedom tweaking a unit study approach when I am not trying to count it as high school credit. I am hoping that since they say you can give high school credits that is has more content info and less of a bible focus.

:iagree:I feel the same way, which is why I'm thinking 7-8th instead of high school. I have a long wait since DD is only in 3rd right now.

Do you know how much of each lesson is strictly bible focused?

I'm not sure.

Also, thanks for the info about Further Up, it will make me take a harder look at Brook & River once I'm ready.

Shannon

• 2 months later...

As of now, I am planning on using it. As far as Catholicsm, thre is one chapter that assigns the student to research the history of Catholicism and Protestantism and write about the differences and similiarities between the two and describe church hierarchy of both. It also suggests that you attend a Catholic service if you are Protestant and vice versa.

We just received this in the mail for my dd who will be in 8th grade next year. It looks great and she can't wait to get started. I may actually assign her some HS credits if she works real hard and at HS level.

I'm glad to know there are others out there using it for MS :001_smile:

We just received this in the mail for my dd who will be in 8th grade next year. It looks great and she can't wait to get started. I may actually assign her some HS credits if she works real hard and at HS level.

I'm glad to know there are others out there using it for MS :001_smile:

I always planned on using it with my oldest dd. But I don’t think she wants anything to do with it.

Perhaps my younger dd will, when the time comes. So I am very interested in this thread and it’s good to see that people are actually using it. I haven’t heard much about it!

I'm planning to use this with my high schooler next year... not sure yet if my 7th grader will participate, but I'm sure she'll do at least some of it with her sister. In fact, I imagine my 3rd grader will be listening in and wanting to do some of the projects, too.

I'll be adding more in Economics to make it a full half-credit for my high schooler, but otherwise, I expect that we'll do it as written.

From the FAQ page:

My daughter is ten years old and loves Anne of Green Gables. Would this study work for us?

Where the Brook and River Meet is intended for junior high and high school students. The mean age for students using WBRM is 15.5 years old. Although a ten-year-old can understand the plot of Anne of Green Gables they are not ready for the critical thinking this study offers.

Can you show me a break down of possible high school credits to be earned for the updated "Where the Brook and River Meet"?

Here is the list of credits:

• Literature 1.0
  • Social Studies 1.0
  • Bible & Character 1.0
  • Physical Education .5
  • Health .5
  • Occupational Education .5
  • Fine Arts .25
  • Economics .25
  • Total credits: 5.0

I always planned on using it with my oldest dd. But I don’t think she wants anything to do with it.

Perhaps my younger dd will, when the time comes. So I am very interested in this thread and it’s good to see that people are actually using it. I haven’t heard much about it!

I think that this type of study is for a certain type of girl. I could see how it wouldn't be for everyone and could be disastrous for the wrong girl. I have four girls and would be thrilled if they all wanted to use it but wouldn't get too upset if it didn't appeal to them. If Where the Brook and River Meet is a hit with my dd next year we may try Far Above Rubies for HS. :001_smile: