Menu

Please pray for Tina's baby...

:grouphug:Tina, Ava, and family:grouphug:

Fortunately, viral meningitis is the "good" one to get, compared to bacterial meningitis (which I hope comes back negative!)

We just went through the same thing when my 9wk old was 3.5 weeks. Sending lots and lots of healthy thoughts!!!!

(And hoping Tina is taking good care of herself, too!)

just got this update

Update on Tina and Ava from Tina's Sister. The illness will have to run it's course but at least they can recover at Home.

Michelle

>

> I am so grateful for our Lord, who knows our needs, who says to cast our cares

> upon him, because he cares for us, who promises to never leave us or forsake

> us. I am grateful for all of you who have prayed for Ava, my sister, Tina, and

> her family. Late yesterday afternoon they were able to take Ava home from the

> hospital. Thank you, Lord! Please continue to cover them with your

> prayers.

>

> Sheila

> "The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make his face shine upon you and be

> gracious to you; the Lord turn his face toward you and give you peace."

>

> Numbers 6:24-26

Awww. . .I'm sitting here with tears in my eyes :crying: I can't tell you how much it meant to me to come here tonight and see this thread and to know that so many prayers are going up for baby Ava.

Ava went for a checkup last Friday and had jaundice, so she spent some time at home under phototherapy. Her levels went down, and we discontinued that. Then on Monday (Valentine's), she was very lethargic and not nursing more than a minute or two . . .by the time my dh got home from work, she could not be roused or awakened no matter what we tried.

I called the nurse on call at our pediatrician's office (quite frantic by this point) and was instructed to take her to the ER. The nurse called to let them know we were on our way and they took Ava straight back to the trauma room and immediately started an IV and began assessing her and running various tests (CT, Chest x-ray, spinal tap, labs, blood & urine cultures, etc.) During this time of waiting and testing, she was still basically unresponsive (even with all the needle sticks) and began to have brief moments where she would stop breathing.

Ava was moved to PICU around 3:30 am. PICU took very good care of her, watched her diligently, and kept her on IV fluids, as they began an aggresive course of treatment to cover all realms of potentially dangerous issues. (As it was explained to us, they don't wait for the cultures and all the labs to come back because so many things can go from bad to worse very quickly with infants and little ones)

Early results ruled out Influenza A, Influenza B, RSV, Group B Strep, Herpes, and many other viruses, but still no answers. . .so. . .as it sometimes works in medicine. . .by process of elmination, consideration of symptoms, and a slightly elevated WBC in her CSF, they suspected that she could possibly have meningitis of some type.

We continued to wait for the cultures to grow and other tests results to come in, and one by one, they worst of the worst possibilities and all other tests that were done came back negative. Cultures (urine, blood, CSF) grew nothing.

Thus, viral menigitis was determined to be the culprit.

Over the few days of our stay she continued to have periods where she was difficult to rouse and feed, but her breathing steadied and remained so, her color began to look better, and she began to wake up more on her own for feedings. PTL!

Getting her to nurse and stay awake for nursing was still proving a challenge, but she is making progress.

We came home from the hospital last evening and are continuing to care for her. . .covering her with kisses and prayers and waking and ensuring that she continues to nurse regularly :hurray:

God bless each of you who have prayed for baby Ava and our family!

(And hoping Tina is taking good care of herself, too!)

I had to giggle at this. . .and while this is probably too much information. . .here's a hint. . .we went in Monday evening and as stress can sometimes make you forget about the "little things". . .by the time Thursday rolled around and it finally occurred to me to get in the shower, I realized I had not taken my shoes off since we arrived!

I told the kiddo's that Mommy's shoes are now a science experiment, as I'm sure there is something growing in them! :D

Okay, I need to get some sleep in now. Thanks again for all the group hugs and prayers! It blessed me tremendously to read this thread tonight. :grouphug:

P.S. I will try to get some pics on my blog sometime this weekend!

A friend of Tina's posted on the Heart of Reading group that Baby Ava has been admitted to the hospital and they think she has viral meningitis. Please pray for Ava and Tina.

LizzyBee,

Thank you so much for sharing this and requesting prayers for our baby and family. I appreciate that so much! :grouphug:

I had to giggle at this. . .and while this is probably too much information. . .here's a hint. . .we went in Monday evening and as stress can sometimes make you forget about the "little things". . .by the time Thursday rolled around and it finally occurred to me to get in the shower, I realized I had not taken my shoes off since we arrived!

Lol!

You do forget. When Sebastian was in, I pretty much never moved beyond the iv line's length. The nurses reminded me to use the bathroom while they did vitals an whatnot, and I handed him to dh once a day while I took a 5 minute walk. Coming home, my body had never been so sore and out of wack. Not even after delivery!

I'm so glad to hear Ava's doing better. I'm very sorry you all had to go through that scary ordeal! :grouphug: