Menu

Sign Language resources needed

mominbc

For vocab, she can look up free online dictionaries. For grammar, well, that's a bit trickier. If there is anything available in the library, watch it. Eventually, though, she'll need a class. Look for words like "grammar" and "classifiers." No beginner believes it, but classifiers really are more important than vocab. ;) The other thing to do once she starts learning grammar, is to avoid speaking and signing at the same time. You can't use two grammar systems at the same time. No beginner believes that speak signing impairs their learning, but it does. It facilitates communication, definitely, but it hampers learning.

Rosie

http://www.signingonline.com is a web-based course in ASL (I assume that's the sign language your daughter is interested in learning.)

The Bravo Family is a (pretty old) video series that's almost immersion. The learner follows the life of a Deaf family, learning ASL along the way. The outfits are pretty comical at this point, but the ASL is awesome.

Books... Learning American Sign Language by Humphries et al and Fant's American Sign Language Phrase Book are two good sources.

A fluent tutor (make sure they know ASL and not a pidgin or English-on-the-hands) or following a Deaf vlog would be good practice, too.

We have enjoyed borrowing the Signing Time dvds from the library. We started using them when our 2nd son was two years old and still not speaking. It was very helpful for the older kids, Daddy and I to communicate with him. My kids are now 9 and 7 and still enjoy watching the shows. It is mostly vocabulary, though. We are not able to carry on a conversation with each other. Might be a good place to start or as an extra fun thing to watch. All of the signs are set to fun songs that are very memorable.

We used several of the resources available through Timberdoodle. We learned how to sign songs and "say" simple sentences, sign simple, useful things like, "toilet" and "hungry" etc. The older 2 really took off with signing when they joined a group at a local church, led by a deaf man, teaching translation. Anyone could join. Becasue of the contacts through this man, my oldest joined a deaf Bible Study, made several deaf friends, and became fluent in ASL.

I'd check out local deaf schools, or area churches to see if you can find a deaf ministry and if there is someone there who can work with you.

We "knew" a lot of signs before having the opportunity to talk in sign, but SL, like any languagae, is very fluid and we really came to understand just have fluid it is by communicating with "native" signers. Many of the signs in our dictionary weren't current, have evolved, etc.

Fyi:you probably already know that are a lot of different standardized sign languages throughout America and the world.