Menu

Would you buy your child a cheap eReader?

I would like to buy the Sony eReader for myself but am holding out because I've learned that they should be releasing a WI-FI model in the next few months. Thing is, I'd like to take advantage of the promotion at Yesterday's Classics and pick up their listing of eBooks for $99 (only on until tomorrow).

So, I thought I'd pick up a cheap eReader for my kids to share (oldest LOVES to read anyways). Part of me would like to just buy them a Kindle but I don't want to be buying books in two formats right now so need something with ePub capabilities.

Thing is, I don't want to spend too much money for something for the kids... is this terrible of me? :tongue_smilie: One eReader I was looking at was the 6" Pandigital which comes with dictionary and touch screen (I like touch screen) but I've also seen a more basic model for real cheap that doesn't have a dictionary or touch screen- just a no-frills eReader. Neither is especially fast (not like the Kindle or Sony, which are the fastest, according to reviews and my own experience in the stores with them) but I don't think my kids would mind... would they?

Do you all figure it's okay to go cheap on a device for the kids or will I regret this in the long run?

Do you like having the dictionary option for your kids or prefer to have them look up any words they need to on their own?

You do not need the ereader to take advantage of their offer.

They are sending you files that you will download to your hard drive. You need to then manually move/copy them to your ereader.

If you need to wait a few months for the reader go ahead. The files sit resident on your hard drive until then.

You can also read the kindle files on your computer using Amazons free kindle app/program. A couple of the bonus books/files are pdfs. Do note that the books cannot be read by Kindle for iPhone or iPad-you need to get the ePub versions for those. If you plan on using a Sony device you will want the ePub versions and I hear there are reader programs you can get for the computer. They company may even give you both sets of files if you explain your use of different versions.

Kindle for PC link

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_200127470_ksupport_PC?nodeId=200388510

Kindle for Mac link

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_200127470_ksupport_mac?nodeId=200438360

Edited by JumpedIntoTheDeepEndFirst

Do you like having the dictionary option for your kids or prefer to have them look up any words they need to on their own?

The dictionary option takes away all excuses that help avoid looking up words.

I would even get lazy about getting up to find the dictionary, but having the dictionary feature on my Nook llows me to find it quickly and get right back to the book.

I think it's definitely a worthwhile feature.

See if you can still pick up an older model Sony Reader. The PRS-300's are usually less than $100, or they were a month ago. That's the reader one of my sons has and he's completely happy with it. I wouldn't recommend a 600 though, since the older touch screens had some glare.

I'd rather go with a tried-and-true older model than one of the cheaper newer models. A Kobo might be a good option, though.

I don't think either of my sons have ever used the dictionary on his reader.

The dictionary option takes away all excuses that help avoid looking up words.

I would even get lazy about getting up to find the dictionary, but having the dictionary feature on my Nook llows me to find it quickly and get right back to the book.

I think it's definitely a worthwhile feature.

Yes, I would not give up the dictionary. All of us look up words on the e-reader; none of us look up words with a paper book.

For an e-reader, I'd go with a nicer model. If it's slow and/or awkward to use, it simply won't get used, and cheap doesn't matter.

We're planning to figure out some sort of inexpensive ereader for DS when he's reading a bit better. There are so many free classics (including series he's already into from read-alouds or LibriVox), things that are downloadable from the library, and so forth. It will let us stretch a bit longer between library trips.