Menu

Off history rotation-can I combine 2 years?

whitestavern

I have a dd10 and ds8. We are currently doing SOTW4. We are off a year on our history rotation because each volume of SOTW has taken us more than one year to do. I'm not sure what we'll be using for our second cycle (I'm thinking of SOTW1 for ancients because we never used that the first go around). Anyway, here's my question: I know I will not be hsing dc for high school so I'd like to complete a 4 year history rotation in 3 years. Which 2 years do you think are easiest to combine into one? Are there any history curricula out there (preferably secular) that do a 3 year rotation? Or 2 year if I end up using SOTW1? TIA for any input/suggestions!

I might suggest that instead of cramming two years into one, get all four volumes of SOTW and plan out a three year trip through them, combining short chapters, etc.

When ds hits 6th-8th grades, I plan to do a three year overview of world history using a combination of resources, including Gombrich's Little History of the World as a spine... I think - things may change! We'll also read The Story of Science and ds will probably read through our collection of Horrible Histories. That will get us in a good place for the high school years!

Another thing you might want to look into is Oak Meadow. Their 6th-7th grade histories cover a lot of world history: 6th is Ancient through Medieval and 7th continues up to the 20th century.

Edited by momto2Cs

I have had (or will have) similar issues, and my plan is to have dd go through Ancients, then Middle Ages, Renn, Ref., then one year in-depth American History, maybe with Sonlight or Notgrass, for 8th. Then she would start back ancients in 9th. One reason for combining the last two and adding the American focus is because 5th grade was a very in depth year of modern history and she retained quite a bit.