Menu

Can anyone explain to me the major differences betwenn TOG old and revised

I have the old TOG 1 and 2 from a friend. She really liked it so passed it to me. I know they have a newer revised edition out.

Are the differences drastic enough to warrant buying the newer version?

Can you explain the differences in the two versions?

I also had an old version passed on to me, and after comparing it with my revised edition.....I'm all for the revised. It keeps the same things that the classic had going for it, but is laid out in a much more user friendly way - and anything that makes it easier and faster for me to use is great! Even with the revised version, there is a pretty steep learning curve, but once you get past that it's super simple to implement and the kids get an excellent education.

We are getting ready to begin year #5 with TOG. I have used all 4 year plans in Classic, and I would happily continue using classic for year 1 again next year. However, I am switching to the Redesigned because the co-op group I'm in is using it.

Some of the main differences are:

Redesigned is color coded so it is easier to concentrate on just the pages that apply to your students and ignore the pages you don't need.

Several of the books listed in Classic are now out of print, so the Redesigned books would be easier to find, esp. if you are planning to purchase books.

TOG carries all the books they use on their storefront, called the Bookshelf. They are pretty competitive in their pricing, so you can do one-stop shopping if you want.

The answers to the discussion questions are easier to find in the Teacher notes. In fact, in Classic there were no answers for the Dialectic discussion questions -- only Rhetoric -- so that in itself will be worth volumes to me!

Redesigned has the writing assignments written directly in each week plan, rather than in a separate section as in Classic.

These are some of the main differences. Like I said, I would be happy to keep on with Classic -- it is an excellent program. But you may find the differences are worth the expense of trading up! :lol:

I have the old TOG 1 and 2 from a friend. She really liked it so passed it to me. I know they have a newer revised edition out.

Are the differences drastic enough to warrant buying the newer version?

Can you explain the differences in the two versions?

Here's something from TOG that explains the two:

http://www.tapestryofgrace.com/tog_fast/FAQ/classic-redes.htm

hope that helps! :)