Menu

I need a hobby. Any suggestions?

you could always take up guitar. :D

Oh, that would be hilarious! I'm not musical at all and can't even remember the notes on the scale. Is that what that bar thingy is called? See? Not musical. :lol:

OH OH! I do have a kazoo here! Anyone can play the kazoo, right? :lol:

Oh, that would be hilarious! I'm not musical at all and can't even remember the notes on the scale. Is that what that bar thingy is called? See? Not musical. :lol:

OH OH! I do have a kazoo here! Anyone can play the kazoo, right? :lol:

Well, bass guitar then. :D hehehe

Seriously though, if you can move your hands you can learn to play an instrument. You may not be the best in the world, but you can certainly learn the mechanics enough to enjoy playing some songs. :)

I made a decision years ago that any "hobby" I would have at this point in my life would be a physically active one. I hike, bike, farm and ride horses. If I didn't do those things, these are the things I would take up. I figure being active will help keep me healthy longer. I have no time in my life for any other hobbies. I fall into bed tired and satisfied. If I had extra time, I would clean my house. :lol: When I am older and can no longer be physically active, I will take up scrapbooking or any other such sitting around hobby, but not now.

(I can say this because I am NOT artistic or musical. I have no need to create anything as many people do. I certainly understand others who choose artistic hobbies. Not bashing them here. It's just not for me right now in my life.)

Well, bass guitar then. :D hehehe

Seriously though, if you can move your hands you can learn to play an instrument. You may not be the best in the world, but you can certainly learn the mechanics enough to enjoy playing some songs. :)

I just tried the kazoo and am happy to report that I'm a Little Teapot was somewhat recognizable. My dh begged me to stop. :lol:

I made a decision years ago that any "hobby" I would have at this point in my life would be a physically active one. I hike, bike, farm and ride horses. If I didn't do those things, these are the things I would take up. I figure being active will help keep me healthy longer. I have no time in my life for any other hobbies. I fall into bed tired and satisfied. If I had extra time, I would clean my house. :lol: When I am older and can no longer be physically active, I will take up scrapbooking or any other such sitting around hobby, but not now.

(I can say this because I am NOT artistic or musical. I have no need to create anything as many people do. I certainly understand others who choose artistic hobbies. Not bashing them here. It's just not for me right now in my life.)

I hear ya. I would love to do those things. I think I'd have to move further south... can I come visit? ;) I think I should go to the rec centre more and swim. I did this weekly from Sept-Dec and now it's every other week. Oh, better yet, I should ask dh if he would get me an indoor pool. I know the answer will be no, but at least then a monthly membership at the pool would be more palatable. :tongue_smilie:

Just today I was wishing I had 'something' that I could really throw myself into...something that didn't involve any other people. My 'hobby' is volunteer work and I am completely exhausted from dealing with others.

I hope you find something wonderful!

YES!!! Yes, alone is nice. Alone and doing something. hmmm....

What did you like to do growing up but never pursued?

Drawing? Painting? Ice skating? Flower arranging?

Writing. I've been published a few times, just poetry or short stories. But writing is weird for me. I have to be inspired. I haven't been inspired in a few years, so there's no desire.

I think I had low ambitions as a kid. I remember telling someone that when I grew up I wanted to be warm and sleep a lot. :lol: I'm always cold and love a nap!

As an adult I've always loved quilts. I love the look of them. Helped my Nan make a few squares many moons ago, but I've never made one. I don't have the tools. I wonder how hard that is to do?

I just tried the kazoo and am happy to report that I'm a Little Teapot was somewhat recognizable. My dh begged me to stop. :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

I hear ya. I would love to do those things. I think I'd have to move further south... can I come visit? ;) I think I should go to the rec centre more and swim. I did this weekly from Sept-Dec and now it's every other week. Oh, better yet, I should ask dh if he would get me an indoor pool. I know the answer will be no, but at least then a monthly membership at the pool would be more palatable. :tongue_smilie:

You're always welcome to visit me, Karyn. I have a pool and the beach nearby. :)

YES!!! Yes, alone is nice. Alone and doing something. hmmm....

What about starting a garden? That is so soothing and you get the added benefit of bringing whatever you grow into your house whether flowers, herbs, veggies whatever. Or going for nature walks or something. I know in Canada in winter it has to be hard to do these things, but it won't be winter forever.

You're always welcome to visit me, Karyn. I have a pool and the beach nearby. :)

DO NOT TEASE ME GIRLFRIEND! :lol:

What about starting a garden? That is so soothing and you get the added benefit of bringing whatever you grow into your house whether flowers, herbs, veggies whatever. Or going for nature walks or something. I know in Canada in winter it has to be hard to do these things, but it won't be winter forever.

Canada? Oh no, it's Narnia. It's like winter forever. Last August it snew here! Yes, snew. If the past tense of blow is blew, then snow is snew. Yes, it snew about 4-5 times in August! That's just wrong.

Boo hoo.

I'll be saving airmiles. :D

Canada? Oh no, it's Narnia. It's like winter forever. Last August it snew here! Yes, snew. If the past tense of blow is blew, then snow is snew. Yes, it snew about 4-5 times in August! That's just wrong.

Boo hoo.

I'll be saving airmiles. :D

Who is teasing?? You'd feel right at home actually. My beach is full of Canadians right now. :D hehehe

Yikes Narnia! Always winter and never Christmas. That is just wrong.:glare: Never snows here. Never seen the stuff in real life. I hear it's cold. :D

I am researching our side of town (the Fox River bisects it) since I am curious. I started just trying to research our 1906 house, then the block, then the neighborhood (we had a 1920 tornado plow through here - gee, which houses had to be rebuilt?) then it just expanded to the entire west side of Elgin. :-)

http://www.historicmapworks.com/Search/city.php?query=elgin&State=IL&x=20&y=7

You can look up most any town/city here - I am looking at maps of the area over a hundred years old now!

As an adult I've always loved quilts. I love the look of them. Helped my Nan make a few squares many moons ago, but I've never made one. I don't have the tools. I wonder how hard that is to do?

You should totally try quilting! It can be very easy or very hard, very traditional (i.e. following patterns from 100 years ago) or very creative (just sewing fabric together any which way you feel like). You can use a sewing machine or do it all by hand. I just went to a retreat where I met a woman who only does hand piecing and hand quilting. No machine at all!

The tools that are must haves are a rotary cutter and mat, scissors, and a needle and thread. Of course, having a sewing machine is helpful too. Anything else you can buy as you go along. I just bought an acrylic square and a triangle tool this month to make things go faster.

I find hand quilting to be so relaxing, but I machine quilt too. I'm a bit of a fabric junkie so it helps that I have little bits of all kinds of fabrics that I've found to cool to pass up over the years too.

Right now I'm working on an full size airplane quilt for my son, I just finished a throw size fish quilt for my nephew, and I just bought these fabrics to make a fairy tale quilt for my daughter. I am chomping at the bit for those ones to come in the mail!

I LOVE quilting. I have to admit, I am somewhat of a fabric junkie too. Right now I am making baby quilts or lap quilt, though I have no idea why no babies here. There are some great charities that you can quilt for as well, I belong to our local Quilts For Kids. If you are leaning towards quilting look for a quilt shop close by they are bound to have tons of info on guilds, groups and classes. The great thing about quilting for me is even my mess ups look good. Have fun choosing there are many.:001_smile::001_smile::001_smile:

Cake decorating? I took the Wilton courses at Michaels a few years ago with a friend and I've been learning new things ever since. Once you get the basics, you can learn most anything else on the net. I only make them for fun and an outlet for creative expression. There are a lot of bakers (all experience ranges) on Cakecentral.com which is a free site for learning and sharing.

I'd like to do something but I don't know what. I already do stained glass. I used to crochet. Don't want to get into scrapbooking. What do you do? What do you want to do? What do you wish your MIL did in order for you to get cool Christmas prezzies?

Two thoughts:

1. Why did you stop? Crochet is inexpensive, relaxing (mostly), portable and solitary. Maybe you could consider it again?

2. If you stopped because you ran out of your own "need" for crocheted items, would you consider making them to donate? This would be like volunteering to help others, but on your own time, your own terms. You could crochet baby blankets or clothes for a crisis pregnancy center, scarves and hats for the homeless, lap blankets for nursing homes, or even just squares for a group to put together (and send to Afghanistan or Haiti or wherever).

HTH.

Edited by Sahamamama

Never had a hobby until I hit my mid-30s. Tok up both knitting and crochet within two months of each other and rarely a day goes by that I don't spend at least an hour doing one or the other. I love it because it's 100% portable. I never leave home without it :D

This is an expensive hobby (or can be) but you will have something beautiful to wear (or sell) when you are done:

http://urbanmaille.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=18

There are cheaper ways to get into chain maille jewelry, but the kits from here are put together well and easy to understand for a beginner. I started doing my first kit before we moved, but it got packed and lost. I just found it yesterday, yay!! In those two years my eyesight has changed and I need to get one of those big magnifiers. The joys of getting older...:glare:

My best friend does tole painting for fun and pay. She started out doing Donna Dewberry One Stroke by taking classes at Michaels, and then branched out. It amazes me when I see her work because she was extremely unartistic!

One thing I would love to do someday is to build a dollhouse and furnish it with all those beautiful miniatures. I wish I had a daughter to do this for, but perhaps I'll have grandchildren someday in the far future.:001_smile:

I'd like to do something but I don't know what. I already do stained glass. I used to crochet. Don't want to get into scrapbooking. What do you do? What do you want to do? What do you wish your MIL did in order for you to get cool Christmas prezzies?

My hobbies:

Quilting- I took this up about 5 years ago. I love it, but it does cost money to buy fabric, and there is always fabric that will catch your eye, so BEWARE!

If you are at all interested in this, you might look at Flickr for an online quilting bee to join. This gives you the opportunity to try a variety of quilt blocks without committing to making an entire quilt for each one.

Genealogy - Just go spend 5 minutes on Ancestry.com and you'll be hooked. I have found a governor of North Carolina and several signers of the supposed Mecklenburg Declaration of Independence, some civil war soldiers, a revolutionary war soldier, and a Scotish participant in the Plantation of Ireland in 1609 in my lineage. I've also been researching my husband's side which is so different - almost all of his family came here through Ellis Island around 1900. We found his grandparents village in Italy and have connected with several distant family members across the country.

Real Estate - I'm getting my real estate license, and Bud and I are looking at buying, fixin-up and either reselling or leasing houses.

Have fun!

I don't know if it qualifies as a hobby but I've taken up baking.

Sure, I can do the basics but most of my baking experience begins with a mix ;) I'm trying to bake my way through a baking cookbook and see what I can learn along the way.

Maybe you'd be interested in some type of cooking????

how about naalbinding? I've only recently discovered that, but it seems to be easy enough and it looks cool. Makes warm socks and mitts and hats.

Tatting? If I can figure out where I hid my shuttles I'm going to take that up again.

Doll and toy making? I love homemade toys. More than my kids do, probably :D

Things I've enjoyed: woodcarving, quilting (I've just done small wall-hanging kinds of things; easier for me to finish!!!!), pencil drawing (REALLY FUN & SIMPLE SUPPLIES), gardening, knitting... too many interesting things out there. Right now the only extra I'm doing is pencil drawing. I get together with friends one night a week and we draw. It's so fun and relaxing!!!!! :)