Menu

For MFW users: Do you count more than one year of Bible as a credit?

As I lean more strongly toward using MFW for high school, I have a question. Do you count Bible as a credit all four years? Seems like secular universities might not "count" that as valid, but if it really takes an hour a day, it seems like he should get credit for it.

Any thoughts or experiences?

Wendi

I'm not there yet as we're only in AHL with 9th grade.

But I do have a friend who piloted MFW. His son is attending a secular university and they treated it as Bible and Philosophy, called it electives and it really wasn't a problem.

My umbrella school counts Bible, religious studies, as elective courses.

Lots of private, religious brick and mortar high school exist and those students will also have Bible, religious studies on their transcripts and attend secular universities. I don't think it is a problem. And there will be students at Christian colleges who were public schooled and have no Bible on transcript.

-crystal

If you want, you can name each of the 4 credits more specifically. So for year 1, you could name the course Bible- Old Testament, Old Testament survey, Old Testament as literature, historical Old Testament, etc. "Survey" is the one that I hear most often, although somehow it doesn't sound like you read every word in a "survey"?? There's also the old standby, Bible 9 (for 9th grade). I'm sure some more interesting names could be found by searching online :)

Julie

If you want, you can name each of the 4 credits more specifically. So for year 1, you could name the course Bible- Old Testament, Old Testament survey, Old Testament as literature, historical Old Testament, etc. "Survey" is the one that I hear most often, although somehow it doesn't sound like you read every word in a "survey"?? There's also the old standby, Bible 9 (for 9th grade). I'm sure some more interesting names could be found by searching online :)

Julie

This is what we're doing... calling it Old Testament Survey and New Testament Survey. Not sure yet how I'm going to name it for years 3 and 4, but I asked dh if they read every word of the OT when he did it in Bible college, and he said he believes they did, as he remembers them going book-by-book.

This is what we're doing... calling it Old Testament Survey and New Testament Survey. Not sure yet how I'm going to name it for years 3 and 4, but I asked dh if they read every word of the OT when he did it in Bible college, and he said he believes they did, as he remembers them going book-by-book.

Good to know about the "survey" part.

For the other years, maybe I'll just use the MFW names:

http://www.mfwbooks.com/inc/pdf/HS_Course_of_Study.pdf

One other thing on Bible sequence (in addition to the titles on the planning guide)...

in case any one needs course overview descriptions, they have that on the website too. I know my umbrella school likes us to submit a quick description of a course, so this is helpful to me. maybe others. I'll probably change the titles of the Bible section to be the same as the planning guide that Julie linked to.

I can't do a direct link for some reason today.. but

go to home page

click on About

scroll to Bible Intergration

and you'll find it in categories by Cycles.

for high school

Cycle 3 (High School):

* Ancient History and Literature – A verse-by-verse reading of the entire Old Testament encourages challenging, practical, daily application. Worldviews of ancient societies and their literature are studied and compared to a Biblical worldview. Each year of high school includes scheduled participation in student-selected community service projects.

* World History and Literature – A verse-by-verse reading of the New Testament is combined with personal application from Experiencing God: Youth Edition and other impacting resources. Church and world histories are studied from the time of Rome to the present.

* US History to 1877 – A Biblical worldview is studied in depth and then used to analyze the diverse worldviews found in early American literature. Worldview disciplines studied include theology, philosophy, biology, psychology, ethics, sociology, law, politics, economics, and history.

* US History 1877 to Present – Concepts and skills for spiritual growth are taught to encourage lifelong habits and practices. These disciplines include in-depth Bible study, Scripture memorization and meditation, and prayer. Literature and history assignments continue to include analysis from a Biblical worldview.

-crystal