Menu

Stupid Stupid School District

My youngest is in 2nd grade in public school.

Last year they switched to a calendar that has the year starting really early (around the first of August), ending in May, and with several week to two week long breaks throughout the year. It's a great calendar.

For some reason (I've yet to determine why) the school board decided to take a vote on whether to leave the already approved calendar as-is or to change it back to a more traditional calendar year. They posted a poll and encouraged parents and students to vote.

This afternoon they released the results. Greater than 70% of all respondents voted to leave the already-approved calendar as-is.

So what did they do? Wait for it....

Yeah. They (the school board) voted to change the calendar anyway.

:banghead::banghead:

It's a good thing this isn't last year or my kid would be missing a couple of weeks of school. We had vacations planned and paid for during those times well in advance.

My youngest is in 2nd grade in public school.

Last year they switched to a calendar that has the year starting really early (around the first of August), ending in May, and with several week to two week long breaks throughout the year. It's a great calendar.

For some reason (I've yet to determine why) the school board decided to take a vote on whether to leave the already approved calendar as-is or to change it back to a more traditional calendar year. They posted a poll and encouraged parents and students to vote.

This afternoon they released the results. Greater than 70% of all respondents voted to leave the already-approved calendar as-is.

So what did they do? Wait for it....

Yeah. They (the school board) voted to change the calendar anyway.

:banghead::banghead:

It's a good thing this isn't last year or my kid would be missing a couple of weeks of school. We had vacations planned and paid for during those times well in advance.

I know these kinds of school boards. It's the absolute power. If the parents had voted to change the calendar back to the old way, they would have kept the new one - no doubt.

No. I meant last year (well...earlier this school year) we took a vacation during the September break and actually had one booked for next week as well until I canceled a couple of weeks ago.

I also had one planned but not yet booked for next September's September break as well.

It's just ridiculous. Why can't they just stick with what's approved and then, if they feel compelled to do so, propose a new calendar when these run out?

What aggravates me the most is the charade of having parents even give their input and then blatantly disregard our wishes. Why bother?

I'm guessing you live in Cobb...I just read about the vote. 70% want to start August 1st and the board still voted to start later....crazy!

Yep. Makes me want to drink copious amounts of red wine. Not the change, necessarily, but the facade of "let's see what you want to do" when really they only want to please their large campaign donors.