Menu

Is Veritas Press Scholars accredited?

What good is an accredited diploma if the accrediting agency seems a bit weak and undemanding?

(not a rhetorical question!)

A very good question, Gwen. I'm looking for something more interactive for ds2 which is online. He's taking 2 AP classes through Florida Virtual School this year and I've seen no spark or love of learning in what I thought would be great classes. I think it's b/c it's just him and his computer. Still on the search, but I was hoping that Veritas Scholars might provide a interesting alternative. I know most online providers aren't accredited, but I thought Veritas might b/c of their school and the rigors of the honors/high honors diploma track.

Lisa

If he's hoping for lively teachers, I don't know that VP is the right place. The teachers are kind, dedicated, erudite people who love the Lord, but they seem more interested in theological discussion than in jazzing up a class to make it fun. I've written before about my daughter, who started this year in two VP classes. I had to dis-enroll her because, in her extreme boredom, she went wild and signed up for Facebook, MySpace, Twitter, and a secret e-mail account during her VP class time. I thought she was typing enthusiastically away because she was participating in the class.:glare: It wasn't that the books bored her (she's reading Suetonius now in her spare time), but the classroom discussion was muted and dreary, according to her. She's now taking her history from K12, which she adores.

I wish VP had worked -- I think it's a great school -- but my excitement-loving child couldn't deal with it.

Lisa & Rebecca, Somewhat of a hijack here, I guess. It's not only your children who aren't finding online lectures thrilling. My daughter is signed up at a good online school but the truth is, for her, too much time online just does not work. As Lisa said, no spark of love or learning. Latin worked well for us with a set up like this but history/lit not so much. And math and science, we had considered having her do those online, too. I can't even imagine what on earth I was thinking! Trying to duplicate school at home was the worst idea I ever had. When she's older (maybe 10th), she can start taking a class each semester at the community college. As for obtaining an accredited diploma, well, that's not necessarily my first concern, but I am looking at MODG, and I would also consider NARHS mainly just to have someone keeping the transcript. I do think PA Homeschoolers courses look like they'd be better for us just because they don't have set meeting times.

Edited by Violet
typos

I've written before about my daughter, who started this year in two VP classes. I had to dis-enroll her because, in her extreme boredom, she went wild and signed up for Facebook, MySpace, Twitter, and a secret e-mail account during her VP class time. I thought she was typing enthusiastically away because she was participating in the class.:glare:

Oh, Rebecca. It's so good to hear trench stories from fellow moms. I can see my ds doing this! He's actually in an excellent lit tutorial that has been a gift, so I'm looking at some of the non-lit offerings. But this is good to keep in mind. We will be *sitting in* on a friend's class next week.

It's not only your children who aren't finding online lectures thrilling. My daughter is signed up at a good online school but the truth is, for her, too much time online just does not work.

Good to hear it's not just my kids. We have had good online experiences, but both of my boys have come to a point in about 10th or 11th where online just doesn't serve them anymore.

As for obtaining an accredited diploma, well, that's not necessarily my first concern, but I am looking at MODG, and I would also consider NARHS mainly just to have someone keeping the transcript.

We aren't interested in an accredited diploma either. But it is helpful to have outside validation through accredited courses. My ds loved PAH. I think part of the problem this year is that the FLVS AP teachers have too many students and aren't as engaged with the class as in years past.

Thanks for weighing in,

Lisa

Regarding ANY on-line class

It's ALWAYS best to see/ know which classes taught by specific instructors fill first.

They are USUALLY the most engaging.

Parents need to look at their child's personality and do THEIR homework.

(NOT a slam - just saying be selective. Be a wise consumer.)

As a parent, I expect to get a good return on any investment of my resources. Any child not engaged once everything else is covered may not be interested, may not find the coursework to be of "value," or may simply want to spend their time doing something else. In that case why pay for it?

If they NEED the class, they do the work. And move on. We've all been in some class/ lecture/ meeting that bored us to tears.

BUT...

Online classes aren't for every learner.