Menu

Questions about high regulation states

I have some questions for those who live in states with high regulation of homeschoolers. I mean like having to turn in names of curriculum, plans, portfolio evaluations, that sort of thing. Not just registration and testing. I am asking these questions because there are current attempts in our state (IL) to increase regulation of homeschoolers. It was "tabled" today but it sounds like it is going to come back in another form. DH and I are thinking about our options if this actually happens here.

Do you feel the state's requirements take a lot of your time to meet ? Are the people you have contact with who evaluate what you turn in easy to work with, or do they seem hostile and out to find something to get you in trouble over ?

If you would prefer a more relaxed style of homeschooling, do you feel your state's regulations force you into being more structured (ie following traditional grade level plans) than you would be otherwise ? Or do you find ways to still do it the way you want to do it (interest led, self paced, etc).

Do you choose to use an "umbrella school" that evaluates your own choices/work and gives credit, in order to make it easier to deal with your state ? How much does the umbrella school get involved in telling you what has to be done to meet their standards ? Does it cost a lot ? Is it difficult to work with the umbrella school ?

Do you choose to use an accredited correspondence school that actually assigns and grades the work, like Calvert, k12, connections academy, laurel springs, etc in order to make it easier to deal with your state ?

Thank you. Just in case things change here, I am wanting to make a plan for how to proceed.

I have a choice of portfolio, test or teacher evaluation.

Usually, I send in a portfolio. This includes a summary of what we have covered and some examples showing progress. I am careful to write the summary to match exactly what I said we would cover the course of study I turned in the year before. They have requested "more" examples a couple of times. Generally, it's a paperwork drill because my expectations are higher than the State's.

They have a list of subjects that we must cover but it's so broad has to not limit us at all. The only irritation is that they want us to teach state "something" EVERY SINGLE YEAR, K-12! (No, the local public schools do not.) I've had to get creative (ie. Learn about State highway rules for the year ds took driver's ed.) Really, how many times can you cover state history?

It's a pain in the neck and takes a couple of days at then end of every year. Yes, I could collect samples all year long, but it's the same amount of time whether it's spread out or not.

They just sent me a notice to send in the end of year portfolio for ds (now 19) so they can complete his file (for college applications - what do they think he is doing NOW?) Mandatory schooling in this state ends at 16, so they had no right to even request it.

I am in Ohio.

I have to submit a Notice of Intent each year with a brief curriculum outline and list of teaching materials and/or textbooks (the last two are both for informational purposes only) with a written narrative indicating that a portfolio of samples of the child's work has been reviewed and that the child's academic progress for the year is in accordance with the child's abilities. Basically, for a small fee, a Certified Ohio teacher, of my own choosing, looks through the children's portfolio's and signs a form letter.

Testing is an option in our state, but I choose the academic assessment, also known as a portfolio review.

The paperwork takes me very little time to complete. I can whip up my curriculum outline in about 20 minutes. My list of teaching materials/textbooks is the same every year with a few updates. Maybe 10 minutes work tops.

We get to choose our own evaluators, so there is no worrying about being easy to work with. I interviewed two highly recommended people and picked the one I liked best.

I do not feel that I need to be more structured than I would like to be because of the states requirements. We could easily be unschoolers if that approach fit our family.

I do not use an umbrella school. It is not necessary. My state's laws are simple to work with. I also do not use an accredited correspondence school.

Do you feel the state's requirements take a lot of your time to meet ? Are the people you have contact with who evaluate what you turn in easy to work with, or do they seem hostile and out to find something to get you in trouble over ?

I'm in PA, and this is my first year of needing to report to the state, so I'm not 100% sure about how things will go. Here, it depends heavily on the local school district; mine is supposedly friendly toward homeschoolers, but one of the others nearby has historically not been friendly.

We get to choose our own evaluator, which is a good thing, though they have to meet the state's requirements. Picking an evaluator who meshes well with us should help to make sure we keep the school district happy.

I have not had to spend a lot of time yet, but I also haven't put together the full portfolio yet either.

If you would prefer a more relaxed style of homeschooling, do you feel your state's regulations force you into being more structured (ie following traditional grade level plans) than you would be otherwise ? Or do you find ways to still do it the way you want to do it (interest led, self paced, etc).

Yes and no. I do manage to keep things fairly relaxed, but I do find myself thinking, "okay, I should put this in the portfolio," so we might do a few things that we might otherwise not have done (namely, more written stuff when we generally prefer oral discussions). But there is a lot of leeway with the PA law.

Do you choose to use an "umbrella school" that evaluates your own choices/work and gives credit, in order to make it easier to deal with your state ?

I don't think using an umbrella school is particularly helpful in PA, unlike say, DE, where it's very useful.

Do you choose to use an accredited correspondence school that actually assigns and grades the work, like Calvert, k12, connections academy, laurel springs, etc in order to make it easier to deal with your state ?

Not sure if this is allowed in PA or not, but even if it was, I would not likely choose it, because I want to be able to select my own curricula.

I live in VA... technically, we're a medium-level state.

I'm required to test or submit a portfolio every year (beginning when the child is 6, usually 1st grade). I think the testing requirement is a bit ridiculous, considering standardized testing doesn't begin in the public schools until 3rd grade. But, OTOH, I'd be testing anyway (just probably not until about 3rd grade!) Also, I'd only be testing my kids once, with the test that gave me the most data... instead of testing twice to ensure the state gets the least amount of data. :lol:

The official letter of intent I submit lists subjects and materials we plan to use. It is probably more detailed than it needs to be. I would probably be doing something like this anyway, simply as a part of my personal planning. It is not much work. We also have the option of "approved" umbrella schools.

Has it changed the way I homeschool? No. Not at all. Has it improved our homeschool? No. Not at all. Has it hurt our homeschool? No.

In all honesty, the amount of paperwork, and accountability from being a part of the state Virtual Academy is more onerous than anything I've had to do for the state.

My brother & sister in law used to live in PA. They opted for an umbrella school program. In all honesty, they did MUCH better with the accountability than they have done since they moved. However... I believe they are now taking serious steps to correct the huge mis-steps of the past 3 years.

So much of how a person responds with or without the authority depends upon their personal philosophy and commitment to educating their children.

I know myself well enough (or I have learned more about myself) over the past several years. I know where my failings are... and where I excel. I try to find what will work best for our family, and each child... and re-evaluate each year. I prefer to "pick and stick" -- but sometimes as we all grow -- that is not an option. I just pray that I continue to have the opportunity to learn and grow as a person, a mother, and a homeschooler without the worry that someone is going to come knocking on my door simply because I registered with the state.

MA is listed as a high reg state, but I do not know anyone here who has ever had issues. Ive been hsing for nearly 9 years, and we've only ever had to send in a Letter of Intent in August. There has been no testing, no portfolio review etc.

This is not true. MA case law states LOI, curriculum, Ed Plan, method of evaluation.(testing, progress report, or dated work samples) And MA is an approval state. Which can make things quite difficult. That is the difference between say, MA and PA.

These case laws can be interpreted differently from town to town. It depends how involved the town is with the homeschoolers. Some towns will ask for everything, and some towns do not even ask for an LOI.

MA has had HSLDA come here on more than once occassion, because the Supt. decides he is not going to "approve" an Ed Plan.

Of course, unschoolers just use "educationese" to design their Ed Plans. Rather then list textbooks and such.

Our case laws are so vague here, it gives towns to much freedom to ask for more then what is necessary. Which in turn, creates problems.

The approval thing is a huge issue. One they should get rid of altogether.

I have been homeschooling 8 years, and I had a problem one time with a new Supt who thought he was going to bully me into submitting 4 progress reports(Again, case law does not state how "many" the school can ask for) and I argued and stood up to him. He backed down finally and agreed to 2.

I hate MA.

Edited by dancer67

OK. It has been true for those I know. :) Towns might ask for certain things the law does not, in fact, require. Know your rights! (Sounds like you did, but you don't even owe them that, not according to Charles-- see below). I'm in a pretty big hs group, encompassing many towns & cities. People are pretty savvy here, and I've not heard any horror stories in all my years. I'm sorry you've had trouble. :( I've only ever done LOT, and nothing more. Towns vary in what they ask, and some do try to overstep. But don't let them.

If a town oversteps, this is the defining law:

Charles Decision: Care and Protection of Charles (1987)

This is not true. MA case law states LOI, curriculum, Ed Plan, method of evaluation.(testing, progress report, or dated work samples) And MA is an approval state. Which can make things quite difficult. That is the difference between say, MA and PA.

These case laws can be interpreted differently from town to town. It depends how involved the town is with the homeschoolers. Some towns will ask for everything, and some towns do not even ask for an LOI.

MA has had HSLDA come here on more than once occassion, because the Supt. decides he is not going to "approve" an Ed Plan.

Of course, unschoolers just use "educationese" to design their Ed Plans. Rather then list textbooks and such.

Our case laws are so vague here, it gives towns to much freedom to ask for more then what is necessary. Which in turn, creates problems.

The approval thing is a huge issue. One they should get rid of altogether.

I have been homeschooling 8 years, and I had a problem one time with a new Supt who thought he was going to bully me into submitting 4 progress reports(Again, case law does not state how "many" the school can ask for) and I argued and stood up to him. He backed down finally and agreed to 2.

I hate MA.

Edited by LibraryLover