Menu

Accidental dog breeding.

My neighbor's yellow lab dug under my fence and bred my daughter's basset hound.

I drove up, and caught him in the act. Now, Daisy is getting thick around the middle, so I'm pretty sure she is pregnant.

She is a good sized basset, do I need to worry that the puppies will be too big for her to deliver?

Where can I find info on dog prenatal care?

Since this happened, I have moved her behind more fences, and put one of my Great Pyrenees between her and the neighbors. I hope that is enough to keep him at home.

Sophie the vet can probably tell you some better ideas, but I will give it a shot. I used to breed Shetland Sheepdogs and have whelped several liters.

1. Any dog can have a Big puppy first in the birth canal that can cause problems. The only way to know for sure is to have her xrayed. Most dogs have no problems and I never xrayed mind, I am just saying if you want to know for sure.

2. I used to add a bit of yogurt to there food when they were pregnant and just feed a high quality dog food.

3. As for keeping Mr. Lab next door out, when they scent a female in heat they are difficult to deter. I believe you can buy a spray to help hide the scent. I used to just keep my girls crated when in heat unless I was walking them etc.

If you have questions when she is closer to whelping just ask.

Are you planning on getting the Basset Hound fixed? Because if you had planned to breed her (y'know, on purpose, to another Basset Hound) you may have trouble getting her puppies papered since she has already whelped a litter of mixed breed, love child puppies. Just FYI.

Are you planning on getting the Basset Hound fixed? Because if you had planned to breed her (y'know, on purpose, to another Basset Hound) you may have trouble getting her puppies papered since she has already whelped a litter of mixed breed, love child puppies. Just FYI.

Why? I know nothing of breeding but was curious as to why it would be difficult to get them papered. It isn't as if the lab's sperm would survive that long.....

Thanks, guys.

We will get her fixed as soon as we can.

Dh did want to breed her just because she has nice confirmation, and an awesome temperament. That's why she isn't already spayed like the rest of our dogs are.

I know, it is weird how some dog papering works. I know very little about dog breeding/showing, but I know that my aunt's lab Hershey had love child puppies, and after that they couldn't get any of her subsequent puppies papered, because apparently Hershey was a ruined woman.

Hi Amy,

You might end up with some cute puppies, I see all kinds of interesting mixes and Bassett/Lab is not that bad.

Dog gestation is 63 days, so that should give you a rough idea of when she is due. After 45-50 days you can take an x-ray and count pups if you want to know, it may also help you see the size of the heads, but she may not have any trouble at all. Check out plenty of books from the library. AKC recommended books are usually good. Prepare a place for her to whelp. As the day gets closer start taking her rectal temp two to three times a day. Normal is 100.0 to 102.0. Her temp will suddenly drop a degree or two and this will signal that she is within 24 hrs. of first stage labor. First stage is basically nesting, restlessness, lack of appetite. Second stage is when you may see some amnionic fluid or mucus being passed and she is actively straining/contracting. It may be a couple of hours before you see the first pup and a couple of hours between each one. They each come with their own sack which mom will probably break off with her teeth and consume. The less intervention on your part the better as long as things are progressing well. Once the pups are here make sure that mom is cleaning them and that they are nursing and warm, you may need a heat lamp.

Reasons to call the vet are: if she is straining for longer than two hours with no results, if it is longer than two hours between pups and you know there are more coming.

If for some reason a pup seems "stuck" but the head and feet are there, you can wash up well and gently manipulate the puppy out.

Let me know how it all turns out!

Pups need to be vaxed at 6 weeks and giving them to new homes at 7 weeks is ideal. New owners should be aware that they need boosters at 10, 14, and 18 weeks.

Soph

I agree, how fun!

We just obtained some puppies whose dad is a lab and whose mother is a mostly-basset hound mix. (Don't care a derned thing about papers here. LOL) They're cute! Ours look like labs, but are much smaller. We've a male and a female (yes, I know!) and the male has more hound in him - you can see it in the way his legs meet his body, and he's quite a bit smaller (shorter) than his sister.

Anyway. How fun that we have a vet on the forum here! Thanks for posting, Soph!

argh!!

I think I'd give the neighbor the vet bills and shot bills and puppy food bills.

add in a nice little basic division example of how much half the bill would cost.

with a nice note to find a better way to contain their dog.

=======================

here's a pretty thorough site on breeding, puppy embryo/fetal development, and whelping:

http://www.k9web.com/dog-faqs/medical/whelping.html

not sure about the difficulty in registering later litters???? I'd like to hear more about that too.

Obviously it's too late now, but for future reference. I had 12" neighbor dog climb a 6' fence to get to my golden once. Off to the vet we went for a shot or pill--don't remember which. I had her spayed shortly thereafter.

Terri

Woohoo! Party on! I have a Bassett/Lab cross I got from the shelter....... he is now 8 years old and the best dog I could ever have with kids. He's a doll!! He has the body of a lab.... the head and short legs of a bassett! He's the funniest looking thing around..:lol:

These guys are practically twins....

100_0639-1.jpg